Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Hive three is now sweet again  (Read 2593 times)

Offline tom

• House Bee
Hive three is now sweet again
« on: June 14, 2006, 12:58:15 am »
Hi

I did a great job of inspecting all three of my hives and i took a frame of capped brood and gave it to my second hive. I did notice that when i went into my yard i was not greated with sting or buzzing from my third hive and when i went into them they did not fly up to meet me they stayed calm and did not fuss none so i thought this was not my hive because they were so mean the other day. I alos got some bad news also one of my older beekeeping freinds passed away yesterday he was 90years old and a great freind to me now i have only one of my mentors left  his name was otis young of clarksville virginia and i will miss him. As for now all of my hives are doing well so far sourwood is coming in and we had rain for two days with more on it's way so the honey flow for sourwood should be good enough for my girls to have enough to make it this winter.

Tom

Offline yoderski

• House Bee
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2006, 01:35:34 pm »
Tom, although a new beek, I have noticed that there are good and bad days to visit the hive, and a sweet hive one day may not be quite as sweet the next.  However, I do notice a definite difference between my two hives--the ones are much more aggressive than the other in general.  Right now with the extended drought in south Alabama, mine are more grumpy. Come to think of it, the humans are too.    But nothing that a little rain won't be able to fix..[/img]
Jon Y.
Atmore, AL

Offline tom

• House Bee
I agree with you
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2006, 05:28:26 pm »
Hi

Well you are right i have three hives and the two carniolans are sweet and now the third one is two. As for the rain well we have been getting a down pour today but now i thing it is ending we got this rain from the hurricane and every thing here is soaked but now i have to build two of them up for the winter so they will make it but keep your figures cross rain will come in due time i am in the beggining of the sourwood bloom so this rain will help out alot.

Tom

Offline Hi-Tech

• Field Bee
    • talkhunting.com
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2006, 09:08:34 pm »
I wish we were soaked.  :cry: I just had to drive 30 miles to buy hay for cows. Having to buy hay in june is bad enough but to have to drive so far away to get it is pathetic. Everything is dry here and getting dryer. I have had to start feeding weak hives again.
Computer Tech, Beekeeper, Hunter = Hi-Tech Redneck
talkhunting.com

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Galactic Bee
  • I really look like this, just ask Cindi.
    • http://spaces.msn.com/thecoonsden
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2006, 05:39:26 am »
Darwin must be rolling over in his grave--feeding bees in June. LOL    Didn't he write something about survival of the fitest?  His one glaring error was that drought, dearth, etc., can cause even the very strongest to weaken and die out.  I believe the word extinct applies here.  

Feeding during dearth or drought is one of those exceptions to every rule things.
Life is a school.  What have you learned?   :brian:      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!

Offline Hi-Tech

• Field Bee
    • talkhunting.com
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2006, 02:09:34 am »
RAIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Its RAINING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D
Computer Tech, Beekeeper, Hunter = Hi-Tech Redneck
talkhunting.com

Offline Apis629

• Field Bee
    • A Hobbyist's Beekeeping Adventures
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2006, 01:10:35 am »
Sorry to hear about your fellow beek passing away.  If anything this reminds me of a good joke.

Eric passed away a few weeks before and then suddenly, comes as a vision to his old friend John.  He says, "Well, I have good news, they do have bees in heven and the honey-flows are always strong and right on time.  The bad news, John, is that you're helping me extract it next week."

Just my attempt at lightening a mood...

Offline tom

• House Bee
Thank you
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2006, 01:25:54 am »
Hello

Thank you apis for that nice joke it made me feel good to know that there are still good people out here in this world and Hi-Tech i told you it would rain if you just give it some time and watch your bees after they are going to go crazy working mine is working double time on sourwood and i also notice some other trees coming into bloom. Even my two weak hives are working well hive two i gave them a solid comb of capped brood so that will boost them more as for the third hhive they are filling up with bees but they are not working as hard as my two hives of carniolans. Oh and i have found a NWC queen i should have her in two weeks to requeen the third hive.

Tom