Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Branches and orientation  (Read 5805 times)

Offline KD4MOJ

• Field Bee
  • Bees... Motorcycles... amateur radio...
    • TangleWood Apiary
Re: Branches and orientation
« Reply #20 on: May 14, 2010, 04:54:07 pm »
I was thinking(something new) when doing a spit and your putting something over the entrance of the spit why not put something over the main hive entrance also.

Well that depends... which one are you moving? If your original hive stays put and your split is the one you are relocating, there is no reason to "branch" the main hive. They already know where home is.  :-D Only the one that you move needs to reorient.

...DOUG
KD4MOJ

Offline MacfromNS

• House Bee
« Reply #21 on: May 15, 2010, 07:56:02 am »
I was thinking(something new) when doing a spit and your putting something over the entrance of the spit why not put something over the main hive entrance also.

Well that depends... which one are you moving? If your original hive stays put and your split is the one you are relocating, there is no reason to "branch" the main hive. They already know where home is.  :-D Only the one that you move needs to reorient.

...DOUG
KD4MOJ

What I was thinking was the ones that wanted to go back to the main hive would see that things done look the same anymore there.
The most beautiful thing is to see a person smiling.
And even more beautiful is knowing that you are the reason behind it!!!
Mac

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #22 on: May 15, 2010, 10:09:14 am »
No matter what you do they will fly back to the old place.  The difference, when forcing them to reorient, is that they get back to the old place, can't find the hive and then think... "oh yea, I remember that branch now..."  and head back to the new place.  They will continue to go back to the old place for a couple of days out of habit every time.  Without the branch they will circle in wider and wider circles until they find an hive and move in.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline Occam

• House Bee
« Reply #23 on: March 05, 2024, 10:27:59 pm »
Reviving an old thread here. I saw a member mentioned using a robber screen wondering if this would work to make the bees reorient. Has this ever worked for y'all? I know draping a branch over it can work, but was curious if a robber screen would work myself and then read this
Entities must not be multiplied beyond necessity

Online BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #24 on: March 06, 2024, 12:43:09 am »
Occam,
More than likely they will have to re orient to the new entrance so it should do the same. If you try it let us know how it works out.
Jim Altmiller
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #25 on: March 06, 2024, 06:07:02 am »
Anything that blocks their normal path will cause them to reorient.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #26 on: March 06, 2024, 11:25:54 am »
Reviving an old thread here. I saw a member mentioned using a robber screen wondering if this would work to make the bees reorient. Has this ever worked for y'all? I know draping a branch over it can work, but was curious if a robber screen would work myself and then read this

Occam, Is this your only hive? The robbing screen is usually used in the residing location which bees are accustomed.  In this case you will not only be moving the hive, but adding the robbing screen simultaneously?

Let us know how this works out...

Phillip
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline Occam

• House Bee
« Reply #27 on: March 06, 2024, 01:39:52 pm »
Well I was thinking of it in regards to having a swarm trap on my property or a neighbors. In either case the colony would only be moved a few hundred yards at most. Was thinking a robber screen might work to force a reorient as well as a branch
« Last Edit: March 06, 2024, 02:03:45 pm by Occam »
Entities must not be multiplied beyond necessity

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #28 on: March 06, 2024, 01:43:23 pm »
Wellness was thinking of it in regards to having a swarm trap on my property or a neighbors. In either case the colony would only be moved a few hundred yards at most. Was thinking a robber screen might work to force a reorient as well as a branch

And it might. I like your thinking outside of the box. Let us know how it works out..
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

anything