BEEKEEPING LEARNING CENTER > GENERAL BEEKEEPING - MAIN POSTING FORUM.

Getting to know me is to love me?

(1/2) > >>

Anonymous:
I did a little experiment. I took a ball of my hair from my brush and put it at the entrance to one of the most aggressive hives at about 7:30-8:00 at night. They covered it with between 80-90 argry sisters for about a hour or so then went back inside. After that they seemed less hostile to me. a week later I put hair from another brush at the hive and only about 5 bees came out and checked it out. I also put hair at another hive and they ignored it totally.

Apis629:
They probably just get used to the smell.  I have to say though, that's a novel idea and, how did the bees behave around you after being exposed to your "hair scent" for a given period?  Were they nicer, the same, or more aggressive?

Brian D. Bray:
The "Do your bees know you?" debate undergoes a test.  Great!  Just remember that what you eat can upset them too.  Trying going near them ofter drinking a can of coke and then going near them when you're sure you have no caffeine products in you system.  You should notice a big difference and this maybe more of an explanation as to unexpected proddiness than when your bees recognize your scent.

I never drink caffinated products, wear colone, or eat onions on days I know I'm going to be checking the bees.  It helps keeps them less proddy.

fcderosa:
I read that too and decided to do a little experiment.  I am a heavy coffee drinker and I guess my hives close to the house have gotten use to me here having coffee breath.  I went the other day to work the hives I dread - about thiry miles away - they're just plain mean.  I popped some hard honey candy (the kind Kelly's sells) in my mouth before hooding up.  They did seem much less aggressive, even workable to the point I didn't need to suit up, just hood and gloves.

Doorman:
hairballs for bees!! what a interesting idea. minds like yours are why I think hobby beekeepers are on the cutting edge. If it works it changes beekeeping, if it doesn't then we know one more thing that doesn't work (thomas edison) considered that to be highly valuable. Come to think of it most of what we do comes from hobby beekeepers.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version