Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: More Re-queening advice?  (Read 992 times)

Offline Aroc

• House Bee
More Re-queening advice?
« on: June 30, 2018, 11:22:52 pm »
In my never ending saga to get all hives with a queen.  I think I am down to one. 

Here?s my plan.  I have a hive that for some reason is very aggressive toward a caged queen.  I decided to create a nuc with a extra drawn out frames and honey.  I then shook out some bees from the queenless hive into the nuc.  I put a frame of brood with eggs, larvae and capped brood in the nuc from another hive.  We then put the caged queen in there.  Looks a bit better.  Should know in a couple of days if they accepted her.

So now we still have a hive with no queen.  I put the nuc right behind the queenless hive and rotated the entrance so only air could pass.  My thoughts are to shake the queenless hive out and put the nuc where the queenless hive was...thinking that as the bees from the queenless hive go back to their home,  they will find the nuc with an egg laying queen.

My wife thinks the bees from the queenless hive will come back and kill the egg laying queen.

????
You are what you think.

Offline beepro

• Field Bee
Re: More Re-queening advice?
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2018, 04:35:04 am »
You wife is correct this time.  I've tried your method in my 3rd years with an aggressive hive killing 2 laying queens in the process.   
With gentle bees your method will work but with aggressive bees they will kill the laying queen.   If you still have time then break down the large hive and gradually introduce the frame of bees over time into the queen right nuc hive.   Put in one frame first then gradually increase as the nuc hive increase in number.   This is a slow process that will work over time.   

Monitor the queen situation after you added the frame of foreign bees.  Wait a few days for them to be assimilated into the nuc hive.   Hopefully they won't kill the laying queen.[/b]

Offline Oldbeavo

• Queen Bee
Re: More Re-queening advice?
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2018, 06:55:13 am »
Leave the queenless hive queenless for a while, make sure they don't make queen cells. If so knock them off.
Once a hive has been queenlees for a while they tend to accept a new queen from a nuc,. especially if papered between boxes to get them use to her smell