Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: How long to fill a deep and medium box? NJ USA  (Read 920 times)

Offline katcat

• Brood
How long to fill a deep and medium box? NJ USA
« on: July 16, 2018, 04:56:21 pm »
Hello bee friends,

I installed a hive package of Carolinians on May 19th this year. The 10 frame deep box is mostly filled, about four healthy looking brood frames, and the 2 fringe frames in the deep (on either side) are mostly empty, but with a little honey comb on each. The remaining 4 have mostly capped honey. I added a medium on top about three weeks ago because they had filled out 6 frames in the deep and were attempting to build upwards. Upon inspection today, I saw they had really done anything in the top box. It's July 15, so is their progress (filling 8 frames of a deep box) satisfactory? Should I be feeding them more? I was feeding them sugar water until July 1st, and since then I've just left plain water in their feeder, because I don't have a nearby water source otherwise.

Thanks for any input! I'm hoping to fill at least a medium+most a super before the winter, which will most likely arrive late October. Any thoughts? I appreciate it!

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
Re: How long to fill a deep and medium box? NJ USA
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2018, 05:35:50 pm »
I would move deep frames 1 and 10 in one space and replace with frames 2 and 9.
Then I would feed until medium was mostly drawn and filled.
Remove excluder if one is being used, until they have drawn a few medium frames.
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

anything