Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Honey bound nuc  (Read 1294 times)

Offline Bush_84

• Field Bee
Honey bound nuc
« on: August 09, 2017, 02:39:40 pm »
So my last round of queen rearing went better than the first. I split a hive up into Nucs and one is in an interesting situation. I haven't seen the queen but I have seen a few eggs. I'll be honest I haven't had a chance to sift through it in depth to find her.  It was just a quick glance. Anyways...this nuc and another is in the original location of the original.. So it's strong. As a result it has filled this nuc with honey. It had an empty frame and a frame with foundation in addition to three drawn combs. I assumed that since it was strong and we still have a flow they'd be building comb. They've built a little but there's nowhere for the queen to lay. I don't have any extra comb laying around. So my first thought is to find a frame of brood from another hive and swap out one of the honey frames. If that doesn't work I may combine it with one of my other Nucs. Other thoughts?
Keeping bees since 2011.

Also please excuse the typos.  My iPad autocorrect can be brutal.

Offline GSF

• Galactic Bee
Re: Honey bound nuc
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2017, 02:51:10 pm »
Giving the queen a place to lay is a good idea, otherwise she'll be hanging in a tree :oops:
When the law no longer protects you from the corrupt, but protects the corrupt from you - then you know your nation is doomed.

Van, Arkansas, USA

« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2017, 03:30:24 pm »
I like the way GSF texted "hanging in a tree", good advice.  If I read your text correctly, you have a FLOW, now 2nd week of August.  Count your blessing.  Very few flowers in N. Arkansas, I had to feed 3 hives this day, very few stores in 3 out of 20 plus hives.  As I mentioned in an earlier text, this immediate area received 0.25 inch of rain in July.  However August has been good over 1 inch so far.

I repeat,  you have a FLOW?!?????  ,,I'm envious!!!!! 
Blessings

Offline Bush_84

• Field Bee
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2017, 05:14:54 pm »
Ya we are nearing the end. Golden rod just showed up last week. Once that pops up in the ditches it's time to start giving fall prep a thought. It'll last a bit longer but it's the last thing to bloom. I can't complain to much about this year. I went from three hives this spring to 14 currently. I was also able to put about twelve supers on and they are essentially all full. Some are still ripening but I expect to harvest them in a couple of weeks.

Edit-Any other ideas other than what I suggested?
Keeping bees since 2011.

Van, Arkansas, USA

« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2017, 05:32:02 pm »
"12 full supers" your killing me with envy.
Blessings

Offline Bush_84

• Field Bee
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2017, 06:39:26 pm »
We have had a constant flow starting in July in my area. That honey came from my three overwintered hives and two packages. Two of my overwintered hives had three supers and the rest have two. The rest of my hives are Nucs. Also keep in mine I run 8 frame equipment. That changes things a bit.

Edit-my bees have been so angry off lately. Today I went to do something about it. Figured it'd be quick so no smoker. Daughter got three stings to the head and I got one to the butt. I took a brood frame from one of my hives and gave it to them and swapped out the foundation frame. I then gave it an empty deep and a super. I took one of the frames from below and put it above with empty frames (all I have). The super on top has freshly extracted combs. I'm hoping they may move the honey up and this drives them to start making more comb.
Keeping bees since 2011.

Offline Bush_84

• Field Bee
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2017, 09:01:23 pm »
I'll try to check in on them in a few days. If things aren't better I'll have to extract and feed back.
Keeping bees since 2011.

anything