Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Bees Flying in 40ish degree weather.  (Read 3337 times)

Offline bwallace23350

• Super Bee
Bees Flying in 40ish degree weather.
« on: January 04, 2018, 03:17:56 pm »
As most all know we are gripped in a harsh cold. Where I live we have been in the teens and low twenties with the highs around 40. A little below a little higher. My bees are still coming in and out and I have seen them flying away from the hive. I just find this odd and don't remember it much last year.

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
Re: Bees Flying in 40ish degree weather.
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2018, 04:06:41 pm »
When they have been cooped up they will take the first opportunity to poop.  If the sun is on the hive they'll often come out at a lower temp.
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline bwallace23350

• Super Bee
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2018, 05:36:05 pm »
That explains it. Perhaps that means they have good strong numbers also

Van, Arkansas, USA

« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2018, 08:04:39 pm »
Yes Mr. Wallace as Kathy correctly texted the bees are conducting a ?cleansing flight.?  If you had snow on the ground, a white background, you would see speckled snow.  Up north the bees can hold it for months.  In Alabama, you are experiencing unusual very cold weather, whereas your state is normally influenced by warm gulf winds.  Bundle up, that humid, very humid air is cold.

These bees are very clean little critters, unique, unlike anything on this planet.
Blessings

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2018, 08:37:25 am »
My bees are still coming in and out and I have seen them flying away from the hive.

I have seen them come out when it is in the low 40's but they only come out about 5-6 ft and return.  If they fly off I don't think they are coming back.  We tend not to observe our hives as much when the temperatures are normal.  Flying off and not coming back is normal for a colony all through the year.  The queen should be replacing those with brood.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Offline JackM

• Field Bee
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2018, 09:47:50 am »
I have noticed this also.  I think some scouts may be checking out the world looking for some flowering object.  Here, the trees will start in another month or so.  We had a 35 degree day but sunny and one of my hives in the sun was quite active with cleansing and orientation flights.  And, they do go a ways away to poop as my car (white) evidences at 100 feet away from the hive.
Jack of all trades
Master of none.

Offline 220

• House Bee
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2018, 04:23:02 pm »
Here in Aus  mine were flying at similar temps last winter on nice clear mornings. While the air temp was around 40f and still frost on the ground in shade the temp felt higher in direct sunlight.
Mine will be flying in 40 temps today although that is 40c so over 100, I expect a lot will be on water duty the next few days.

Edit: Watching them last winter they would exit the hive and stand around on the landing board for 30sec or so then take flight.

Van, Arkansas, USA

« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2018, 08:39:03 pm »
220, I am envious, your summer means our winter.  In Arkansas, central US, we are experiencing single digits, that is 6-8 degrees F.  In Aussie land, you have flowers, nectar, pollen, splits, queen rearing, now, today enjoy, have fun, feel the warmth of the sun.

In just 2-3 months Arkansas honeybees will be just a buzzing.  Then our turn to have fun, I can hardly wait.   For now you have my envy.
Blessings

Offline 220

• House Bee
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2018, 02:36:18 am »
43c today so very nearly 110, hate to think what it was in the sun, probably pushing 140. Couldnt pick up anything left sitting in the sun as it was to hot to handle. Shame I didnt have a bit more wax to melt, solar melter would have been very quick today.

Offline little john

• Super Bee
« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2018, 06:01:26 am »
43c today so very nearly 110, hate to think what it was in the sun, probably pushing 140. Couldnt pick up anything left sitting in the sun as it was to hot to handle. Shame I didnt have a bit more wax to melt, solar melter would have been very quick today.

It's brass monkey weather over here in Britain, but nothing - absolutely nothing -  like the conditions over on the east coast of the United States right now ...

Good to know that the sun is shining for somebody, somewhere in this world of ours.  I feel warmer just thinking about it.

LJ
A Heretics Guide to Beekeeping - http://heretics-guide.atwebpages.com

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2018, 10:05:10 pm »
Actually I needed that cold snap. I have all of those empty drawn supers outside and have been waiting for the freeze so that I can bring them in and put them in storage.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline bwallace23350

• Super Bee
« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2018, 10:34:21 am »
After all this cold weather I am ready for spring now

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2018, 01:48:25 pm »
My wife is headed for FL this week so your cold snap might not be over.  I am looking forward to a warming trend up here while she is gone. :tongue:
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

anything