BEEKEEPING LEARNING CENTER > GENERAL BEEKEEPING - MAIN POSTING FORUM.

Beespace between frames and lid?

(1/6) > >>

SiWolKe:
Hello all,
do bees need beespace on top of the frames under the lid ( or insulation) to go over the frames as a winter cluster?
How do the move to the next comb if the comb is enclosed by wooden bars?

Live Oak:
The bees can still move to the next comb.  I put an Immerie Shim under the inner cover of my hives.  This serves a number purposes.  It provides and upper entrance, vent for water vapor generated by the cluster, space for a Mitathol bag or food patty to name a few. 

SiWolKe:

--- Quote from: Live Oak on January 20, 2019, 12:57:48 pm ---The bees can still move to the next comb.  I put an Immerie Shim under the inner cover of my hives.  This serves a number purposes.  It provides and upper entrance, vent for water vapor generated by the cluster, space for a Mitathol bag or food patty to name a few.

--- End quote ---

I?m not familiar with that term Immerie shim, can you send a picture or can anyone? Is it put directly on the frames and has an opening to the top?
Thanks.

iddee:
Our friend Google knows everything.

https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b-1&q=Immerie+shim

SiWolKe:
Looks like a cloake board which can be opened but are not the bees still able to move over the frames? There is still some space or am I wrong?

I want to know if I put a cloth right on top of the frames it would be easier to take off my insulation lid. It?s bottom sticks to the frames and lifts them up while opening.
That?s a mess because the bees come out and attack if not smoked and it squashes many bees if I close up again while prying off the frames.

But my former mentor said the bee cluster needs to go over the frames in winter.

In winter times this shim is not used except for feeding I read, or is the insulation placed right on top of the frames inside the shim?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version