BEEKEEPING LEARNING CENTER > REQUEENING & RAISING NEW QUEENS

Notching for Queen Cells

(1/3) > >>

Ben Framed:
Mr Bill,  ?eltalia? from Australia. Has kindly gave me some information about the practice of notching. This is a very interesting subject. In my search for more information, I found this interesting video which does not really go to deeply in the notching subject but does have an interesting stand that can be used for either notching or grafting I suppose. I thought I would post it just in case it might benefit others. It is only about 3 minutes long.
Phillip

https://youtu.be/jJMUq2lkRb4

BeeMaster2:
Ben,
It does show the technique. Good share.

Jim Altmiller

CoolBees:
Phillip, thank you for the video. That is a handy frame hilder. Could you (or anyone) explain the reason for Notching the cells?

Thanks,
Alan

Ben Framed:
Thanks Alan, This is another way in which to raise queens. There are other videos and on line information that explain this in more detail. Eltalia, Mr Bill was taught this practice many years ago. You will find him on the down-under beekeeping heading which is a couple headings below the general beekeeping heading. I feel sure that if you ask him, he will be more than glad to explain this if further detail. As I said this is nothing new to him.  Happy Good Friday to you,
Phillip

BeeMaster2:
Alan,
I use this technique when I do a split to make it easier for the bees to make a queen cell, especially on old comb. It enables the bees to make a vertical cell with out wasting a lot of Royal Jelly to float the larvae out to the edge of the comb. They bees usually use the notches over un notched comb.
Jim

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version