Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Potential honey bound problem  (Read 1935 times)

Offline Aroc

• House Bee
Potential honey bound problem
« on: August 14, 2017, 12:08:18 am »
One of my hives has two brood chambers but queen hasn't moved into the second brood chamber.  It is completely filled with honey.

I was thinking of moving 2-3 frames of brood from the bottom box to the top.  Does this sound like it will work.  Are there other ideas I may ponder?  I don't have any drawn comb so any empty frames I may add would be foundation only.
You are what you think.

Offline eltalia

• Queen Bee
Re: Potential honey bound problem
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2017, 01:14:38 am »
G'day...
What's the strength of bee numbers, Aroc?

Bill

Offline Aroc

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2017, 01:26:48 am »
Decent laying queen.  Bottom box is full of bees.
You are what you think.

Offline eltalia

• Queen Bee
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2017, 02:06:19 am »
Okay... remove the outer frames in the top box (frames #1+#2+#8+#9).
Remove frame #9 from the bottom box and frame #5 - or the frame where the queen is currently
laying -   Replace with 2 new frames at positions #8+#9.
Store all those honeybound ftames as you may need them come winter packup time.

In the topbox place the new undrawn frames _and_frame #5 from the bottom box as so;
H+H+nf+H+bf+H+nf+H+H
It is likely frames #3 and #7 will be drawn and filled with honey to start with but as long as
frame#5 is being worked (eggs laid) you will know you are getting to where you want to be.
All things being equal the bees will first move honey adjacent frame#5 and expand the topbox
brood zone.

Mind you, the bees may want something else, inspect first at least 6days in and then every
week thereafter.

Cheers,

Bill.

Offline Oldbeavo

• Queen Bee
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2017, 08:58:36 am »
Or is it that the nectar and honey flow at present isn't enough to make the bees open up a new area for her to lay. They may just be in a status quo at present.
Let the bees sort it out. If the conditions are right the bees will shift honey for the queen to lay.

Offline beehappy1950

• House Bee
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2017, 07:02:55 pm »
When mine do that I put on a super. I always like for the top box to be full of honey when they go into winter also. Less chance they will starve to death. I dont like to mess with nature. If they are a good healthy hive and the honey flow is about over then she will stop laying anyway, right? Hope all my hives have your problem, I will figure they will make the winter. Minnesota is cold.

Offline beehappy1950

• House Bee
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2017, 07:08:23 pm »
Besides the bees always fill up the top box and drive the queen down. I am afraid etalia is pulling your leg from afar. Might want to here from Michael first. No need ruining a good hive and taking a chance of squashing a queen just because you want them to do different.

Offline eltalia

• Queen Bee
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2017, 08:51:54 pm »

I am afraid etalia[sic] is pulling your leg from afar.

Indeed you my friend have that wrong also, it's almost so you build a list of wrongs, methinks :-/
Yet right there is the "why" I have mostly given up on offering apiary management tips unless something takes my fancy...way too many sophomores (sp?) making noise around what they think they know., mores the pity.

Aroc has posted his (?) issue in more than one forum. As yours, those responses are both wrong and confusing for a new BK, all wholly built on introverted attitudes to bee doings. I smile and walk on by.. but here in a forum of thinkers I would hope to be allowed the space to assist a struggler.

IF you think to learn to "beethink" I would layout the reasoning behind my earlier post, anything else and....well, it's not my colony that's honeybound in a flow coming into a time of dearth with winter packing looming.

Regards.

Bill

Offline Aroc

• House Bee
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2017, 11:02:30 pm »
Thanks Bill and everyone else.  It's a lot to ponder.  I do like your idea Bill.  I will probably try it this weekend.

I should've stated I do have a super on but the bees never moved up.  Today I took three frames of some comb I had in the freezer from last year that happened to be drawn out and put them in the center in hopes of enticing them up.

We are actually in a pretty good flow right now.  There are wild flowers and weeds along with clover and alfalfa all over the place.
You are what you think.

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2017, 09:52:17 am »
Have to do a lot of guessing on this one ...
Apparently the hive consist of two boxes and I will assume deeps.  I will also assume you plan to use mediums for supers.  At this time of year I would just put an empty box of foundation (medium) under the box of honey (deep) and walk away.  They (the bees) will either fill the medium with nectar or move the honey down to the medium or just raise brood in the medium.  This will create options depending on what they do.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it