BEEKEEPING LEARNING CENTER > GENERAL BEEKEEPING - MAIN POSTING FORUM.

Plastic Frames reuse

(1/11) > >>

TheHoneyPump:
Once the bees are put away for winter it is time to get on with working on equipment to make ready for next year.  Repairing, refurbishing, replacing, new builds etc.
A question to the group regarding plastic frames.  Specifically;
What do you do with plastic frames (pierco, acorn, etc) of old black or gnarly comb? Do you just throw them out in the trash, or what?

cao:
I don't have any plastis frames, but I have some plastic foundation that needed cleaning.  I scraped as much of the comb off as I could.  Dipped them in a boiling pot of water.  Then while the wax was still warm, smacked them on the table to get rid of most of the cocoons.  It didn't get rid of them all but, it got rid of enough of them to reuse after I rewax them.

BeeMaster2:
Thp,
I have a stack of plastic that I will be using my pressure washer to clean up. Later I will dip the plastic foundation and plastic frames in wax.
By the way, on the plastic frames, I used a glue gun to fill in the gaps around the top and sides so that the SHB cannot hide in them.
Jim

robirot:
If possible use a spatula to scrape them of.  Then you don't need to rewax. Else pressure cleaner and rewax.

blackforest beekeeper:
quite a mess, I assume?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version