Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: How do you feed, looking for most natural and effective  (Read 1209 times)

Offline Simondsrach

• New Bee
How do you feed, looking for most natural and effective
« on: March 15, 2017, 11:42:43 am »
So I don't want to feed my bees more than nessicary... I'm not worried about harvesting honey  unless there is enough past what the bees need ... since I am getting packages bees I'm realizing I will need to feed the bees when they arrive and be prepared to maybe feed for the winter as well... my bee hive kit came with an entrance feeder ... but most beekeepers seem to use an internal top feeder ... would this be a wise investment or do u think the entrance feeder I have will be sufficient

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
Re: How do you feed, looking for most natural and effective
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2017, 11:51:27 am »
Entrance feeders are fine in spring. Once the honey flow is over and there's few or no flowers blooming, entrance feeders are a death trap. They will bring robbing bees from a mile away and kill your hive out.

Feeding should be done anytime the honey stores are low, year round. Lifting the hive an inch will tell you how many stores you have.
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2017, 01:54:23 pm »
You can put the jar over the hole in the inner cover with an extra empty box (and duct tape to close any excess space to keep the bees out of that empty box).
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline Rurification

• Field Bee
    • Rurification
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2017, 01:59:18 pm »
I stopped using the entrance feeders after they sparked some massive robbing.   

If the hole in your inner cover isn't the right size, you can improvise an easy inside feeder by putting a piece of screen the size of the box over the frames, setting your jar/s [upside down, with the holes in the lid] on the screen and putting an empty medium around it.   a quart jar fits nicely inside a medium.   Then your lids on top.   You can check and change out jars quickly and safely without smoking or gear on because the screen keeps everybody down.   

If you use an inner cover, make sure the notch is up so no bees can get in with your jars.
Robin Edmundson
www.rurification.com

Beekeeping since 2012

Offline little john

• Super Bee
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2017, 06:39:56 pm »
If the hole in your inner cover isn't the right size, you can improvise an easy inside feeder by putting a piece of screen the size of the box over the frames, setting your jar/s [upside down, with the holes in the lid] on the screen and putting an empty medium around it. 

Yes.  Another way is to make an adapter with the right size hole for the jar. Here I've made a 'doughnut' from plywood.  Fix mesh over if you're feeding syrup, or leave the hole open (as here) if feeding fondant or damp-set sugar.

LJ
A Heretics Guide to Beekeeping - http://heretics-guide.atwebpages.com

Offline herbhome

• Field Bee
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2017, 09:35:39 pm »
I like to use a hive top feeder like already described. I have 2 gallon plastic buckets with 6 small holes in the center. Invert bucket and place over inner cover hole. It's big enough to cover the hole and keep the bees in. Then cover bucket with empty deep hive body and cover. To check level just pull cover and you can usually see what's left. I will take an erasable marker and mark the level with a date notation so I can track it.

I can't recall drill size for the holes but a heated paper clip should do it. Also invert the feeder away from the hive and wait for the initial flow to stop as it will run out fast until vacuum stops it.

Hope that was helpful. :smile:
Neill