Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: How to lure small hive beetles to their death?  (Read 5054 times)

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
Re: How to lure small hive beetles to their death?
« Reply #20 on: July 29, 2018, 10:10:24 pm »
I think a lure is already made or I have read of experimental use of one... the controversy is, do you really want to lure them???

They come unwelcome, they come anyway and are already lured naturally to the bee hives, to the apiary, so yes, I want to lure them or divert them from my bees and to something stronger that they can't refuse once they arrive. Like I said earlier, I would like to see them march in a box or trap, as a swarm does when the queen is inside waiting! If this lures others that wouldn't already want to come and slime a hive then so be it. Let them come; to their death! 💀 We gentlemen and ladies are at war with this invader wether we like it or not?   I don't want to be defensive or reactive, it's time to be offensive and proactive. In my opinion. Let not one beetle escape!! 😊😁
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #21 on: July 29, 2018, 10:52:26 pm »
I think a lure is already made or I have read of experimental use of one... the controversy is, do you really want to lure them???

sc-bee   I also want to thank you for your reply. Do you know any of the details of this new lure? How effective it is?  And if it's close to being past the experimental stages? Thanks again for your input.  Sincerely, Phillip Hall
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline herbhome

• Field Bee
« Reply #22 on: July 30, 2018, 03:34:12 pm »
Tuning in :smile:
Neill

Offline Oldbeavo

• Queen Bee
« Reply #23 on: July 31, 2018, 06:51:44 pm »
The Beetle Jail recipe is not exact, about 2 desert spoons of pollen, 1 desert spoon honey and about 1/2 teaspoon vegemite (yeast extract).
Add water to make into a paste. The lure is then used in the Beetle jail in the hive. We only run the Beetle jails in hives that have a lot of beetles, if you see 5-6 when you lift the lid then the hive will get a Beetle jail.
I don't know if it would lure free flying beetles to somewhere else other than a hive?

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #24 on: July 31, 2018, 10:31:28 pm »
The Beetle Jail recipe is not exact, about 2 desert spoons of pollen, 1 desert spoon honey and about 1/2 teaspoon vegemite (yeast extract).
Add water to make into a paste. The lure is then used in the Beetle jail in the hive. We only run the Beetle jails in hives that have a lot of beetles, if you see 5-6 when you lift the lid then the hive will get a Beetle jail.
I don't know if it would lure free flying beetles to somewhere else other than a hive?

Thanks Oldbeavo, this must be some good stuff being you caught 180 beetles in that short period. What I have in mind is setting up a dummy hive or two or three around the perimeter of my bees and would like to "wipe the beetles out before they find a hive they would like to slime. This lure that you have described just might do it along with the (oil treatment) that Jim and paus has described. What I am thinking would help even more would be a distress pheromone. I have heard or read that a freshly queenless hive will put out this pheromone and the beetles will (come a running) so to speak.  Is this accurate?   Again thanks Oldbeavo for sharing this valuable information as I greatly appreciate it. Thanks, Phillip Hall "Ben Framed"
« Last Edit: July 31, 2018, 10:51:00 pm by Ben Framed »

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #25 on: August 01, 2018, 03:48:38 pm »
Nematodes.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline ed/La.

• House Bee
« Reply #26 on: August 02, 2018, 06:36:56 pm »
The best HB attractant I  found is bee bread / pollen. I had some broken comb from a cut out full of it and while open feeding to bees I observed how well it attracts HB.  I mixed some with boric acid and made cage #8 hardware cloth to keep bees away from it. I believe it worked. I have very few beetles and I  live in deep south. I  put some beetle traps with oil and I have caught 0.

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #27 on: August 03, 2018, 12:17:09 am »
The best HB attractant I  found is bee bread / pollen. I had some broken comb from a cut out full of it and while open feeding to bees I observed how well it attracts HB.  I mixed some with boric acid and made cage #8 hardware cloth to keep bees away from it. I believe it worked. I have very few beetles and I  live in deep south. I  put some beetle traps with oil and I have caught 0.

Thanks ed/La. Sounds good! I really appreciate your reply and I'm glad this worked for you!  Will you mind describing how you made the trap with the  #8, what shape and size and how and where you placed it?  Did you use more than one of these traps?  I thank you sir,
Sincerely, Phillip

Offline kanga

• House Bee
« Reply #28 on: August 03, 2018, 05:18:41 am »
The below link provides some information re results of research being done in Australia into the SHB.

https://www.goodfruitandvegetables.com.au/story/4421325/research-targets-small-hive-beetle/

Kev

Offline ed/La.

• House Bee
« Reply #29 on: August 03, 2018, 11:53:40 am »
I made the trap with what I had laying around. I bent the hardware cloth in the shape of peice of wood. Secured bait to middle of wood with small piece of hardware cloth and staples. Then fitted the shaped hardware cloth over the piece of wood so bees could not get at bait. Any trap that prevents bees from accessing will work. The CD case trap should work good.  I did try it in the hive but do not know if that is allowed. I removed and have outside of hives. Use your imagination and you can come up with a better trap. I have some ideas that I  will try if the beetles become a problem. I would like the bait outside the hive with small tube for beetles to access. Small hole in hive at strategic point with access tube sticking in. Something easy, fast to make and dark inside trap.

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #30 on: August 03, 2018, 06:22:11 pm »
The below link provides some information re results of research being done in Australia into the SHB.

https://www.goodfruitandvegetables.com.au/story/4421325/research-targets-small-hive-beetle/

Kev

Thanks kanga, interesting report and information. The article also said that the results will
 Be Released in 2017. I searched further but I didn't find the results. I must have missed it? Thank you for your input Sir! Sincerely, Phillip

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #31 on: August 03, 2018, 06:31:32 pm »
I made the trap with what I had laying around. I bent the hardware cloth in the shape of peice of wood. Secured bait to middle of wood with small piece of hardware cloth and staples. Then fitted the shaped hardware cloth over the piece of wood so bees could not get at bait. Any trap that prevents bees from accessing will work. The CD case trap should work good.  I did try it in the hive but do not know if that is allowed. I removed and have outside of hives. Use your imagination and you can come up with a better trap. I have some ideas that I  will try if the beetles become a problem. I would like the bait outside the hive with small tube for beetles to access. Small hole in hive at strategic point with access tube sticking in. Something easy, fast to make and dark inside trap.

Good job ed/La! Sir it looks as have nailed it with simple scraps!!  I have also thought of making a simplentrap of a wife core and a cone similar to a trap out cone but with this set up inside of a number 8 outside core so Bees won't be allowed access to the bate screened trap inside core. Load it with all the things that beetles love and wam! But your set up sounds much more simple and plenty effective! Thank you for sharing your results! Much appreciated Sir. Sincerely Phillip Hall

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #32 on: August 03, 2018, 07:41:12 pm »
Bee sure not to put the traps in your hive. The beetles crawl into the trap get the poison on them and then crawl all over the hive until they die. By that time you hive is contaminated. If you cannot eat the bate, do not put it in the hive because you will bee eating it.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #33 on: August 03, 2018, 07:50:38 pm »
Bee sure not to put the traps in your hive. The beetles crawl into the trap get the poison on them and then crawl all over the hive until they die. By that time you hive is contaminated. If you cannot eat the bate, do not put it in the hive because you will bee eating it.
Jim

Good advise Jim, that's why I had a dummy hive in mind, maybe two or three. There have been some good thoughts here from our members and hopefully more yet to come..  Thanks, Phillip . 

Offline ed/La.

• House Bee
« Reply #34 on: August 03, 2018, 10:21:31 pm »
My results are not conclusive that it works well. There is less hive beetles (knock on wood) then every other year. Hard to tell for sure at this point.

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #35 on: August 04, 2018, 08:08:09 am »
I found this article from the University of Louisana. The fifth paragraph is interesting.

Small Hive Beetles - LSU AgCenter
LSU AgCenter ? anr ? entomology ? sma...

The odors of decaying or fermenting hive products (vinegar, pollen and honey) are extremely attractive to SHB. Some trapping has been done with an external trap using a bait made of pollen dough conditioned by allowing male SHB to feed on it for three days. Small hive beetles bring in yeast that grows on the pollen and as it ferments it releases compounds that mimic honey bee alarm pheromones. This chemical signal is highly attractive to other bees. Experimentation will continue until the perfect aggregating pheromone is isolated and commercialized. Managing for strong, healthy colonies and practicing good sanitation will be our best defense against small hive beetles until then.

Offline MikeCinWV

• New Bee
« Reply #36 on: August 05, 2018, 01:15:48 pm »
Ben, while looking, find it for rats, mice, and roaches. You will then be a trillionaire.

Don't forget ticks and mosquitoes!

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #37 on: August 05, 2018, 04:10:34 pm »
Ben, while looking, find it for rats, mice, and roaches. You will then be a trillionaire.

Don't forget ticks and mosquitoes!

Chickens can destroy a tick sanctuary, but I don't know what to do about the pesky mosquitoes except scratch j/k lol !!  Thanks MikeCinWV for posting .
Phillip

anything