Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Like a thief in the night!!  (Read 2129 times)

Offline sparks

• New Bee
Like a thief in the night!!
« on: June 25, 2009, 01:58:01 pm »
Since there have been a couple of threads about harvest and crush and strain I thought I would jump in here. 

I knew there was some great stuff going on in the first year nuc (1 of 3 hives started this year, others are packages) so I opened up the top medium box today (the three under it are very happily doing the brood thing) and pulled out three nice full frames of white capped honey.

After doing a crush and strain the honey is slowly seeping through the three filters into the five gallon bucket.  It looks like I will be getting about 10 to 15 lbs of really nice honey out of it. 

Until I get into the big time I will continue to take frames when I can (of course leaving enough for the gals to get through the short mild winters that we have here) and doing crush and strain. 

Is it just me or does your first harvest of honey taste like the best you have ever eaten?

yummmm!

Chuck

Offline mherndon

• House Bee
  • New Bee
Re: Like a thief in the night!!
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2009, 02:01:47 pm »
Mine tastes better! :-D

Mark
Starting my 3rd year and still having a ball!

Offline BeeHopper

• Queen Bee
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2009, 02:05:39 pm »
Yeah, I'll always remember my first honey  :)

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Galactic Bee
  • I really look like this, just ask Cindi.
    • http://spaces.msn.com/thecoonsden
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2009, 01:29:06 am »

Me too, her name was Laurie.....Oh you meant real honey.  I well remember my first harvest 50 years ago, nothing tastes as good as that first nibble of raw honey from your own hives.
Life is a school.  What have you learned?   :brian:      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!

Offline BeeHopper

• Queen Bee
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2009, 07:21:25 am »

Me too, her name was Laurie.....Oh you meant real honey.  I well remember my first harvest 50 years ago, nothing tastes as good as that first nibble of raw honey from your own hives.

Suuuuuuuuuuuure  ;)

Every time I inspect a hive, I poke my finger into some capped comb at the top of a frame and taste, always a delight, but at the same time, the house bees give me this look  :roll: " Clean up in isle 4 "

Offline annette

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2009, 12:15:21 pm »
Well I took 1 frame of honey and did crush and strain yesterday. Got a little over 4 lbs, it was the best honey I ever had to date.  Even looked different from other years.  Was darker in color.

I agree that it is the best fresh from the hive.  I have noticed that the taste changes a bit after some time.

Offline mick

• Queen Bee
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2009, 03:02:56 am »
I agree there is nothing like tasting honey from your own hive for the first time. I think beekeepers would be around the 0.000% something of the population. The realisation that you can keep bees and make honey, the joy of actually knowing that "your" bees made honey is pure magic!

anything