Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Swarm Catching  (Read 5912 times)

Online Terri Yaki

• Super Bee
Re: Swarm Catching
« Reply #40 on: March 03, 2024, 11:41:02 am »
OK, I was talking to my neighbor who ends up wit a lot of swarms on his apple trees and he's making it sound like I'm out too early and has warned me about wax moths moving in before I get a swarm. He's suggesting more like May. Can I just plug the entrance hole or do I need to pull the comb out and put it in a safe spot?

Offline gww

• Super Bee
« Reply #41 on: March 03, 2024, 02:23:19 pm »
You seem to be about or a little warmer then me in the 5b growing zone.  The earliest I have ever had one of my hives swarm was on april 11 after a warm feb like it seems like we are having now.  I am expecting it to be early this year just by how it is now.  I really don't think honey comb draws that well and that good black brood comb is best.  I usually try and get mine baited about march first.  I have never caught one that early but like it done and know I can throw another q-tip in it in a couple of weeks.  I don't worry about wax moth as now or later, you end up in the same place.  There might be somebody feeding like crazy around you and they may issue and early swam and so in my mind earlier is better.  Plus then it is done and you don't get sidetracked.  I catch most probably early june.  I have had swarms move in boxes with mice nest in them and many times get wasp nest.  In the end, if the trap isn't out, it won't catch and so I get them out early.

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #42 on: March 04, 2024, 09:07:53 am »
What GWW said. X2
Jim Altmiller
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline Bill Murray

• House Bee
« Reply #43 on: March 04, 2024, 09:14:44 am »
you can just come down here terri and get the ones out of my orange tree three have come and gone in the last two weeks. I boxed the first one this year cause I thought it was one of mine. Sadly or luckily (which ever way you want to look at it) it wasnt.

Online Terri Yaki

• Super Bee
« Reply #44 on: March 04, 2024, 09:22:21 am »
Thanks for the offer, Bill. If I was coming to beefest, I might have taken you up on that.

Online Terri Yaki

• Super Bee
« Reply #45 on: March 09, 2024, 09:18:50 am »
Is there a time when I should freshen a lemongrass oil treatment?

Offline paus

• Field Bee
« Reply #46 on: March 09, 2024, 12:07:46 pm »
I have been told by a man that catches a hundred or more swarmes a year and sells lots of them, he refreshes lemon grass oil every 7-10 days.

Online Terri Yaki

• Super Bee
« Reply #47 on: March 09, 2024, 03:43:20 pm »
I have been told by a man that catches a hundred or more swarmes a year and sells lots of them, he refreshes lemon grass oil every 7-10 days.
Wow! Glad I asked. Thanks. I sniffed at it after a rain and couldn't smell anything but I don't have any idea how my nose compares with theirs.

Offline The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Traveler of the Multiverse, Seeker of Knowledge
« Reply #48 on: March 09, 2024, 03:59:15 pm »
Bees' sense of smell is about 100x stronger than yours.
I come from under the hill, and under the hills and over the hills my paths led.  And through the air, I am she that walks unseen.

Offline Occam

• House Bee
« Reply #49 on: March 11, 2024, 11:51:30 am »
I bought some .2ml pipettes to use for lure. Filled the bulb about half full, so approximately .1ml in the pipette which I hung in the trap on the wall. Used a couple pultry netting staples tacked into the wall as a place to hang the pipette. The pipettes don't drip out (I tested) so it'll be interesting to see how long the pipette holds the lemongrass oil. I intended to put in a second pipette with queen pheromone but forgot before setting the trap up so my first will do without. I'll keep y'all updated on how long the pipettes last
Entities must not be multiplied beyond necessity

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #50 on: March 11, 2024, 03:45:34 pm »
Occam,
I recommend that you put the pipette in a plastic bag and seal it up completely. That way the lemongrass smell is not too strong and it will last a long time.
Jim Altmiller
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline Occam

• House Bee
« Reply #51 on: March 11, 2024, 07:02:27 pm »
Thanks Jim, appreciate that

Offline Occam

• House Bee
« Reply #52 on: March 29, 2024, 01:07:46 am »
The first trap I hung and baited in my parents backyard had plenty of bee smelling stuff in there... melted down moth infested beeswax slathered over the interior. Propolis warmed to stickiness and rubbed around. Pippette with a small amount of lemon grass oil.  Box had bees all over it the next day Match 11th and has had consistent bee activity every day with good weather. About 12:30 today the bees decided to move in. I got the call from my parents "there are so many bees flying everywhere,  thousands!" haha. I told them to enjoy the show while they ate their lunch. My dad decided to get close to get some pictures and video.

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #53 on: March 29, 2024, 01:34:37 am »
The first trap I hung and baited in my parents backyard had plenty of bee smelling stuff in there... melted down moth infested beeswax slathered over the interior. Propolis warmed to stickiness and rubbed around. Pippette with a small amount of lemon grass oil.  Box had bees all over it the next day Match 11th and has had consistent bee activity every day with good weather. About 12:30 today the bees decided to move in. I got the call from my parents "there are so many bees flying everywhere,  thousands!" haha. I told them to enjoy the show while they ate their lunch. My dad decided to get close to get some pictures and video.

Great preparation and awesome catch! Congratulation on your earned success!!!

Phillip
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Online Terri Yaki

• Super Bee
« Reply #54 on: March 29, 2024, 05:26:33 am »
Gongrats, Occam, hope they treat you well.

Online Terri Yaki

• Super Bee
« Reply #55 on: April 02, 2024, 06:53:12 am »
I'm reading local posts that this weekend should start the swarm season here so I'm thinking I should refresh my lemongrass attractant and I'm also thinking of placing popsicle sticks in the tops of the medium frames in the bottom box of the trap. Does this sound like a plausible plan?

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #56 on: April 02, 2024, 07:07:52 am »
Have you noticed scout bees visiting your traps?
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Online Terri Yaki

• Super Bee
« Reply #57 on: April 02, 2024, 07:18:20 am »
Have you noticed scout bees visiting your traps?
No, nothing is venturing far from their hives just yet but we have a rainy week here and a warmup coming this weekend.

Online Terri Yaki

• Super Bee
« Reply #58 on: April 02, 2024, 08:50:01 am »
I do have a bee cam out there. :cool:

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #59 on: April 02, 2024, 08:58:56 am »
In my experience I have noticed 'every time' I catch a swarm, the scout bees will be readily seen investigating the trap box ahead of time. The closer to to the time of the swarm the more bees will be seen coming to and fro, in and out if the trap. I have seen trap boxes so busy that I have mistakenly assumed they were already there!

Naturally with extreme weather where flying is out of the question you will not see scout bees visiting. But at the same time, I have also noticed after the bees have been cooped up for days on end because of bad weather during swarm season, they will waste not time swarming when the rain stops. Good luck Terri, I know you are excited! I hope you catch a BIG swarm!!

Phillip