Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Getting Ready for Next Year's Expansion  (Read 1967 times)

Offline bwallace23350

• Super Bee
Getting Ready for Next Year's Expansion
« on: July 14, 2018, 11:07:02 am »
So on the 31st of this month I close on my new spread in the country. It is only 4.6 acres but it is a house pretty much in pure pasture land and a bit of planted pines and small trees on one side. I probably have 4 acres of just pasture land. I want to have at least one or two hives out at my place. The land will be a huge boom during the spring and then probably a bust after that but perhaps some of the houses around plant things they will like. My goal is to plant trees for a big spring build up and then some for the bust part of the year. I was thinking about ten red maples and some hollies around the house. I am also going to plant chestnut, walnut, and pecan trees for my own eating purposes in the future. Perhaps 3-4 of each of them. What would be a good tree or shrub to plant in a decent number that looks good and blooms in mid June and July? I have not been out there much in the spring to see the state of the pollinators but the lady who I am buying to place from did not like flower gardens or beds so I also have all shrubs I could want to plant around the house. I am thinking of making a raised bed or rows of it and planting lavender also.

Offline Dallasbeek

• Super Bee
Re: Getting Ready for Next Year's Expansion
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2018, 04:11:22 pm »
Remember that bees will travel out at least a couple of miles to forage.  What you plant on 4 acres will have little effect on your bees.  That being said, good luck with being a country gentleman.
"Liberty lives in the hearts of men and women; when it dies there, no constitution, no laws, no court can save it." - Judge Learned Hand, 1944

Van, Arkansas, USA

« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2018, 06:20:42 pm »
Wallace, if you plant pecans, the little man will enjoy your efforts when he is grown.  A slow growing tree but well worth the effort for future generations to come.  Peach trees, black berries are big in your area and don?t forget the Dogwood.  The bees will be all over the peach tree blossoms as well as the black berries.  Have fun.
Blessings

Offline Dallasbeek

• Super Bee
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2018, 06:54:49 pm »
A good variety of pecan should start producing nuts in four or five years and reach full production in 9 or 10 years.  Consult your count agent for a recommendation of a good variety in your area.
"Liberty lives in the hearts of men and women; when it dies there, no constitution, no laws, no court can save it." - Judge Learned Hand, 1944

Offline bwallace23350

• Super Bee
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2018, 07:18:52 pm »
Thanks for the recommendations. I am going to check up on the variety of pecans. I am only 33 so even if it took 20 years I should get some actions out of the trees.

Offline LizzieBee

• House Bee
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2018, 07:35:05 pm »
Chinese Tallows are really good trees for honey and pollen production and mine are blooming for the second time since June. They are considered very invasive in some states though. They grow quickly, and are hard to kill.

Lizzie

Van, Arkansas, USA

« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2018, 07:55:54 pm »
Moved thread.

Offline gunswayne

• New Bee
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2018, 10:39:49 pm »
The crepe myrtles and the mesquite are blooming here in southeast Texas right now but the big one is cotton. Also the ash trees are doing their thing but I?m not sure they are a good pollinator.

Offline Sledin

• New Bee
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2018, 09:49:43 am »
So your acreage is in the middle of a bunch of farmers pasture land, or your acreage is just open field?

If the neighbouring properties are uncultivated farm land I'd plant wild flowers on my land and hope it would spread to the pastures clovers would be prime.

You might start with your two hives then find there is more nectar than you thought.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Sputnik

• House Bee
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2018, 11:18:53 am »
My peach tree is 8 years old. It sprouted in the compost. This is the 3rd year for fruit. I have been picking for a week now. It still has hundreds of peaches on it. We have been eating peaches, peach cobbler, home made peach ice cream, and making peach preserves. Fruit and nut trees are very worthwhile.

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2018, 01:21:43 pm »
The crepe myrtles and the mesquite are blooming here in southeast Texas right now but the big one is cotton. Also the ash trees are doing their thing but I?m not sure they are a good pollinator.
Crape Myrtles have no nectaries. They do not provide any nectar.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline beepro

• Field Bee
« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2018, 03:54:54 am »
Paulownia Princess/Empress trees.

I've seen the purple/blue flowers but have not yet grow them.  This is declared the world fastest growing tree. 
It will help the bees through your summer dearth.

I have peach trees all over my backyard.  In early Spring they are competing with the wild mustard blooms.  Not that many
bees are on the peach flowers.  They all went to the wild mustard patch out there in the open fields at the same time when the
peach trees are blooming.   Under irrigation you can grow the wild mustard all year long.   

Offline Beeboy01

• Field Bee
  • Oh Look A Honey Bee !!!
« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2018, 04:52:30 pm »
My neighbor planted about a 1/2 acre of sunflowers this year and it gave me a nice boost in honey production. Just a thought, try some sunflowers.

Offline beepro

• Field Bee
« Reply #13 on: July 17, 2018, 11:27:34 pm »
There are some sunflower species that do not produce pollen.   So choose your
variety wisely.