Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Feeding Pollen Substitute in Late Season  (Read 6306 times)

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
Feeding Pollen Substitute in Late Season
« on: October 22, 2018, 10:21:19 pm »
I have questions. I live in North Mississippi. Hive beetles have been a nuisance for me in my first year of beekeeping and I even lost a good hive to them. Thanks to some of the members here and some more kind folks, I have learned to get them under control! Here's my question;  Since it has frosted here, will it be ok to place small pollen patties on the top frames, or is it still to early to chance it? Should I just continue to feed in the outside pollen feeder until later in the fall, and after the bees have quit flying regularly, and the true winter has hit?  Would that be a better time to  feed the patties? I have made splits and Im sure that a little extra pollen will be beneficial to them when all shuts down for the true winter. I am thinking when the real cold hits, the extra  protein might be needed? When do the hive beetles usually settle down and quit flying and attempting to invade?
Thanks, Phillip Hall "Ben Framed"
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
Re: Feeding Pollen Substitute in Late Season
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2018, 10:32:00 pm »
The beetles stay in the hive all winter.
You can feed pollen sub as long as you remove the remains and replace with fresh every 72 hours. Feed only what they can consume in that period of time.
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2018, 07:58:09 am »
Phillip,
Once the weather chills down, the queen should stop laying. Then the bees will not need pollen until they start building back up. Here that is December 22, winter solstice. If there is no maple pollen coming in, then you would want to add pollen.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline sc-bee

• Super Bee
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2018, 04:24:09 pm »
The beetles stay in the hive all winter.
You can feed pollen sub as long as you remove the remains and replace with fresh every 72 hours. Feed only what they can consume in that period of time.

So will they still lay and hatch in cooler weather with the temps dropping? I know they won't pupate in the soil in the cooler weather.
John 3:16

Offline Dallasbeek

• Super Bee
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2018, 04:34:21 pm »
Honest question:  i thought bees only used bee bread/pollen substitute to feed brood.  Am I mistaken?  If that is so, then what is accomplised by feeding pollen substitute when the queen is not laying?
"Liberty lives in the hearts of men and women; when it dies there, no constitution, no laws, no court can save it." - Judge Learned Hand, 1944

Offline blackforest beekeeper

• Field Bee
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2018, 04:52:50 pm »
as far as I know some guys up north give it to nourish the winter-bees (before winter)

In Germany, feeding substitute is a pretty much unknown.

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2018, 05:03:56 pm »
Honest question:  i thought bees only used bee bread/pollen substitute to feed brood.  Am I mistaken?  If that is so, then what is accomplised by feeding pollen substitute when the queen is not laying?

I can't remember if it was Joe May, Don, Canadian bee keeper, David at Barnyard bees, devan raven, Richard Noel or someone else told me that they need a certain amount of pollen through the winter .  I wish I could remember and quote, or at least I would have written it down, but ot was one of more of the heavy hitters.
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline paus

• Field Bee
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2018, 05:33:27 pm »
I have been told by a Master Beek that rule of thumb 2 frames bee bread and 6 frames of honey. I am going to sit back and learn.

Offline Dallasbeek

• Super Bee
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2018, 06:40:21 pm »
Okay, but I thought the bee bread was there to feed brood in late winter/early spring when the queen started building up the hive (laying) and no new pollen was coming in.  I guess I need to go back and study some more about the basic operation of the hive.
"Liberty lives in the hearts of men and women; when it dies there, no constitution, no laws, no court can save it." - Judge Learned Hand, 1944

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2018, 08:21:10 am »
When the bees are broodless, they can survive all winter with honey only. They store up pollen in the fall in preparation for the spring build up that occurs before they are able to go out and get it.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2018, 08:40:26 am »
""So will they still lay and hatch in cooler weather with the temps dropping? I know they won't pupate in the soil in the cooler weather.""

Probably not, but they will start as soon as the weather warms enough to activate them.

Adult bees consume pollen to make royal jelly and use it to make bee bread. They use very little, if any, for their own anatomy.
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline Dallasbeek

• Super Bee
« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2018, 10:44:21 am »
Jim, Iddee, thanks for making that clear.  So back to my point (I think), which is why are we discussing feeding pollen substitute when the hive is broodless and no pollen is coming in?

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2018, 10:44:59 am »
If beetles lay when the weather is warm enough to activate them, how does this coincide with the period when the queen bees continue laying in late fall, late winter and early spring?  Do the hive beetles and queen generally have the same time schedule? I am guessing not?  When the ground freezes in my area in December, some years even in November wouldn't it be fruitless for the beetles to lay when the larva has no chance to burrow in the ground? Will the queen bee lay well after the beetles will stop laying? I have been told that bees lay until late fall. Bees start laying well before the winter is over in February in my area of Mississippi?  If this is  correct, then ground will still be frozen in my area some years until March, off and on, If this is correct then the beetles will do what? Lay and slime the hive even before the bees have a chance to get going in the spring then die out themselves because they can not burrow? Slime the hive late fall, or, do the beetles wait until the ground is the right tempature to begin laying? Either way, the bees will indeed need a certain amount of pollen going into late fall and winter and as early as February, since I have been told the queen will start laying then, no natural pollen willl be avaible until late March and early April? So wouldn't it be good to make sure the bees have a good amount of pollen going into winter in order to ensure they have enough for their purposes?   Thanks Phillip Hall

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #13 on: October 24, 2018, 10:53:01 am »
If beetles lay when the weather is warm enough to activate them, how does this coincide with the period when the queen bees continue laying in late fall, late winter and early spring?  Do the hive beetles and queen generally have the same time schedule? I am guessing not?  When the ground freezes in my area in December, some years even in November wouldn't it be fruitless for the beetles to lay when the larva has no chance to burrow in the ground? Will the queen bee lay well after the beetles will stop laying? I have been told that bees lay until late fall. Bees start laying well before the winter is over in February in my area of Mississippi?  If this is  correct, then ground will still be frozen in my area some years until March, off and on, If this is correct then the beetles will do what? Lay and slime the hive even before the bees have a chance to get going in the spring then die out themselves because they can not burrow? Slime the hive late fall, or, do the beetles wait until the ground is the right tempature to begin laying? Either way, the bees will indeed need a certain amount of pollen going into late fall and winter and as early as February, since I have been told the queen will start laying then, no natural pollen willl be avaible until late March and early April? So wouldn't it be good to make sure the bees have a good amount of pollen going into winter in order to ensure they have enough for their purposes? If no pollen otnthe proper amount of pollen , what good would it do for the queen to start laying in February if no pollen for royal jelly? And if she is not  adequately supplied with enough no new bees for a much longer time period . The bees that have already endured a winter will have to survive even longer without fresh  enforcement?  How long will the hive survive without the fresh bees? Thanks Phillip Hall

Offline Hops Brewster

• Field Bee
« Reply #14 on: October 24, 2018, 11:00:18 am »
There are very few flowers still in bloom, but a few bees are still bringing in pollen.   Why, at this late season?
My hives have all reduced population, but so far have not completely stopped laying, so fresh bee bread is still needed, or they are still laying up to have it on hand when buildup begins.

Even though I see pollen going into the hives, I won't be giving any supplemental pollen sub until late winter for buildup.  Right now I'm only feeding syrup to help ensure adequate winter stores.
Winter is coming.

I can't say I hate the government, but I am proudly distrustful of them.

Offline blackforest beekeeper

• Field Bee
« Reply #15 on: October 24, 2018, 11:41:54 am »
Jim, Iddee, thanks for making that clear.  So back to my point (I think), which is why are we discussing feeding pollen substitute when the hive is broodless and no pollen is coming in?
I don`t know about your places. In Germany, though there are winters, almost all year long the bees can gather pollen, IF they can fly. So I have seen bees bringing in Pollen on a mild christmas eve, e.g. In winter, hazelnut is "blooming", then there is alder, with the willows early spring has come and first nectar-flow might set in for build-up. I think in the BlackForest this year they didn`t get any of it, cause it was too cold to fly. Also in winter hazelnut completely went past them as it was too cold during all the blooming time.

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #16 on: October 24, 2018, 01:11:20 pm »
@ hops   My first year beekeeping. Did cut out in April good bees hard workers.   A critter knocked hive over.  This was a cut out. No reinforced combs. Queen destroyed. Salvaged what was possible. Made a decision.  Ordered four queens.  Used nuc boxes. All four made a tremendous come back though it was late. All four are strong hives, in comb and bees. Weak  on pollen.  We have had our first frost. No natural pollen coming in here. The reason this late for feeding pollen, would like for  hives  to be a strong as possible Going into winter. No pollen, no new bees. I want the queen laying into the season or what's left of it,  as long as possible. Thanks, Phillip

Offline 2Sox

• House Bee
« Reply #17 on: October 24, 2018, 01:14:14 pm »
Phillip,
Once the weather chills down, the queen should stop laying. Then the bees will not need pollen until they start building back up. 
Jim

I agree.  It's my understanding that pollen sub only encourages queen laying and brood rearing.  Why would you want that going into winter?  When I feed pollen sub in spring and summer, my hive populations explode.  I've had packages swarm the first season as a result.

I have a question about winter patties and I'll do a separate post on that.
"Good will is the desire to have something else stronger and more beautiful for this desire makes oneself stronger and more beautiful." - Eli Siegel, American educator, poet, founder of Aesthetic Realism

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #18 on: October 24, 2018, 01:17:05 pm »

My hives or not broodless, And I would like for the queen to lay long as possible. No pollen no new bees? More explanation in previous post to hops. Thanks Philip PS. Working and can't really go into depth as would like talk to you guys later.

Offline 2Sox

• House Bee
« Reply #19 on: October 24, 2018, 01:23:53 pm »
@ hops   My first year beekeeping. Did cut out in April good bees hard workers.   A critter knocked hive over.  This was a cut out. No reinforced combs. Queen destroyed. Salvaged what was possible. Made a decision.  Ordered four queens.  Used nuc boxes. All four made a tremendous come back though it was late. All four are strong hives, in comb and bees. Weak  on pollen.  We have had our first frost. No natural pollen coming in here. The reason this late for feeding pollen, would like for  hives  to be a strong as possible Going into winter. No pollen, no new bees. I want the queen laying into the season or what's left of it,  as long as possible. Thanks, Phillip

With these conditions you describe, I'd think it would be a good idea to feed pollen substitute.
"Good will is the desire to have something else stronger and more beautiful for this desire makes oneself stronger and more beautiful." - Eli Siegel, American educator, poet, founder of Aesthetic Realism

anything