Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Caulking inside corners of a hive?  (Read 5613 times)

Offline Dustin Large

• New Bee
Caulking inside corners of a hive?
« on: April 26, 2016, 04:42:35 pm »
I am new to beekeeping and have found answers to pretty much all my questions through searching the forums, YouTube, or Google.  But there is one question I haven?t found the answer to.  I want to caulk or seal the inside corners of my hive boxes but I can?t find what would be the safest product to use since this is inside the hive.  I won?t be painting the boxes, it?s only those inside corners I?m concerned with.  What do you think would be a safe product to use in this application?

Offline Psparr

• Field Bee
Re: Caulking inside corners of a hive?
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2016, 05:17:49 pm »
Propolis, and let the bees do it for you.

Offline Dustin Large

• New Bee
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2016, 10:23:32 pm »
I have yet to see bees seal up corners effectively enough to prevent hive beetles from hiding in them.  Which is why I'm looking for a caulk or sealant that is safe to use.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Offline Psparr

• Field Bee
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2016, 11:04:45 pm »
Was just playing around. Curious though why there are gaps in the corners?

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2016, 11:57:34 pm »
Epoxy. Most caulk on the market will be eaten by the bees. They are soft.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline Dustin Large

• New Bee
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2016, 12:03:53 am »
Gaps from the crap hive body kits sold by Kelly Bees and another big name.  I make everything myself now to help prevent it but don't want to toss out what I had before. 

Offline Dustin Large

• New Bee
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2016, 12:06:00 am »
I was thinking epoxy but due to the cost of it, if I can't find an alternative, I'll just scrap out the boxes.  To build new only cost me $2 each.

Offline little john

• Super Bee
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2016, 04:14:39 am »
I make my British National brood boxes from flat-pack kits (seconds) from Mann-Lake.  And by 'seconds', they really do mean seconds ...  (to be pedantic, they call these 'Standard' Grade ... ) But - to be fair, these DO have a low price tag.

This design of box has upper and lower external rails, and where the inner planks make contact (or don't) with these rails, there are gaps.  And there are also gaps in the corners.  Gaps, gaps gaps ...

So - after gluing-up these boxes with 100% waterproof glue, I then run a bead of the same glue down into each gap.  If the gap is really serious (> 1mm) - and some are - then I knife polyester automotive body-filler into those large gaps.  I also run some glue over any knots, so that they're fixed for life.

Then I paint the boxes - inside and out.  Why ?  Because the outside is exposed to the weather, and the inside is often as wet as a shower room with water running down the walls, as the bees evaporate moisture for their living.

And - contrary to the common mantra - bees will NOT propolise the interior surfaces of a box during their first year of occupation, and so that is when the wood is most at risk from swelling and busting glued joints as a consequence.

BTW - I use a product called 'D4' glue, but you won't have it.  Titebond or similar would do the same job.  You could also use polyester automotive body filler (cheap enough if you buy in 5 litre drums), with extra polyester resin mixed in to make it runny.

Good question, by the way - I've not heard that one asked before now ...

LJ

A Heretics Guide to Beekeeping - http://heretics-guide.atwebpages.com

Offline fishman79

• Brood
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2016, 02:13:50 pm »
I often use gorrila glue to fill cracks. Its eurothane based and expands quite well to seal off cracks. But I do not apply it untill assembly is finished and the titebond has had time to dry so as not to force the corners open.

Offline OldMech

• Queen Bee
    • The Outyard
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2016, 08:29:42 pm »
Bondo or another decent auto body filler. It will become rock hard. I fill knot holes etc with it all the time, never have another problem with it, and the bees dont seem to bother it. It can be painted, or in the case of fixing a rabbit for the frame rest it can also be routered etc..   Have been using it since the 70's to fix up old hive boxes.
39 Hives and growing.  Havent found the end of the comfort zone yet.

Offline Dustin Large

• New Bee
« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2016, 10:45:39 pm »
I have gorilla glue so I'll go ahead and use it on these boxes.  In the future I'll be going with the bondo auto body filler since most of my issues will be knot holes and frame rest repairs.  I appreciate all the great feedback. 

Offline derekm

• Field Bee
« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2016, 08:43:09 am »
aluminium foil tape. the stuff used to seal house insulation works
If they increased energy bill for your home by a factor of 4.5 would you consider that cruel? If so why are you doing that to your bees?

Offline SmokeEater2

• House Bee
« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2016, 06:13:55 pm »
I run a bead of Tite Bond or Gorilla glue down the inside corners to deny hiding spots to hive beetles. Who knows, Maybe it adds a small bit of extra strength to the corners too.