Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Harvesting honey out of used to be brood frames  (Read 1027 times)

Offline LizzieBee

• House Bee
Harvesting honey out of used to be brood frames
« on: August 20, 2018, 04:06:36 pm »
Can honey that was stored in a brood frame be contaminated? A while back I moved a frame of brood into my honey super. The bees filled it with honey after the brood hatched. There is no brood in the frame anymore. So harvesting the honey from this frame should be ok even though it was once used to raise brood?

Lizzie

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
Re: Harvesting honey out of used to be brood frames
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2018, 04:55:44 pm »
Absolutely
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2018, 07:41:42 pm »
Lizzie,
Every time I remove bees from feral hives the honey is in comb that started out as brood comb. That is because the bees start building at the top and then build downwards as it grows. The brood section moves down as the hive grows and the bees then fills the old brood comb with honey. I harvest this honey and keep it for me.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline beepro

• Field Bee
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2018, 03:50:58 am »
It is absolutely safe to do so.  I've harvest the honey from the brood frames before.  At each bee emergence
cycle the cells have a cocoon left over after the bees came out.  This is the cleanest cell that the queen like to
lay in immediately.  So taking honey from these clean cap cells should not have any issue.  Happy harvesting!

anything