Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Saskatraz  (Read 14531 times)

Offline JackM

• Field Bee
Re: Saskatraz
« Reply #20 on: July 03, 2018, 08:40:43 am »
Folks, jump on my butt, but this is the second Saskatraz specific thread regarding the species that has evolved into a how to do other stuff.  You want my information, then keep on topic.  Sure the drift is interesting, but talk in a different thread, that is a whole topic in itself. 

So be angry at me.
Jack of all trades
Master of none.

Van, Arkansas, USA

« Reply #21 on: July 03, 2018, 09:40:39 am »
Troutdog{The magnetic lines are called Hartmann lines with a secondary 45 degree less strong line called Curry lines.
A swarm generally collects itself in a crossing of any of the above.}

Any way a person can look up or determine where these magnet lines are placed on a particular parcel of land????
Blessings

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #22 on: July 03, 2018, 10:20:55 am »
I would say no because they can move.  Dousing is how you find them.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #23 on: July 03, 2018, 10:52:48 am »
Per Jacks request, I?m opening a new thread about dousing. Let?s talk about dousing on it.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline Geoff

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Field Bee
« Reply #24 on: July 04, 2018, 08:30:33 am »

Buzzbee, are they from San Francisco Bay or is the date of the post a pointer ? ?
Local Area Network in Australia - the LAN down under.

Offline JackM

• Field Bee
« Reply #25 on: July 04, 2018, 08:44:47 am »
Thanks Jim.  Lets keep our knowledge bases clean.
Jack of all trades
Master of none.

Offline JackM

• Field Bee
« Reply #26 on: July 06, 2018, 08:50:39 am »
Another thing I noticed.  We had a cold morning.  The Saskatraz were flying and orienting at 43 degrees.
Jack of all trades
Master of none.

Van, Arkansas, USA

« Reply #27 on: July 06, 2018, 09:28:19 am »
Oh Man, 43F,,,,,,  I wish,,,,, it will be October before Arkansas sees that temp.  More like 75F in the morning with blazing hot afternoon.

Offline buzzbee

• Ken
  • Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
    • N Central Pa Beekeepers Facebook Page
« Reply #28 on: July 07, 2018, 12:52:04 pm »
Geoff,
I believe they are from northern California.

Van, Arkansas, USA

« Reply #29 on: July 07, 2018, 01:19:26 pm »
JackM, my apologies, yes I drifted earlier to another subject.  Yes Sir, I want your input on this species of Honey bee orgin from Canada.  Please keep us posted and forgive my slip up.
Blessings

Offline JackM

• Field Bee
« Reply #30 on: July 08, 2018, 09:36:14 am »
Geoff, they are available out of Cali and Iowa, I got mine from Iowa as the outfit in CA (closer) would not respond to phone.
Jack of all trades
Master of none.

Offline JackM

• Field Bee
« Reply #31 on: July 28, 2018, 09:15:32 am »
Report:
Gangbuster hive made enough honey I took 8 frames and they still have plenty, 'normal' hive not so normal, minimal honey, lots of bees, but not impressive in any way.  The weak hive has come alive.  Plenty of honey for them.  Unreal how well that good hive has done.  Only seen this one time before with a swarm I caught.

Overall I am pleased with them, they did not get too aggressive until I got to the brood box and then they were pi$$ed.  They calmed quickly
Jack of all trades
Master of none.

Van, Arkansas, USA

« Reply #32 on: July 28, 2018, 03:34:04 pm »
Jack, do you have 3 of these hives:
Gangbuster
Normal
Weak,  which is now a strong hive.

Is the above correct?

Gangbuster sounds impressive, very impressive with the amount of honey you described.
Blessings
« Last Edit: July 28, 2018, 07:29:43 pm by Van, Arkansas, USA »

Offline JackM

• Field Bee
« Reply #33 on: July 30, 2018, 09:28:03 am »
Yes Van, you are correct.  Also of interest, and not sure if due to environmental reasons, but the honey was much darker this year.  They seemed to favor something besides the big blackberry flow.  Tastes more like store bought clover honey.  There is by far more blackberries than clover in my area, many fruit trees.  (bedroom community).

Therefore I am wondering if it is the difference in the honey stomach in them?  It really is a noticeable difference over what I have had for the last 5 or 6 years all in the same location, just less blackberries as homes are being built, but still plenty, not far away.
Jack of all trades
Master of none.

Offline buzzbee

• Ken
  • Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
    • N Central Pa Beekeepers Facebook Page
« Reply #34 on: January 05, 2019, 09:47:24 pm »
The temps popped to around 50 this afternoon for a short spell and lots of bees in this hive of saskatraz making evacuation flights.
Hopefully they will finish out the winter ok.

Offline van from Arkansas

• Super Bee
  • Van from Arkansas.
« Reply #35 on: January 05, 2019, 10:32:12 pm »
Mr. JackM: would you please provide us, me, with an update on the hives:

Gangbuster
Normal
Weak,,,which grew strong.

Thank you Mr. JackM
I have been around bees a long time, since birth.  I am a hobbyist so my answers often reflect this fact.  I concentrate on genetics, raise my own queens by wet graft, nicot, with natural or II breeding.  I do not sell queens, I will give queens  for free but no shipping.

Offline JackM

• Field Bee
« Reply #36 on: January 06, 2019, 10:13:26 am »
they are in winter mode, saw some outside the gangbuster hive orienting on a warm day, the other two hives are just in winter mode.  Won't bother them until next month, which will be the inspection that says how they survived.  That is just about when the build up starts here.
Jack of all trades
Master of none.

Offline paus

• Field Bee
« Reply #37 on: January 06, 2019, 02:59:03 pm »
Has any one tried Saskatraz in the southern parts ie: GA to TX area? 

Offline Live Oak

• House Bee
    • Tractor Farm and Family
« Reply #38 on: January 06, 2019, 08:21:38 pm »
Has any one tried Saskatraz in the southern parts ie: GA to TX area?

I purchased about 50 Saskatraz queens very late last Summer and built 47 nucs with them and used a few to requeen some production hives. 

So far, I have lost 7 nucs due to robbing so I removed the Immerie Shims I had on the nuc hives for upper entrances.  The remaining nucs are doing VERY well.  They are VERY, VERY active and I see them flying for the Ultra Bee dry feeders in temperatures in the low 40's.  Very good brood producers.  They are among the best honey producers from what I have read but I will wait until my observations provide me with some factual data. 

So far, I am VERY happy with them.  This is my 1st encounter and season with Sassies and I decided to try them instead of raising a batch of my own queens.  If you buy them in batches of more than 21+, the prices was a VERY reasonable $24 each including shipping last season.

I am looking forward to raising my own queens from these and incorporating their genetics into my apiary.  They are a very good choice in my opinion. 

Offline van from Arkansas

• Super Bee
  • Van from Arkansas.
« Reply #39 on: January 06, 2019, 09:47:23 pm »
Thank Live Oak.

Ok great honey producers
Great brood production
Active, flying at low temps

What about: gentleness, swarming, mites, beetles, nosema, hygienics.  Also did you treat for mites.

The queens originating in Canada most likely has never seen a small hive beetle.

Thank you for your input.
I have been around bees a long time, since birth.  I am a hobbyist so my answers often reflect this fact.  I concentrate on genetics, raise my own queens by wet graft, nicot, with natural or II breeding.  I do not sell queens, I will give queens  for free but no shipping.

anything