BEEKEEPING LEARNING CENTER > GENERAL BEEKEEPING - MAIN POSTING FORUM.

What Is the Truth Concerning Neonicotinoids ?

(1/9) > >>

Ben Framed:
Being I am a first year beekeeper, and having built up to 7 hives, and being the area in which I live, (close to the Mississippi Delta), where much cotton and soybeans are grown, what am I facing in accordance with the threat of neonicotinoids? My first summer was primarily used to gather the bees and equipment, striving to get a good establishment for these hives here at my home, which is far enough from the delta area to be safe.  I realize that I must first get the colonies through the winter alive. According to the report from Mississippi State University, between the benefit of both cotton and soybeans, both show, on their chart, that a surplus of honey can be expected between these two crops, making it possibly beneficial for me to relocate my hives in early summer to take advantage of these long season bloomers. But as per the subject heading, I am concerned about the Neonicotinoids.. Has anyone, or does anyone deal with this type of situation? Or for that matter is there anyone that doesn't deal with this type of situation, that might happen to be informed enough to give some good sound advice on this subject?

Thanks, Phillip Hall "Ben Framed"

paus:
I am in the same "quandary" you are in.  A friend that raises lots of cotton wants me to put bees on his cotton.  There is a new Facebook forum named Texas Cotton Honey Producers Guild. I joined yesterday.  My main concern is Neonicotinoids.  Some of my club members are going to meet with him in the next week or two and ask about these concerns.  Since I first wrote this the name of the cotton group changed the name to "Texas Cotton Honey Guild".

Ben Framed:

--- Quote from: paus on November 27, 2018, 09:34:09 am ---I am in the same "quandary" you are in.  A friend that's raises lots of cotton wants me to put bees on his cotton.  There is a new Facebook forum named Texas Cotton Honey Producers Guild. I joined yesterday.  My main concern is Neonicotinoids.  Some of my club members are going to meet with him in the next week or two and ask about these concerns.  Since I first wrote this the name of the cotton group changed the name to "Texas Cotton Honey Guild".

--- End quote ---

Thanks for your reply, I know little, (next to nothing) about Neonicotinoids.  I am thinking they are placed into the seeds, themselves?  Seems I read this somewhere. I am wondering if the Neonicotinoids within the seeds are enough to harm our bees? Also, when Neonicotinoids are used in the spray form, I am thinking they will defiantly cause damage or harm.  But wouldn't that be true for any pesticide used on cotton or soybeans?  There are beehives that are in plain sight throughout the delta region. So, there are sure to be ways to protect bees form the spray? Do beekeepers enclose their hives during times of spraying? Do they cover their hives also during this time? And if so, how long, or how many days until it is safe to free the bees to go back to work?  I have many more questions but this is probably a good enough start for now.. 

Thanks, Phillip

chux:
I'm sure someone will come on here and talk about it. I remember reading a while back about there being one type of cotton that was treated and could possibly be bad for bees. Personally, I have had dozens of hives on cotton for the last 6 years, and my bees do well with it. The honey is very light and will crystalize rather quickly, but it is very tasty. Cotton works in my area and operation because it is one of the few things blooming at that time of summer. Without it, the bees would be eating honey I want to harvest. Instead, they keep storing away, and I get a good extraction at the end of the summer.

Ben Framed:

--- Quote from: chux on November 27, 2018, 12:12:07 pm ---I'm sure someone will come on here and talk about it. I remember reading a while back about there being one type of cotton that was treated and could possibly be bad for bees. Personally, I have had dozens of hives on cotton for the last 6 years, and my bees do well with it. The honey is very light and will crystalize rather quickly, but it is very tasty. Cotton works in my area and operation because it is one of the few things blooming at that time of summer. Without it, the bees would be eating honey I want to harvest. Instead, they keep storing away, and I get a good extraction at the end of the summer.

--- End quote ---

Thanks chux, that sounds good to me. Thanks for responding with your six years of cotton experience. I would guess that areas where cotton is grown that is low on pest will probably not have to be sprayed, or sprayed as often??  Is this what you have enjoyed, low or no spray? In other words, do you know if the Cotton has been sprayed since you have been keeping bees there?   And if yes, do you know if the farmer used Neonicotinoids?  I just want to tell you that I really appreciate you sharing your experience with cotton and the type of honey that you enjoy from it. Your post has really lifted my hopes.
Thanks, Phillip

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version