Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Nectar in hot weather?  (Read 2360 times)

Offline Dr. B in Wisconsin

• House Bee
Nectar in hot weather?
« on: July 18, 2011, 08:46:08 pm »
Hello
Getting very hot, 95 in Wisconsin and the lawns are getting crispy. I ride my bike on the edge of town and there are quite a few wild flowers out there, I was wondering with the hot dry weather is there much nector in those flowers? Is the nector drying up in the flowers or maybe the flowers are under stress and put out a little extra to help pollinate?? The bees seem VERY active in the hot weather, what gives?
Thanks for any info.
Brian

Offline L Daxon

• Field Bee
Re: Nectar in hot weather?
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2011, 11:33:53 pm »
Yes, it was mentioned at our last monthly beekeepers mtg. that the extreme heat and low humidity can reduce the nectar  available to foragers.  We have had 34 days over 100 degrees so far this year in central Oklahoma and no end in sight.  The flow was short and now the girls just seem to be just standing around watching the sun shine.  Fortunately I live on a small lake so I know they at least have enough water to drink.
linda d

Offline AliciaH

• Field Bee
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2011, 02:12:49 pm »
I think I read here somewhere that when the weather gets hot, nectar is produced in the mornings and evenings so the plants can still attract pollinators, but can conserve their energy by not producing nectar during the heat of the day. 

I don't know what the temperature break is, though it's something I want to research over winter. 

We had some problems with that a couple summers ago in areas that did not have much surface water.  It caught a lot of new beeks off guard to find that even through the backberries were blooming, there wasn't a lot of nectar for the bees.  Feeding in July wasn't even on their radar and there were several losses.  We all look for it now.

Offline schawee

• Field Bee
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2011, 11:54:50 pm »
had the same problem here too.we had hot weather and no rain for 2 1/2 -3 months.had alot of nector producing plants and flowers but they didn't have enough nector for the bees to store.i  had to feed 30 out of 65 hives to help them make it .       .....schawee
BEEKEEPER OF THE SWAMP

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2011, 12:06:30 am »
This time of year the bees seem more intent on bringing in water. Flows are minimal now, next will be Golden rain trees, then goldenrod in October.

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline kingfisherfd2

• House Bee
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2011, 12:02:51 pm »
what about crepe myrtles?  They look like such a great source of food,  and they are all around my neighborhood.

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2011, 01:26:32 pm »
Bees just don't seem to get a lot from Crape myrtles, don't seem to work them much either, not that they don't go to them, have seen them on the white ones, not on other colors.

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline bee-nuts

• Queen Bee
    • Nectar Meadows Apiaries
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2011, 06:40:39 am »
I hope the heat has not stopped the basswood trees from pumpin nectar in the river bottoms.  We have been fortunate that with the heat we have had plenty of rain in the last three weeks.  Must be close to a foot of it.  Heat should break over the next two days and then be high 70's and 80's.  What scares me now is the nasty storms the dry cold front will bring when it hits this nasty 95% hot humidity.  I hope my hives stay standing!
The moment a person forms a theory, his imagination sees in every object only the traits which favor that theory

Thomas Jefferson

anything