Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: When Cats talk and other wierd stuff  (Read 77114 times)

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
Re: When Cats talk and other wierd stuff
« Reply #40 on: May 08, 2008, 10:40:49 am »
Brian, now isn't that just plain and simply so interesting,  :) :) :) enjoy this wonderful day, Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline mick

• Queen Bee
« Reply #41 on: May 11, 2008, 05:41:46 am »
Speaking of Indians...

The ones that were the dialogue coaches for "Dancing with wolves" had a pay dispute, so they taught all the male actors to speak in the female form of their language, they have two you see, men talk one way, women another. So when those indians watch that movie, they all fall about laughing as all the tough males are spounding like sissys and worse.

I like their sense of humour!

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Galactic Bee
  • I really look like this, just ask Cindi.
    • http://spaces.msn.com/thecoonsden
« Reply #42 on: May 11, 2008, 04:34:48 pm »
Speaking of Indians...

The ones that were the dialogue coaches for "Dancing with wolves" had a pay dispute, so they taught all the male actors to speak in the female form of their language, they have two you see, men talk one way, women another. So when those indians watch that movie, they all fall about laughing as all the tough males are spounding like sissys and worse.

I like their sense of humour!

I've seen the Japanese do the same thing.  It is a hoot. 
Life is a school.  What have you learned?   :brian:      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Galactic Bee
« Reply #43 on: May 18, 2008, 12:43:50 am »
I was out teaching my daughter how to super and keep the broodchamber open at the same time when the LDS missionaries stopped by (I'm a member).  I had some pull over mosquito jackets I got through Harriet Carter so the grandkids can help and put them on the Elders.  Bet they have a story to tell when they get back home.
Anyway, the Poppa Quail started to call.  I asked the missionaries if they heard the quail, they said yes.  I said you know what's he's saying?  No, they said.  He's Saying, "Wait right here, I'll go look."  After a minute or 2 The call changed to a single sound and I told them he was now telling his covy to "wait, wait, wait, I'm checking it out."  It changed again and I said, "All's clear, come here, all's clear, come here."

So they, my daughter (who is starting to get use to this), her husband, and 2 of my granddaughters got lessons in beekeeping and interrepting animal speak.
Life is a school.  What have you learned?   :brian:      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #44 on: May 18, 2008, 10:48:42 am »
I bet the Elders will have the time of their lives writing home to their folk and telling of their trip to the apiary of Brian Bray.  Where is their hometowns located?  Are they heading home soon?

I am still pretty impressed with how you can understand the critters around your place, you are gifted, hee, hee.  I am serious.  I know what you mean, I can't interpret what they all say around here, but yep, yep, they have different sounds of what they are trying to impart.

I am just waiting for the baby chicken that is being raised with the baby turkeys to keep on understanding the turkey lingo.  It amazes me that this little yellow chick obeys the commands of the mothers.  I need to learn more about this, and if it will always act like a turkey.  I can't wait to see what it looks like grown up, there is some interesting genetics going on around here, hee, hee.  Beautiful and most wonderful day, loving this life we live.  Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Galactic Bee
« Reply #45 on: May 30, 2008, 09:49:09 pm »
I have a lot of health problems and often have trouble getting to sleep at night.  I've found that if I focus on the images on the backside of the eyelid for a while it is much easier to go to sleep, if I forget to focus on the images I can be up til the wee hours. 
The nice thing is I can never seeing the same image twice and it is forevering changing (morphing) into something else even as you watch.  Sometimes they're in black and white and other times colors.  Last night's was in yellow and green.  Looked very much as when I was a kid, laying in a willow thicket watching the sun trickle between the rustling leaves in mid-summer.  Some of the things I can remember seeing are garrison of troops marching and turning to calvary and then into tanks, or swirling circles like ripples on a pond that change into snaking lines and then into dots.  Things like that.

How many of you have noticed the same kind of thing about images behind the eyelids when going to sleep and does focusing on them help you go to sleep?

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #46 on: May 30, 2008, 10:25:57 pm »
I don't have trouble falling asleep unless my body is really tight, then I take Ibuprofin and it relaxes me. I do know what you mean about the little thingys behind the eye lids but my eyes hurt if I try and concentrate on them.

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #47 on: May 31, 2008, 11:36:28 am »
Looked very much as when I was a kid, laying in a willow thicket watching the sun trickle between the rustling leaves in mid-summer. 

How many of you have noticed the same kind of thing about images behind the eyelids when going to sleep and does focusing on them help you go to sleep?

Brian, oooh, what a pretty picture you have painted in my mind's eye.....I have done things like that, laid on the cool dark grass in summer, looking upwards, but my experience has been looking at the clouds.  When my girls were little, we would spend alot of time laying in the cool summer grass, the images that we saw in the clouds would keep us amused for the longest time, and now and then, the images would look the same to each of us....yes....beautiful.

I have never thought about any images behind my eyelids when I fall to sleep, now you have sent me tonight on an agenda, a mission to see what lays behind the lids of the eyes.....beautiful and most wonderful day, lovin' our life, livin' our life like there was no tomorrow.  Cindi

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #48 on: May 31, 2008, 11:43:18 am »
Looked very much as when I was a kid, laying in a willow thicket watching the sun trickle between the rustling leaves in mid-summer. 

Brian, oooh, what a pretty picture you have painted in my mind's eye.....I have done things like that, laid on the cool dark grass in summer, looking upwards, but my experience has been looking at the clouds.  When my girls were little, we would spend alot of time laying in the cool summer grass, the images that we saw in the clouds would keep us amused for the longest time, and now and then, the images would look the same to each of us....yes....beautiful.

I have never thought about any images behind my eyelids when I fall to sleep, now you have sent me tonight on an agenda, a mission to see what lays behind the lids of the eyes.....beautiful and most wonderful day, lovin' our life, livin' our life like there was no tomorrow.  Cindi

Let me know if you see Whoppo in there! ;)

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

Offline poka-bee

• Super Bee
  • I am NEVER bored!!
    • Darby Farms
« Reply #49 on: May 31, 2008, 11:49:43 am »
Cindi my little banty hen hatched a duck egg w/hers one time.  The duckling would follow her all over & listened to her commands, EXCEPT for when it saw water, in it would go...Big Mamma would go into a tizzy running around clucking, the other chicks would stare & the duckling would look puzzled but splash away!  It should be fun for you with the turkey & chix!  Jody
I'm covered in Beeesssss!  Eddie Izzard

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #50 on: May 31, 2008, 11:56:39 am »
Jody, oh that is funny.  Yes, that silly little chick that is being raised by the turkey mammas is a delight.  It has all the antics of the poults, but antics of the chickens.  While the poults are pecking at the grass and stuff, the chick is digging like the chickens do, dig, dig, back up and look at what has been dug up.  It is funny.  There are numerous other things that it does too that the poults don't do, or vice versa.  It still jumps on the mothers' backs, pushes the bottom of the turkey hens when it gets cold and climbs under the wings, pokes its head out from under the turkey mammas when I come to look at them in the evening when they are all huddled under the mammas too.  Those little poults are so curious and nosey.  I see the mammas all huddled up with their little babies beneath them.  But when they hear me talk, one by one, each little head comes out from under these mammas somewhere, and all you see is the head and eyes looking at you, wondering what you are doing in their space.  Oh how I love the life on the farm, with all the little babies, just lovin' their lives.

Beautiful day, beautiful life, and most of all, love our life we live.  Cindi

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Galactic Bee
« Reply #51 on: June 23, 2008, 12:11:50 am »
Went out to feed the chickens this evening and heard the weirdest noise.  I though it might be a neighbor kid trying to imitate the hens clucking except the noise echoed and I've never heard and echo when the neighbor kids are imitating the roosters crowing.  Heard it three times, then realised it was one of the turkeys trying to imitate the hens--it sounded like a broody constipated hen.  While collecting the eggs the other turkey sticks his head in the chiicken house and makes a noise like a baritone chihuahua--I almost fell down laughing--the dang thing was trying to imitate the roosters.  At least I now know which turkey's a hen and which is the tom.
I guess with only 2 turkeys, raised with 2 dozen chickens, it's natural for them to think they're chickens. 
The dog thinks it's human and the cat thinks it's the king of Prussia.

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #52 on: June 23, 2008, 10:00:06 am »
Brian, holy smokin' cadoodalhoppers!!!  I almost fell off the couch laughing when I read that.  What the bleep bleep!!!  What on earth were those poor turkeys trying to pull off, they will never be a chicken, even if they really wannabe.  That is funny.  Did you decipher what they were trying to say, you must have some clue, I know you commune with critters, hee, hee.

Our silly little chicken that was raised with the poults is really getting quite big and hangs out with the poults and mother but definitely does the antics of a chicken, I wonder if it will ever meld properly with the other chickens.  I am sure one fine day, it will have its day.  Life on the farm certainly does hold one spellbound for surely.  Tell us more, I love to hear the antics of the strange birds in the yards.  Are your two turkeys the commercial white ones or are they heritage type?  We have the most lovely and interesting colours coming on ours, they are now about 2 months old and one is about 1-1/2 times the size of the others.  Probably a tom, the rest are hens.  We will see, wish I could tell how to sex them.  I am selling 4 to a fellow that we are going to stop by at on our way up to our Daughter's new house this weekend.  We are heading off to visit her and help to unpack.  This will be a fun trip.   Have the most wonderful day, beautiful day and life.  Cindi

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Galactic Bee
« Reply #53 on: June 24, 2008, 01:03:02 am »
The turkeys are broadbreasted bronze so trying to keep them to raise more is out of the question.  I got them in the hopes that my wife will become aclimated to having them around so that I can get some Red Bourbons or Palms next year and start raising them like I do the chickens.

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #54 on: June 24, 2008, 01:25:27 am »
Brian, the broad-breasted heritage require a saddle for the toms to mate without injury to the hens.  Smiling, I have done some research on these broad-breasted, double-breasted, whatever you wish to call them.  8-) :lol: ;) :)  Beautiful and most wonderful days....Cindi

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Galactic Bee
« Reply #55 on: July 07, 2008, 01:15:05 pm »
The turkeys are still trying to immitate the chickens and I now have one Light Brahma hen who's immitating the turkeys immitating the chickens.

Got a new dog for the grandkids, a AKC registered Beagle with a perdigree a mile long.  Name of record is Sir Chip the Rabbit Slayer (I kid you not).  We call him Chip.  He was a little psychotic when we got him.  The people who gave (free) him to us kept him locked in a 3x3 kennel during the day and then spoiled him when at home.  He was kept inside all the time, except for an occassional walk on leash.  He had figured out how to get out of the kennel and had started to tear up the house and since they were moving to an apartment... you get the story.

We brought him home and he howled all night the 1st night, the 2nd night the neighbors complained.  I can, and have, been know to sleep through an earthquake so his howling didn't bother me--the only one in the neighborhood who could sleep.
So I decided to teach him to be quite by using a method I had been taught while working with K-9s in the Army.  I grabbed him and pinned him to the ground, holding him down my the neck.  I'm now the only one he minds.  But, I think I said he was a bit psychotic when we got him, so when I went to grab him he turned his head towards me and my hand ended up in his mouth.  He closed his mouth and I closed my hand, both as reflexes.  I had 4 tooth marks in my hand.  But he minds now.

The wife insisted on taking me to the hospital (it was after dark) and the hospital wrote it down as multiple dog bites.  I said, "Let's get one thing clear, it was multiple punctures but one bite.  It has more than 1 tooth."

BTW, the dog is worth $800.00 and the cage another $99.99 (Ipriced one) and counting the other stuff he came with it was pretty much a $1000.00 gift.  Of course after I figure in the cost of the visit to the ER I think we might have broke even.

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #56 on: July 07, 2008, 11:20:01 pm »
Brian, it seems that life is never dull at your place! I love dogs and love puppies even though I have never had one, perhaps we will adopt a puppy one day.

My neighbor across the street has a pack of beagles or had some, I haven't heard them howling at the moon come to think of it lately.

Them beagles can sure howl!!!

I see you and the doggie came to an agreement, did you bite him back? :-D

...JP

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #57 on: July 08, 2008, 11:23:18 am »
The turkeys are still trying to immitate the chickens and I now have one Light Brahma hen who's immitating the turkeys immitating the chickens.

So I decided to teach him to be quite by using a method I had been taught while working with K-9s in the Army.  I grabbed him and pinned him to the ground, holding him down my the neck.  I'm now the only one he minds.  But, I think I said he was a bit psychotic when we got him, so when I went to grab him he turned his head towards me and my hand ended up in his mouth.  He closed his mouth and I closed my hand, both as reflexes.

Brian, you have some weird stuff going on at your place, not a doubt in my mind, hee, hee, smiling.

It is the fight or flight.  I know that dogs don't like to be pinned down.  I used to have to pin down my enormous Kooder.  He is a dalmation X rottwheiller and he is a big boy.  I would pin him down to trim his toenails, they grew so fast.  I always had the fight of my life.  Fortunately, he only growled, his bark is worse than his bite, which he doesn't bite.  Oh brother, what a dumb expression anyways.

When a dog is pinned down, they are extremely intimidated and vulnerable, it is no wonder that your new pooch got peed off and bit ya.  He was only scared.  But, sometimes, you MUST do what you gotta do, just glad that the puncture wounds weren't even more deep.  Good.

Will this dog be good with your Grandchildren?  You haven't really said much more about Chip's behaviour towards humans.  Define more clearly please.  I would love to hear more.  Kids and dogs just go together like peanut butter and jelly, hee, hee.  Beautiful and most wonderful day, lovin' this great life.  Cindi

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Galactic Bee
« Reply #58 on: July 08, 2008, 11:16:26 pm »
Brian, it seems that life is never dull at your place! I love dogs and love puppies even though I have never had one, perhaps we will adopt a puppy one day.

My neighbor across the street has a pack of beagles or had some, I haven't heard them howling at the moon come to think of it lately.

Them beagles can sure howl!!!

I see you and the doggie came to an agreement, did you bite him back? :-D

...JP

Beagles don't hold a candle to real hounds.  I've hunted over both a  pack of beagles (for Rabbits) and Coon Hounds (Coons, Bobcat, Puma, and Bear)
and coon hounds can drown out the beagles in a hurry. 
Did I bite him back?  No, I figured some nosy neighbor might cheer when making a dog be quietbut would report me to the SPCA or PAWS and I have enough troubles already.

Brian, you have some weird stuff going on at your place, not a doubt in my mind, hee, hee, smiling.

It is the fight or flight.  I know that dogs don't like to be pinned down.  I used to have to pin down my enormous Kooder.  He is a dalmation X rottwheiller and he is a big boy.  I would pin him down to trim his toenails, they grew so fast.  I always had the fight of my life.  Fortunately, he only growled, his bark is worse than his bite, which he doesn't bite.  Oh brother, what a dumb expression anyways.

When a dog is pinned down, they are extremely intimidated and vulnerable, it is no wonder that your new pooch got peed off and bit ya.  He was only scared.  But, sometimes, you MUST do what you gotta do, just glad that the puncture wounds weren't even more deep.  Good.

Will this dog be good with your Grandchildren?  You haven't really said much more about Chip's behaviour towards humans.  Define more clearly please.  I would love to hear more.  Kids and dogs just go together like peanut butter and jelly, hee, hee.  Beautiful and most wonderful day, lovin' this great life.  Cindi

The dog loves the kids and visa versa.  Now that he and I've had our meeting of the minds, things are much more normal dog behavior wise.  He whines when he seems somebody in the house because he wants company.  If I could get the old Collie/Husky mix to spend more time with him he'd be a little quieter.  But She's old and arthritic, one of the reasons we got a smaller, younger dog for the grandkids. 

On another note I got a couple of new buck rabbits.  The one I had was a dud--missing something essential.  So that one goes into the stew pot and I have had my new Red Rex buck service my 2 older California Giant (aka Himalayans) does.  The bunnies should be about a month old by Bash time.  The other buck is only a couple months old and still a little immature.  I have a couple of Checkered Giant/Angora does that don't want to cooperate so they might hit the stew pan too.  We might have BBQ Rabbit after all.  You know what they say when it comes to rabbits (works for chickens too), if at first you don't fricassee, fry, fry again.

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #59 on: July 09, 2008, 01:11:31 pm »
Brian, so good to hear the dog and children love each other, yeah!!!  That made my day.  On that other note, I would love to try some rabbit.  Do you remember me telling you that we raised rabbits, oh so many years ago, in my former life with another man.  I cooked the rabbit, but I always found it rather tough.  I think it was just because I was so young and hadn' 't yet honed my cooking skills.  I bet rabbit, cooked properly, would be wonderful.  Beautiful day in this great life.  Cindi

anything