Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Apivar and  (Read 2641 times)

Offline Aroc

• House Bee
Apivar and
« on: October 27, 2018, 05:36:29 pm »
So just a bit of curiosity.  Still haven?t been completely satisfied with an easy way to do OAV so I have reverted to Apivar. 

I?ve been getting conflicting information on using honey for human consumption after Apivar application. 

Some sites associated with Apivar say it doesn?t harm honey in any way while others will say to remove supers before using Apivar.

???
You are what you think.

Offline Spur9

• House Bee
Re: Apivar and
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2018, 09:47:16 pm »
ApiVar contains a hard chemical (amitraz). It is harmful to humans if ingested. I would not risk my health or the health of others by using it with supers on the hive.

I used a Varrox wand for the last couple of years with around 15 hives. Took 1.5 hours to treat them following instructions. And I was in no hurry.

With 30 hives this year, I bought a ProVap and it is a breeze. Done in 30 minutes.
7a - 1650ft

Van, Arkansas, USA

« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2018, 09:55:37 pm »
Spur, exactly what I do, did; I used varrox, then this year I purchased a Provap.  I also run 15-20 hives as a hobbyist.  Not going to 30 hives though,,,, to much for me with my arthritis.  Getting old is great.
Blessings

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2018, 12:55:41 am »
Spur, exactly what I do, did; I used varrox, then this year I purchased a Provap.  I also run 15-20 hives as a hobbyist.  Not going to 30 hives though,,,, to much for me with my arthritis.  Getting old is great.
Blessings

I put together an "AmateurVap" (that's my words) , haa ha, similar to the one which is on YouTube by; (now when I say by); I think it's by LJ, though the fellow would never answer back in the comment section. So he may not be LJ.    Busch_84 steered me in the right direction to a link from another avenue . It might also be here?  Cost less than 20 dollars very simply to make, and really blows out the ov!!
Though I have never seen anyone else do it, I use a harbor freight laser thermometer to check the temp. Works like a lucky charm!
« Last Edit: October 28, 2018, 01:22:24 am by Ben Framed »
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline blackforest beekeeper

• Field Bee
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2018, 04:07:19 am »
So just a bit of curiosity.  Still haven?t been completely satisfied with an easy way to do OAV so I have reverted to Apivar. 

I?ve been getting conflicting information on using honey for human consumption after Apivar application. 

Some sites associated with Apivar say it doesn?t harm honey in any way while others will say to remove supers before using Apivar.

???

if you would use ANY treatment before last honey has been pulled in Germany, you just about have had it as a honey-seller.

Offline beepro

• Field Bee
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2018, 05:29:48 am »
Remove the supers before you treat with Apivar.  It is not good for human consumption I've read.  Amitraz will leave a
residue on the drawn comb too. 

Offline Beepah

• New Bee
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2018, 01:28:10 pm »
The manufacturer says "Apivar can be used year-round when honey supers are not on the hives" so that is the best guidance.
They cite a couple of studies that show no significant residual amitraz in honey collected _after_ treatment, one NZ study and one USA study. 

Offline TheHoneyPump

• Queen Bee
  • Work Hard. Play Harder.
Apivar and
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2018, 02:39:25 pm »
ApiVar is a VERY effective mite reducer. I would go so far as to say it is the most consistent and the best overall.  PROPERLY USED, there are no measurable residuals. The product has been in use for almost 2 decades with plenty of supportive studies. Use it with confidence and comfort. Just use it at the proper time and properly apply. Read on ...

Many methods of mite controls work as fumigants. The action requires ambient conditions and temperatures that promote release and distribution of the vapours in the hive to reach mites at concentration levels that will affect the mite. This includes thymol variants, formic acid, and other. The concentration released varies by the ambient conditions inside and outside the hive. Too little released; few mites are killed, the money and time are completely wasted. Too much released; the bees are upset, brood is affected, queens are lost, bees abscond or are killed. When conditions are right these do work very effectively with great results.

Apivar is a contact treatment. As the bees walk over, under and around the strips they come into contact with the active ingredient. There is no over or under treatment concentration released. If the bees touch it they are treated, if they do not touch it they are not treated. The bees can repeatedly be in contact with the strip and not be affected yet the results on the mite are lethal. Apivar works at any time, in all conditions, no restrictions, no prerequisites.

If you have a variable climate or need to treat in a period that the weather will be uncertain -contact- type treatments are the better choice and will be much more effective. Includes; Apivar, OA dribble, OA/glycerine towels, grease patties with tea tree, and other such things.

To minimize and eliminate traces of treatments in honey, remove ANY treatment a minimum of 2 weeks (3 weeks preferred) before putting on a honey super that you will be harvesting. The treatment is dissipated over this time by metabolism of the bees, bee attrition, and general hive hygiene activities. Folks tend to focus on this timing as a negative towards Apivar. The reality is that it applies to ALL treatments. Good management will apply this principle to all treatments; for mites and/or other pests and pathogens.

There is a huge difference in methods and techniques between -managing mite levels-  versus  -knocking down mite levels-.  One is defence to control and hold, the other is an attack to reduce or eradicate. Optimum results and success across your apiary is the balance of knowing when to switch approach from one to the other and then back.

Ideally:
- To keep ongoing mite levels low and controlled, use IPM mechanical methods and other -soft- type treatments.  (Defend).  The bees comfort and prosperity are at stake. This is the time to experiment with alternative methods.
- When a breakout occurs and a high mite level needs attention, use aggressive treatments of OAV, Apivar, Formic, ...   (Attack). The bees lives are at stake. Imminent death is upon them. This is the time to use the proven. No messing around at this stage.

For example:  If a hive has a heavy infestation OAV immediately followed by Apivar strips inserted is likely the only treatment that will save a hive; if it can be saved at all.

We have many effective options for mite management and mite level reduction. First and foremost, know what you have by sampling.  Next is please make the distinction that control (defend) and reduction (attack) are not the same things when talking about mites. The key to success is applying which one under the conditions and need at the time. Do not shy away from Apivar if it is available to you. It is one of the most effective tools in the toolbox.  However, it is like knowing when to use the pipe wrench vs the crescent vs the torque wrench. The toolbox needs to be full of variety. Choosing the right tool for the job, and knowing how to use it properly, is the key message here.  Sometimes you just need to tweak adjust with the screwdriver, other times the mallet is the better selection.

I hope that helps!
« Last Edit: October 30, 2018, 05:48:35 pm by TheHoneyPump »
When the lid goes back on, the bees will spend the next 3 days undoing most of what the beekeeper just did to them.

Offline rockink

• House Bee
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2018, 10:31:07 am »
Ben Framed, do you have a link to $20 version you made?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

anything