Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Box treatment  (Read 3329 times)

Offline Sledin

• New Bee
Box treatment
« on: June 15, 2019, 09:14:11 pm »
I just bought a bunch of new deep boxes and had the thought of just treating the assembled boxes by charing the outside with a tiger torch.
Anybody do that?
Or how do you wax treat them?
I?d rather not use paint.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline yes2matt

• Field Bee
  • Urban setting, no acaricides
    • Love Me Some Honey
Re: Box treatment
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2019, 10:04:19 pm »
I have never done this because I don't have the equipment,
http://www.bushfarms.com/beesdipping.htm

what I have done is painted with "boiled linseed oil" heated enough to melt in some beeswax, painted on hot.  Latex paint from the mistint section is easier and cheaper, for me.

On the inside, I have I have an oscillating tool, and a rasp bit for it, and I scour the inside of the box to encourage the bees to deposit propolis. Cf. T Seeley's recent research. While I'm at it, I route a 1/4" groove in the center of each short side, for the purpose of just-in-case I need to put in a divider board someday, I don't have to route inside an assembled box, and I don't have to go searching the yard for a box with a groove, because they all have it. :)

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2019, 09:18:29 am »
I just bought a bunch of new deep boxes and had the thought of just treating the assembled boxes by charing the outside with a tiger torch.
Anybody do that?

Lauri on the other site is famous for doing this.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Offline Sledin

• New Bee
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2019, 10:01:32 am »
Anybody do that?

Lauri on the other site is famous for doing this.

Any problem with doing it?
I?m in Canada so the dark colour might be good.
Paint sounds like too much work and too slow.
And justifying a new tool is good too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Oldbeavo

• Queen Bee
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2019, 07:00:31 pm »
Hot dipping in bees wax and linseed oil will preserve them for years.
If dipped at 150 degrees for 6-10 minutes it will boil the moisture out of the wood and as the box cools it will suck the wax into the wood. Once cooled a quick dip back to put a coat of wax on the outside will preserve it for years. Local BK here gets about 12-15 years out of this process.
We do the 6-10 minutes and let the wax soak in but once dry but still hot we coat with quick dry paving paint, wait a few minutes for it to dry and recoat with another coat of paint.
You can go from raw box to dipped and 2 coats of paint in !2-14 minutes.

Offline yes2matt

• Field Bee
    • Love Me Some Honey
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2019, 09:55:57 pm »
Hot dipping in bees wax and linseed oil will preserve them for years.
If dipped at 150 degrees for 6-10 minutes it will boil the moisture out of the wood and as the box cools it will suck the wax into the wood. Once cooled a quick dip back to put a coat of wax on the outside will preserve it for years. Local BK here gets about 12-15 years out of this process.
We do the 6-10 minutes and let the wax soak in but once dry but still hot we coat with quick dry paving paint, wait a few minutes for it to dry and recoat with another coat of paint.
You can go from raw box to dipped and 2 coats of paint in !2-14 minutes.

What is your wax:oil ratio?   

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2019, 10:29:58 pm »
This is what I like to use.

https://ecowoodtreatment.com/
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline saltybluegrass

• House Bee
  • My Bible is living with bee energy one desire
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2019, 10:54:31 pm »

I?m going to confirm in real time the quote you use as your signature.
I started a locksmith business on the skin of my teeth with videos and questions really before the internet blew up. 2007.
When I took on a partner in 2009 that brought years of experience, he continued to ask me how and why I use certain procedures.
I told him that no one taught me different. He adopted many ways I used into his arsenal.
So yes. Don?t listen to any naysayers- Forge Ahead and you may create a million dollar business as I did. Or something better!!
And I think to myself, what a wonderful world
Then all else falls in line
It?s up to me

Offline CoolBees

• Queen Bee
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2019, 11:36:14 pm »

Iddee - thank you for the recommendation. Can you say how long the boxes typically last with this treatment?
You cannot permanently help men by doing for them, what they could and should do for themselves - Abraham Lincoln

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2019, 12:43:32 am »
Some good suggestions here from iddee and yestomatt (with Mr Bushes link) . You might also like this method By kamon Reynolds of Tennessee.

https://youtu.be/HX9T7j8dfnc
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2019, 06:49:50 am »

Iddee,
That sounds like it is nothing more than liquid iron.
Liquid iron (used for trees and certain plants) turns wood a gray silvery color just like it was aged in the weather a long time. I have used it on wood and it turns it gray in minutes.
Jim Altmiller
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline Oldbeavo

• Queen Bee
« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2019, 07:57:24 am »
With the price of bees wax being so high we use paraffin and microcrystaline wax in a 75/ 25 ratio.
My friend is still using bees wax and linseed, I will get his ratio.
Bees wax in Australia at present A$16+ per kilo, not refined. Which is about US$5.00 per pound.

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2019, 08:08:16 am »
Cool, he have been using it 8 or 9 years now, with no visible damage.
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #13 on: June 18, 2019, 08:15:28 am »

Any problem with doing it?
I?m in Canada so the dark colour might be good.

She lives in Oregon near the Canadian boarder and it is quite wet.  You will have to ask her how long it last.  Trees that are burnt seem to last a long time after a forest fire.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Offline CoolBees

• Queen Bee
« Reply #14 on: June 18, 2019, 03:05:13 pm »
Cool, he have been using it 8 or 9 years now, with no visible damage.

Thank you Sir.
You cannot permanently help men by doing for them, what they could and should do for themselves - Abraham Lincoln

Offline Oldbeavo

• Queen Bee
« Reply #15 on: June 18, 2019, 07:24:46 pm »
Just watched the video.
We run the wax at 300 degrees F, when the box is removed the wax soaks in quicker and so can be painted once the wax has soaked in.
If you use cheap welding gloves the heat does not come through them.
Same principle as the video.

Offline yes2matt

• Field Bee
    • Love Me Some Honey
« Reply #16 on: June 19, 2019, 07:57:18 am »
With the price of bees wax being so high we use paraffin and microcrystaline wax in a 75/ 25 ratio.
My friend is still using bees wax and linseed, I will get his ratio.
Bees wax in Australia at present A$16+ per kilo, not refined. Which is about US$5.00 per pound.
Sorry to be dull, but to clarify, thats 75 wax to 25 oil?
Beeswax is expensive here too, as is boiled linseed oil. And a dip would take a lot of both. That's why I have been using paint. Tho I might look up Iddee's solution.

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
« Reply #17 on: June 19, 2019, 08:09:26 am »
`Matt, we sell it at Beez Needz, and you can see what the hives look like after time.

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #18 on: June 19, 2019, 11:34:19 am »
The reference to 150 degrees above is centigrade.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline Oldbeavo

• Queen Bee
« Reply #19 on: June 19, 2019, 08:25:26 pm »
Yes2matt
The ratio is 75% paraffin wax and 25% Microcrystaline wax.
In Australia, microcrystalline is more than twice the price of paraffin. If you could get microcrystalline cheaper then you can increase the amount of micro to up to 50%.
Some BK's have gone lower than 25% micro but you run the risk of the paraffin bleeding out in hot weather.
Your dipper needs to be twice the depth of the wax it holds, our dipper is 26" deep (660mm) and has a lid. The lid has some mesh weld under it deep enough to hold the box under the wax.
The lid is essential to hold the heat in while heating up and in use.

Offline Oldbeavo

• Queen Bee
« Reply #20 on: June 20, 2019, 06:55:56 am »
For those interested the bees wax - linseed oil mix for hot dipping is; 20kg wax and 5 litres of linseed. these are dipped for 10 min, let cool  and redipped , in and out just to add a sealing layer.
They expect to get 15 years from this process.