Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Pollen and Other Specialty Bee Products (Re: Today I Made)  (Read 9021 times)

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
Pollen and Other Specialty Bee Products (Re: Today I Made)
« on: September 13, 2023, 06:42:30 am »
People eat the pollen.  It's most palatable (and perishable) in it's "just harvested" form (still moist).  But keeps the best if dried.  It has a lot of nutritional value, which you can find online.  Protein, B vitamins etc.

Propolis is used by people in many forms.  Some make it into a tincture.  Some just chew it like gum.  Some freeze it and, while frozen, pulverize it into a powder and put it in capsules.  The properties are that it is antimicrobial, so the tincture is used as mouthwash and gargle.  The capsules are used as an immune booster.

Another byproduct is royal jelly.

I usually do the beeswax in small pieces (usually a cute mold of some kind).  People often buy it to wax thread.  And of course there are candles, soap and lip balm &c.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2023, 11:51:18 pm by The15thMember »
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline Lesgold

• Queen Bee
Re: Re: Today I Made
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2023, 05:24:22 pm »
Thanks Michael. I?ve never tried to harvest or sell propolis. It would be a simple task to collect it but I?m not sure if there is a market for it here. I suppose there is one way to find out. I?m sure that it is a valuable by product of beekeeping. I designed and built a pollen trap about 10 years ago but wasn?t sure what to do with it when I collected it. In the end, I gave it back to the bees. Would love to learn more about these products. Looks like Google is going to get a workout.

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2023, 10:17:47 pm »
Les the following was taken for a post in the Topic: https://beemaster.com/forum/index.php?topic=55038.msg501245#msg501245

Bee Pollen Facts

Nutritional Benefits of Pollen
A supply of of bee pollen is like holding a whole health food store in the palm of your hand. With the addition of roughage and water, the human body can survive on honeybee pollen alone. This is because it is the only food which contains, in perfect balance, all 22 known essential nutritional elements which humans require to achieve and maintain optimum vitality.

Bee Pollen Nutritional Analysis
(The following table provides an analysis of the average bee pollen content.)
VITAMINS              MINERALS
1. Provitamin A              17. Calcium
2. B1 Thiamine             18   Phosphorous
3. B2 Riboflavin              19. Potassium
4. Niacin                      20. Sulphur
5. B6 Pyridoxine              21. Sodium
6. Pantothenic Acid      22. Chlorine
7. Biotin                      23. Magnesium
8.B12 (cyanocobalamin 24. Iron
9. Folic Acid              25. Manganese
10. Choline              26. Copper
11. Inositol              27. Iodine
12. Vitamin C              28. Zinc
13. Vitamin D              29. Silicon
14. Vitamin E              30. Molybdenum
15. Vitamin K              31. Boron
16. Rutin                      32. Titaniun

ENZYMES/CO-ENZYMES   PROTEIN/AMINO ACIDS
33. Amylase              51. Isoleucine
34. Diastase              52. Leucine
35. Saccharase              53. Lysine
36. Pectase              54. Methionine
37. Phosphatase      55. Phenylalanine
38. Catalase              56. Threonine
39. Disphorase              57. Tryptophan
40. Cozymase              58. Valine
41. Cytochrome systems 59. Histidine
42. 24 Ixudiredyctases.  60. Arginine
43. 21 Transferases       61. Cystine
44. 33 Hydrolases       62. Tyrosine
45. 11 Lyases               63. Alanine
46. 5 Isomerases       64. Asparatic Acid
47. Pepsin                       65. Glutamic Acid
48. Trypsin               66.Hydroxyproline
49. Lactic dehydrogenase   67.Proline
50. Succinic dehydrogenase 68. Serine
69. Nucleic acids       83. Hypoxalthine
70. Flavonoids               84. Nuclein
71. Phenolic acids       85. Amines
72. Tarpenes               86. Lecithin
73. Nucleosides               87. Xanthophylls
74. Auxins                       88. Crocetin
75. Fructose               89. Zeaxanthin
76. Glucose               90. Lycopene
77. Brassins               91. Hexodecanal
78. Gibberellins               92. Monoglycerides
79. Kinins                       93. Diglycerides
80. Vernine               94. Triglycerides
81. Guanine               95. Pentosans
82. Xanthine               96. Alpha-aminobutyric acid
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline Lesgold

• Queen Bee
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2023, 10:25:42 pm »
I?d better get some and add it to my breakfast cereal lol.

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2023, 10:40:13 pm »

There is an older gentleman who lives close to me who is a youtuber. Tim Durham "The Walls Beeman".
A few years ago before I had a pollen trap I went and visited Tim for the purpose of buying some pollen. He had a Little Red Wagon, the type kids are pulled in,.  Filled to the rim with one pound bags of pollen which would soon be added to the freezer for storage, assuring it would be fresh upon upcoming sales. I had never seen so much pollen..

Tim has been keeping bees since a young age. He has very interesting stories to tell including the time he removed a colony of bees from a sixties TV stars home. Aunt Bee was her television character name on the popular American Television series; "The Andy Griffith Show..."  He said she carried herself exactly as she did on the TV show, including bringing him a tray with a nice lunch on it.... He was living in North Carolina at the time..  Tim is quiet a character himself! lol

« Last Edit: September 13, 2023, 10:55:35 pm by Ben Framed »
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Traveler of the Multiverse, Seeker of Knowledge
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2023, 12:04:15 am »
Nutritional Benefits of Pollen
A supply of of bee pollen is like holding a whole health food store in the palm of your hand. With the addition of roughage and water, the human body can survive on honeybee pollen alone. This is because it is the only food which contains, in perfect balance, all 22 known essential nutritional elements which humans require to achieve and maintain optimum vitality.

Bee Pollen Nutritional Analysis
(The following table provides an analysis of the average bee pollen content.)
"Average" is really the key word here.  Not all plants have all these nutrients in their pollen, but if you have a great variety of pollen from many species, you are likely to get all these different constituents.  This means that the more colorful the pollen the better.  Unfortunately, uninformed consumers usually only like orange and yellow pollen, based on what I see in my local retailers. 

That's what I do, put it in my oatmeal or on my yogurt.  I also put it on salads.  It's got a mild flowery flavor, although it's a little bitter straight up. 
I come from under the hill, and under the hills and over the hills my paths led.  And through the air, I am she that walks unseen.

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2023, 12:48:17 am »
"The15thMember"[/b][/color]
"Average" is really the key word here.  Not all plants have all these nutrients in their pollen, but if you have a great variety of pollen from many species, you are likely to get all these different constituents.  This means that the more colorful the pollen the better.  Unfortunately, uninformed consumers usually only like orange and yellow pollen, based on what I see in my local retailers.

What you say makes sense Reagan. In most situations the bees will collect an 'average crop of pollern. A mixture of pollen from a variety of plants (different colors in the mix) as you described. Now, if the hives are placed on a 'specific crop' with no other source of pollen available for long distances, we might get a one color or one source or variety of pollen. I confess, I had not thought of your good point, to even fathom coming to the sensible conclusion that you have reached.
Therefore I do not know which plants may be 'limited' in not having the above ingredients on the chart.. 

Did you find a source which explains this further, and list which specific plants might lack the all around nutrients which are listed?

Thanks for your input Reagan,

Phillip

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2023, 12:55:13 am »
Les Im not trying to hijack your good topic by transforming it into a pollen subject . If you will allow this conversation to continue and if enough folks chime in, perhaps Reagan or I will split these pollen post away to form a new topic if you would prefer.

Thanks,

Phillip

Offline Lesgold

• Queen Bee
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2023, 03:12:47 am »
It?s all good Phillip. I have never really looked into pollen so any comments are good from my perspective. Keep the conversation going please. I have a question in relation to drying pollen. How do you dry and then store the pollen?

Offline NigelP

• House Bee
« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2023, 04:03:45 am »
Several ways of drying, but don't dry too much. I think the required mositure level for srorage at room temp is 8% water. Dehumidifyer and fan, one of those food dehydrators, sun dry etc. I'm told it's trial and error, weight at start and weigh at end to estimate lost water.
Hard bit is getting fan set up to pour pollen through the airflow to remove all the lighter bee bits,  legs and stuff that end up in the trapped pollen.  There are commercial machiunes availablke to do this, but incredibly expensive for what is basically a niche product.

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2023, 07:40:29 am »
My point is, you don't have to sell something for it to get someone to stop and talk about it.  And that may sell some honey.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline Lesgold

• Queen Bee
« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2023, 07:47:14 am »
Good point Michael. Even to have some on display would add to the conversation.

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2023, 07:57:01 am »
The local beekeepers in my area don't dry it. They simply zip lock bag it and put it in the freezer, keeping it as fresh and preserved as the day it was taken from the colony.  The bag is first labeled, placed on a scale, then filled to the desired weight, usually a pound here, then frozen for keeping. It is my understanding the health conscious folks are the main customers and prefer to obtain it as 'close' to fresh and natural as possible. The instructions for the consumer are to keep the bag refrigerated for freshness.

Phillip

Offline max2

• Queen Bee
« Reply #13 on: September 14, 2023, 08:12:46 am »
Nigel - would you have a list of the nutritional value of " lighter bee bits,  legs and stuff" and probably "bees knees" ?
They maybe of even greater value then the pollen :grin:
( not wanting to move the discussion away from pollen!)

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #14 on: September 14, 2023, 11:22:16 am »
author=max2 link=topic=56161.msg520750#msg520750 date=1694689966]
Nigel - would you have a list of the nutritional value of " lighter bee bits,  legs and stuff" and probably "bees knees" ?
They maybe of even greater value then the pollen :grin:
( not wanting to move the discussion away from pollen!)

Hi Max, It's nice to see your have a humorous side.   :grin:

With a 'proper' pollen collector, (such derbies as you describe), are held to an 'absolute' minimum. The pollen collector has a cover with does not allow loose derbies from the hive to fall into the area of collection, leaving 'beautiful, (in my opinion), pollen for harversing. Sorry to disappoint you if you were counting on the added nutritional properties of "lighter bee bits,  legs and stuff" and probably "bees knees" in an amount to be noticed.
'If' you would 'prefer' those nutrients, you might have to resort to simply eating your bees instead.   :wink:
After all, I have heard that insects are on the suggested menu by some extremist fanatical groups in the world...  'Believe it or not!!!'
Thanks for the smile!  :grin:

Offline The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Traveler of the Multiverse, Seeker of Knowledge
« Reply #15 on: September 14, 2023, 11:55:41 am »
I have a question in relation to drying pollen. How do you dry and then store the pollen?
I just use my tabletop dehydrator on its lowest setting and then store in glass jars.  As Phillip mentioned, if it's not dried it must be stored in the fridge or freezer because it has the tendency to mold. 
I come from under the hill, and under the hills and over the hills my paths led.  And through the air, I am she that walks unseen.

Offline max2

• Queen Bee
« Reply #16 on: September 14, 2023, 05:42:20 pm »
After all, I have heard that insects are on the suggested menu by some extremist fanatical groups in the world...  'Believe it or not!!!'

In Asia, insects are eaten as part of a high protein diat.
You will see sellers at every market

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #17 on: September 14, 2023, 08:33:01 pm »
In Asia, insects are eaten as part of a high protein diat.
You will see sellers at every market

Yes I suppose different cultures in different parts of the World have have different eating habits and diets as handed down through tradition. For instance, Pork is a no no in some countries... Bull Frogs are considered a delicacy in my area of America. Even so I would not expect others not accustomed to enjoy. Just as I would not enjoy monkey brains as eaten in some other countries.
Insects for me, no thanks, but Bull Frogs prefer them lol. Are bugs a part of the diet in your country Max? I have not heard as much if so..

Now pollen: I don't know if folks from any country are opposed to nutritionally rich pollen?  What is your opinion of pollen Max? Are you a fan?

Phillip

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #18 on: September 14, 2023, 08:41:33 pm »
Les when you 'made' your pollen trap did you make a video of it?

Offline Lesgold

• Queen Bee
« Reply #19 on: September 14, 2023, 10:07:06 pm »
No I didn?t. I actually threw it out about 12 months ago when I decided to clean up the workshop. I thought it would?ve a piece of equipment that I wouldn?t use so out it went. Regretting that decision now. I?m really interested in the whole pollen and propolis discussion. I think they deserve their own threads, especially when people want to look back or search particular topics. There is a bunch of questions I want to ask as I think Michael is right about presenting both items at markets as educational displays. Building a reasonable knowledge base would be a good start.

anything