Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Bees in Magnolia tree  (Read 5379 times)

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
Bees in Magnolia tree
« on: June 08, 2006, 10:29:16 am »
There is a Magnolia tree with a hole about 2" around, three feet off the ground, where bees have taken up residency. This tree will be cut down, but not right now, perhaps within the year. The people who own the tree want the bees gone now, because it is within three feet of the sidewalk and are afraid for the safety of passerbys.

Feedback much appreciated at this point. I was thinking that if I could enlarge the hole in the tree, I could Vacum the bees. I know that there is a good chance that I could vacum the queen and that is ok.

My dilema is how to enlarge the hole and not create utter chaos. Has anyone ever tried to enlarge a hole in a tree while the bees were in the tree? Ted? I know I could do the cone method and was thinking I could drive them out with some beequick into a deep. Anyway, feedback appreciated, Thanks, JP.

One more thing, the tree does have a nice size cavity on the interior and one last thing, at the very minimum, I am prepared that I may not be able to save comb, but know I could save most of the bees and do a paper combine with another hive, Thnx.
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline Rabbitdog

• House Bee
Bees in Magnolia tree
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2006, 01:20:12 pm »
I'd use caution regarding enlarging the hole.  If the tree has a significant cavity (based on what you've said and that it is scheduled for removal), it may already be "hazardous".  If you do anything to the hole and something happens with the tree in a reasonable timeframe, you will likely get the blame or at least tied up in it.
Just remember the litigating world we live in ($ for spilled hot coffee, stupid warning labels on consumer goods, etc.).  A few bees ain't worth it. :wink:
"Born Po, Die Po" ........ just need to feed myself in between!

Offline Apis629

• Field Bee
    • A Hobbyist's Beekeeping Adventures
Bees in Magnolia tree
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2006, 04:20:30 pm »
Whenever I've been called to remove a bee tree, its been AFTER it has fallen to the ground.  Out of 4 cases, I've only seen 1 where the bees were salvegable.  Unfortunately, it would have been 2 but, they decided to spray pesticide, and then, feeling sorry, called me.  I couldn't do anything then, the bees were dead and the honey was poisoned.  Shame too; that tree had a cavity about 2 feet thick and 6 feet long with nothing but honey.  What I have to wonder though, is how can they have a hive THAT BIG and only notice it after it's cut down.  You'd think that the arborists cutting it down would see this cloud of bees emerging to see what the disturbance is. :?

Offline KONASDAD

• Super Bee
Bees in Magnolia tree
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2006, 05:29:27 pm »
Convince them the tree needs to come down. Afterall, it already has a huge hole , and is susceptible to wind damage. Its a safety hazard independent of the bees. The bees didn't make the hole. Its probably a branch they( or prior owner) removed and didn't properly heal the tree-resulting in hole.  If it so close to a walkway, even more reason it should be felled. good luck.
"The more complex the Mind, the Greater the need for the simplicity of Play".

Offline fcderosa

• House Bee
Bees in Magnolia tree
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2006, 08:23:45 pm »
Considering there’s a hive in the tree means there must be a sizable cavity.  Where I live we call those kind of trees widow makers.  Have professional take it down – they’re insured should anything go wrong,  a hollowed out tree is a dangerous thing, they can, and do kill people. :roll:
The good life is honey on a Ritz.

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Galactic Bee
  • I really look like this, just ask Cindi.
    • http://spaces.msn.com/thecoonsden
Bees in Magnolia tree
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2006, 10:59:46 pm »
I'm laughing because 2" means 2 inches whereas 2' equals 2 feet.  I'm picturing very small bees.  
Unless you can remove the tree with the bees in it it isn't worth bothering about.  If the tree is cut use a stethascope to find the boundaries of the cavity and cut above and below it--take back to you bee yard and them have the time of your life.
Life is a school.  What have you learned?   :brian:      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
    • JPthebeeman.com
bees in magnolia tree
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2006, 02:36:05 am »
the entrance into the cavity of the tree is approximately 2" yes that's two inches. This is the entry point. The cavity of the tree past the entrance is much larger as common sense would dictate, and I have peered into the cavity with my borescope. The cavity is not the problem, it's the entrance that's the problem.
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Galactic Bee
  • I really look like this, just ask Cindi.
    • http://spaces.msn.com/thecoonsden
Bees in Magnolia tree
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2006, 03:26:45 am »
Thank god! I was hoping it was just my glasses.
Life is a school.  What have you learned?   :brian:      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
    • JPthebeeman.com
bees in magnolia tree
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2006, 09:43:18 pm »
Hey guys I still haven't tackled the Magnolia tree...would like some more responses from any who have done what I am about to do with this tree. Ted? Michael Bush? Anyone else ever try to enlarge a tree opening to remove bees, while the bees were in it?

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
Bees in Magnolia tree
« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2006, 10:27:40 pm »
I've done the cone method in such situations.  The problem is when you close off the entnrace there are suddenly tens of thousands of confused bees circling trying to figure out how to get home.  At this point the home owner usually goes crazy with the spray or calls the exterminator.  Your's is already concerned about passerbys.  How concerned will they bee with 70,000 bees flying around?

Every tree, of course, is different, but I never had any luck doing a cut out without cutting down the tree.

http://www.bushfarms.com/beesferal.htm
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
    • JPthebeeman.com
bees in magnolia tree
« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2006, 09:03:21 pm »
Hey Ted, what about you, I know you do lots of cutouts, ever do a tree like this? Thnx for your responses guys.

Offline latebee

• House Bee
Bees in Magnolia tree
« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2006, 07:26:38 pm »
If the tree were in an isolated area the screen cone will work sometimes. But since it is so close to a sidewalk(I suppose it is the siewalk near the street) the ensuing choas of the foragers trying to get back in would probably cause panic in the nieghborhood. Being a good steward of bees--I think this situation may lead to more harm than good and present a lot of negativity in the area. As for honeybee public relations,what would John Q. Public think when he sees thousands of crazed bees flying so close to the city sidewalk?This is one situation I would leave alone,only because of the location.
The person who walks in another's tracks leaves NO footprints.