Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: corn fields--part of honey flow??  (Read 15507 times)

Offline SgtMaj

• Queen Bee
Re: corn fields--part of honey flow??
« Reply #20 on: July 04, 2008, 04:24:23 am »
I usually get aphids on my willow tree.  This year so far they've stayed off the willow but are covering the corn in large tight clusters.  Definate EWW.  Will just give the corn to the chickens this year I think.

Offline poka-bee

• Super Bee
  • I am NEVER bored!!
    • Darby Farms
« Reply #21 on: July 04, 2008, 02:02:07 pm »
Depending on how large your corn patches are, you could try using a hose sprayer (like for fertilizer or bug killer) w dishsoap & Tabasco/hot pepper ( I puree habanaro in blender/water) on the corn ears, will knock em down pretty fast. Won't last forever though, specially here in the PNW rains but the #'s of aphids & ants will be greatly reduced. A couple of times will interrupt the breeding cycle.  It will even keep squirrels, raccoons & possums from damaging more than a few if you do the whole plant..they will go to the neighbors for tastier non burning treats! :evil:  Nothing will get rid of everything, not even conventional poisons.  When the corn is past pollination & have ears the bees probably won't be interested so no danger for them by that time.   Jody
I'm covered in Beeesssss!  Eddie Izzard

Offline SgtMaj

• Queen Bee
« Reply #22 on: July 04, 2008, 10:47:49 pm »
I don't know... something on my property kills most things.  I swear I must live on a superfund site or something.  Fleas, ticks and chiggars, all die on my property.  The only two things that seem to thrive here are the aphids and sugar ants.

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
« Reply #23 on: July 04, 2008, 11:21:03 pm »
You can Get the moderators to post them

Yes that is the way to do it

or copy/paste the link and break it up, we'll figure out the rest.  :-D

And this is the way to get yourself banned.
http://forum.beemaster.com/index.php/topic,14734.0.html
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

Offline Wes Sapp

• House Bee
« Reply #24 on: July 04, 2008, 11:48:25 pm »
The bees are loving my corn this year!!!

Wes Sapp

Offline sc-bee

• Super Bee
« Reply #25 on: July 06, 2008, 04:31:45 pm »
I've always heard (no experience with it) that corn pollen has no nutritional value to the bees? Say they will plug the whole brood laying area w/the pollen!
John 3:16

Offline asprince

• Super Bee
« Reply #26 on: July 06, 2008, 05:39:53 pm »
I have no bees at my house but someones bees were all over my sweet corn. I have poor hearing but I could hear their loud buzz as they worked the stalks.

I have been pulling and shucking corn all afternoon. Gave lots away and will have corn on the cob for dinner tonight.

Steve
Politics is supposed to be the second oldest profession. I have come to realize that it bears a very close resembalance to the first. - Ronald Reagan

Offline sc-bee

• Super Bee
« Reply #27 on: July 06, 2008, 05:46:29 pm »
No question they will work it (Corn) ----- but they will pick up all kinds of things in a dearth. Is it a nectar source or a nutritional pollen source?
John 3:16

Offline poka-bee

• Super Bee
  • I am NEVER bored!!
    • Darby Farms
« Reply #28 on: July 06, 2008, 06:01:52 pm »
One would think that all pollen would have some nutritional value of some sort.  The dairy up the hill planted quite a few acres again this year, & there is a corn maze a mile or so down the road as the bee flies, pretty close to Sean Kelly.  People come from all around the area, called Maris Farms. You might be able to google it, they may have pics that would give one an idea of what the area here is like. PNW corn is only 7-10 inches high yet, such a cold spring..corn won't grow in cold soil. Maris has the corn maze late all Oct till after Halloween.   Jody
I'm covered in Beeesssss!  Eddie Izzard

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #29 on: July 07, 2008, 10:59:34 am »
Oh my yearning for the supersweet corn that I grow.  Didn't even get any in this year.  The soil is very warm now though, I could try to plant a little.  Corn in my micro environment can grow through to the middle of October and still be harvestable and sweet, thoughts running through my mind, maybe I will take an adventure and do this thing. Beautiful and most wonderful day, Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service