BEEKEEPING LEARNING CENTER > GENERAL BEEKEEPING - MAIN POSTING FORUM.

Question, switching hive locations to strengthen a weak hive??

(1/3) > >>

van from Arkansas:
The question: If a person switches location of hive A, weak hive, with another strong hive called hive called hive B, WILL THE RETURNING FORAGERS FIGHT?  In others words, foragers from hive A will return to Hive B and visa a versa.

I have read about switching hive locations to strengthen a weak hive but I have never done such.  I realize there are several means of strengthening a weak hive.  But the question comes to mind, will the bees fight or accept the foragers from another relocated hive.

Another question comes to mind regarding a bees eyes. As we know, honey bees have 5, five eyes: 2 two large oblivious eyes and 3 tiny eyes.  The tiny eyes are of question: with a drone the tiny eyes are positioned in the front of the head granting frontal vision whereas the queen and workers tiny eyes are on top of the head.  I have studied the tiny eyes are for NIGHT vision.  So why the eyes on top of the head of the females; this would allow vision above, not frontal viewing which is puzzling to me.  Not sure there is a bonafied answer here so I am asking for your best shot.
Warmth and Sunshine to All.

herbhome:
First question,
I have done this a few times and it works pretty well. If your hives are in a row the end hive will end up the heaviest from heavy laden foragers just stopping at the first available hive and as long as they are bearing gifts the guards let them pass. Take the heaviest hive and swap with the lightest, and if there is a flow on the weight gain will be noticeable in a week or so. Never had any fighting that I noticed.

Second, as I recall the ocelli or simple eyes are for fixing the sun's position and therefore help in navigation. I question that bees have much night vision at all. They get around in the total darkness of the hive by scent and touch.

Hope that was helpful, maybe someone with much more experience can weigh in. :smile:

iddee:
I use the swap hive regularly to balance population of hives. It works.

I know nothing about the eyes, but I have seen people get stung 50 feet from the hive on a dark night when standing still. "Not moving". I am thinking they have some night vision, tho how much I have no idea.

van from Arkansas:
Herb: Second, as I recall the ocelli or simple eyes are for fixing the sun's position and therefore help in navigation.

Yes, I have read the same.  Would explain the triangle position of the tiny eyes.  Good an answer as any.

Yes Sir, ID, Stung in the dark???  I would hate to mess with those bees in daylight.

I find: the more I know about honeybees, the less I understand.

Van from Arkansas

Vance G:
As in most of life attitude is everything.  A forager returning home loaded with water, pollen or nectar is allowed in with no problem.  A bee sneaking in to steal has a whole different demeanor and is met with resistence.  It is important to do it mid day when many foragers are out for your weak hive to get a meaningful boost. 

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version