Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Waterproof labels  (Read 1996 times)

Offline SouthAussieBeekeeper

• House Bee
Waterproof labels
« on: July 25, 2018, 11:21:58 pm »
It's commonly recommended to put a container of crystallised honey in warm water to liquidise it. This can ruin the label in the process and leave a feeling of poor quality.

Some companies that sell white vinyl stickers have suggested that their labels are waterproof and are therefore suitable for this; however, no company seems to able to provide any sort of professional reassurance or recommendation as to whether their labels are suitable for this.

Are there any type of label that one can submerge in warm water, and the label not be ruined by doing so?

Offline sc-bee

• Super Bee
Re: Waterproof labels
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2018, 01:20:45 am »
My understanding through word of mouth is the weather proof label at online labels will stand up to water. I just ordered some but have not tried a water bath yet. I will douse a few and let you know...
John 3:16

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2018, 08:09:32 am »
I use vinyl labels from Betterbee.  One time I had the printing in black letters and another time I had them printed in white.  Both are water proof but only the black printing survived the dishwasher.
The simplest way to liquefy honey in my area is to place the honey in the sunshine for a day or two.  Comes out unbelievably clear.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Offline Oldbeavo

• Queen Bee
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2018, 08:26:19 pm »
Don't bother with waterproof labels, too costly.
If your are retailing honey or a volume then:
Make a warming container with an old freezer (good insulation) and an oil column heater that has a thermostat. Set the heater to run at 38-40C. Get a good thermometer, any error will ruin the honey if it gets too hot.
Place your candied honey in and wait, 24-48 hrs and your have your honey back.

Offline sc-bee

• Super Bee
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2018, 08:39:53 pm »
Don't bother with waterproof labels, too costly.
If your are retailing honey or a volume then:
Make a warming container with an old freezer (good insulation) and an oil column heater that has a thermostat. Set the heater to run at 38-40C. Get a good thermometer, any error will ruin the honey if it gets too hot.
Place your candied honey in and wait, 24-48 hrs and your have your honey back.

Not sure what you call costly? Waterproof labels online.com 2x2- 500 labels are .15 each and 1000 are .11 each 2000 are .08 each. I certainly can't buy a quality label already printed for that.....or can I? If I can point me please....

• House Bee
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2018, 08:46:05 pm »
I've been quoted for 1000 white vinyl stickers, they're deemed waterproof though they can't seem to elaborate much in what this means, for around ten cents AUD, more or less depending on size of label. This is for full coloured printed.

Offline sc-bee

• Super Bee
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2018, 09:30:58 pm »
I've been quoted for 1000 white vinyl stickers, they're deemed waterproof though they can't seem to elaborate much in what this means, for around ten cents AUD, more or less depending on size of label. This is for full coloured printed.

Of course looking at the company I was looking at shipping to you would blow it out the water.........

• House Bee
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2018, 11:01:31 pm »
I'm not sure what you mean by blowing out of the water, but the around 0.1 aud each was with tax and shipping costs factored in.

Offline Oldbeavo

• Queen Bee
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2018, 01:19:41 am »
Why use hot water to uncandy honey? Messy and you have to maintain the temp. How much do you uncandy at any one time?
Our labels  are 2 cents and printed on a standard home printer. We label each variety of honey we sell and by law in our municipality must have a Batch code to trace back where the honey came from, so pre-printed would not work.

Offline sc-bee

• Super Bee
« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2018, 05:10:30 am »
I'm not sure what you mean by blowing out of the water, but the around 0.1 aud each was with tax and shipping costs factored in.

I was looking at US to Australia shipping.... maybe you are also?

• House Bee
« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2018, 08:02:05 am »
People will put the container in the sink to decrystalise regardless of what method is best. How did you get it down to two cents a label? Is that ink factored in as well? What do you buy? A separate tag can be added to say batch number.

No I was looking at Australian companies only.

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2018, 08:32:31 am »
We label each variety of honey we sell and by law in our municipality must have a Batch code to trace back where the honey came from, so pre-printed would not work.
The label printing business would not exist if this were true.
In this country a standard printer uses water base ink.  High humidity will make them bleed.  If it is one thing I would suggest to anyone selling a product is that you don't make home made labels.
There are so many ways to handle lot codes including hand writing.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Offline Beepah

• New Bee
« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2018, 10:17:17 pm »
The label company Avery has a line called "UltraDuty GHS Chemical Labels" that are very pricey (~$0.50 US per unprinted label) for your application, however they provide the technical data you want: "Waterproof: 90-day sea water submersion adhesion test -- Passes BS5609 Section 2"