Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Bee Researcher-- Need help gathering data from "down under"!!  (Read 2251 times)

Offline jennyyang

• New Bee
Bee Researcher-- Need help gathering data from "down under"!!
« on: August 12, 2018, 02:57:25 am »
Hi everyone! New member here? my name is Jenny, and I?m a beekeeper from San Francisco, California. Along with beekeeping, I?m a young computer scientist.

This summer I?ve been working on a project to help preserve our bees. The idea is, I gather a lot of bee images from beekeepers AROUND THE WORLD. Using this data, I can teach code to recognize bees. With enough information, I?ll be able to show any image with bees to the code, and it will find the bees, diagnose their health, and give other details about them! This would be a much faster, safer, and simpler way to understand hive health and bees in general.

Of course, I need YOUR help! I am looking for beekeepers that are interested in providing me with some quick data about their hive. It will be VERY easy, and you will be massively helping the bee preservation cause!

Please fill out this short form: https://goo.gl/forms/hav1W155lfS62wO43 if you are interested in helping out or learning more! Also feel free to comment below if you have any questions, or share this post to spread the word. Thanks in advance, and let?s save our bees!!!
« Last Edit: August 12, 2018, 06:37:04 pm by jennyyang »

Offline eltalia

• Queen Bee
Re: Bee Researcher-- Need help gathering data from "down under"!!
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2018, 04:01:35 am »
G'day Jenny... not a new idea this project but thanks for the thought.
To help you gather or rather sort whom to gather data from in a scientific
 manner I would think entry level should include Latitude and Longitude?
For Australia only I am reasonably certain national data is available to you
from Department of Primary Industry, and at a State level from Dept. of
Forestry or Dept. of Natural Resources (DERM).
You might also contact the Australian Honeybee Council, a federal
representative body.

Lucks, and hope that helps some. :-))

Bill

anything