Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Building up an overwintered nuc.  (Read 6721 times)

Offline Cass Cohenour

• House Bee
Building up an overwintered nuc.
« on: February 19, 2008, 02:05:01 am »
I have an overwintered nuc that is on its way to becoming a good productive this year. This link is to the first installment of the nucs progress during the upcoming season. I hope you enjoy.

http://wvbeekeeper.blogspot.com/2008/02/building-up-overwintered-nuc-part-1.html

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
Re: Building up an overwintered nuc.
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2008, 09:17:12 am »
Cass, well I did enjoy that.  Your Daughter is one brave lil' girl to go and do some work without any protection, gotta take my hat off to her, yeah!!  When I looked at the pictures, I judged her age to be about 10, and then you said that she was that age, what a gal.  Give her a pat on the back for me, and make sure that you told her that a forum friend said to do that, sweet child and what a beautiful lil' thing too!!!  Have a wonderful and awesome day, love earth.  Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline peggjam

• New Bee
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2008, 10:20:14 pm »
Cass, it sure is nice to see the younging playing with the girls.  I enjoyed reading about your nuc.  Let them build into two deep nuc bodies before you move them. :)

Offline KONASDAD

• Super Bee
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2008, 11:11:20 am »
My nephew loves the bees. He is five and when I go into hive he stands about five feet away, inching closer every minute. I give him a plastic spoon, and he knows exactly what capped honey looks like and he takes a big spoonfull w/ wax and all and eats it right there. I tell him eat quickly, or the beees will rob it back! He downs it like water. I hopwe he grows up wanting a hive or two. He's huge for a youing kid( 4'1" and 68lbs at five and half-solid too) and hopefully can carry hives in a few years for me! Need all the help I can get.
"The more complex the Mind, the Greater the need for the simplicity of Play".

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2008, 10:26:42 am »
Konasdad, I have heard you speak of your Nephew(s) before, I can't remember quite that, but I think you have a couple of them?  How many, do you have any Nieces?  So nice that you are that wonderful Uncle that is instilling an interest in the bees like you are so doing, I remember things like this when I read them, good for you, dude.....have a wonderful and beautiful day, great life on this earth.  Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline KONASDAD

• Super Bee
« Reply #5 on: February 29, 2008, 03:07:18 pm »
Konasdad, I have heard you speak of your Nephew(s) before, I can't remember quite that, but I think you have a couple of them?  How many, do you have any Nieces?  So nice that you are that wonderful Uncle that is instilling an interest in the bees like you are so doing, I remember things like this when I read them, good for you, dude.....have a wonderful and beautiful day, great life on this earth.  Cindi
Two boys on my side, ten on wifes.  3 girls, 7 boys ranging in age from 5 to 35. I can -lay chines checkers w/ some and go barhopping w/ the others. Long days up in New england
"The more complex the Mind, the Greater the need for the simplicity of Play".

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Galactic Bee
  • I really look like this, just ask Cindi.
    • http://spaces.msn.com/thecoonsden
« Reply #6 on: February 29, 2008, 06:10:03 pm »
Great pics, we're going to have to put you up there with Michael Bush and Tillie for providing linked resources to the forum. 

The nice thing about your set up, with the smaller sized frames in the lower box, you can continue to use that box as a builder nuc for raising queens or for selling nucs or expanding.  I'm using a similar setup this year but I'm using the deep box as the base as all my other equipment is mediums.  I can pull frames, queens, or complete nucs off of the 2 nucs I have set up and never have to bother the basic setup except for an occasional deep inspection.
Life is a school.  What have you learned?   :brian:      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!

Offline Cass Cohenour

• House Bee
« Reply #7 on: February 29, 2008, 07:55:17 pm »
Great pics, we're going to have to put you up there with Michael Bush and Tillie for providing linked resources to the forum. 

The nice thing about your set up, with the smaller sized frames in the lower box, you can continue to use that box as a builder nuc for raising queens or for selling nucs or expanding.  I'm using a similar setup this year but I'm using the deep box as the base as all my other equipment is mediums.  I can pull frames, queens, or complete nucs off of the 2 nucs I have set up and never have to bother the basic setup except for an occasional deep inspection.

Thanks, Brian. I'll be taking a lot of pictures this year and continue to update the blog. Hopefully this will help out some people. I don't think that there is anything quite like what I am doing with my blog on the web and you know what they say, "a picture is worth a thousand words".
You sure are right about the boxes. Having different sized boxes does give a beekeeper many more options as to what they can use their equipment for. I'll be using my assortment of nuc boxes for expansion this year. I have the little mini nucs I make for raising queens. If I want to sale them I'll have to use them and take a lot of pictures to share with prospective customers. I'm planning on running around 50 of the mini nucs this year. I will be keeping some of the queens for expanding but will also be selling more than half of those that I raise. I should have the first batch of queens ready in about two months.

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2008, 10:32:20 am »
Two boys on my side, ten on wifes.  3 girls, 7 boys ranging in age from 5 to 35. I can -lay chines checkers w/ some and go barhopping w/ the others. Long days up in New england

Konasdad, wow!!!  YOu are a lucky man, to think of all those children (and adult children) too (I still think of my adult Neices and Nephews as kids) that have a very obviously loveable and great Uncle.  Yeah!!!!!  They are on the other side of the coin, lucky to have you, yeah!!!!  I think that Neices and Nephews rank pretty close to Grandchildren, almost a lateral proudness, almost, except the Grandchildren are a progeny of ones progeny, so there is a little bit of a difference.  Oh, these thoughts of my family bring those tears of pride to my eyes, I love my family.....have a wonderful and beautiful day, thank you for taking me into this part of your life.  Cindi