Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Is my hive going to swarm? Help!  (Read 3685 times)

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
Re: Is my hive going to swarm? Help!
« Reply #20 on: June 27, 2018, 07:22:23 pm »
Lizzie,
I have bottom and top entrances on all of my hives. The field bees will not switch to the new entrance but the next brood that hatches may. If the top super is empty they probably will not use it.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline sc-bee

• Super Bee
« Reply #21 on: June 27, 2018, 10:40:22 pm »
Ace, in that case, I can do the powder sugar treatment next time? I never plan on using pesticides, not even on the property. My neighbors occasionally use roundup though.

Lizzie

Quote per Randy Oliver .... powder sugar treatments just delay the inevitable. Lizzie I know you are new so here is a website to ponder  :wink: The most comprehensive site you will find on varroa....at least to my knowledge...

http://scientificbeekeeping.com/
John 3:16

Offline beepro

• Field Bee
« Reply #22 on: June 28, 2018, 02:39:34 am »
Majority of the mites at this time are on the drone broods.  The drones will carry them to
spread around other hives because drones have a free pass to all hives.

Even though our flow is on now, I already took out the cap broods 2 times, drones included, to other
nuc hives to make mating nucs for the coming new queens.   Then put in a frame with half-broods to
capture the remaining free running mites from this hive.    Later on I will make it queen right again.   

If we don't have a method to remove the mites then in August they will over run the hive.   This is how I do
it without any form of chemical or sugar treatment.    Just removed the mites!

Offline LizzieBee

• House Bee
« Reply #23 on: July 01, 2018, 06:22:05 pm »
On one side of a frame in the honey super the bees have completely drawn it out but are not filling it with honey. I'm assuming when the bees go through the lower main entrance that they just fill the cells down there with nectar. There is a heavy nectar flow. If I block the lower entrance so they begin to use the upper entrance to (hopefully) fill the super cells, how long should it be blocked? I've seen a drone fly through the upper entrance once, but no workers. There are usually two bees standing outside the upper entrance.

Lizzie

Offline moebees

• House Bee
« Reply #24 on: July 01, 2018, 07:18:11 pm »
On one side of a frame in the honey super the bees have completely drawn it out but are not filling it with honey. I'm assuming when the bees go through the lower main entrance that they just fill the cells down there with nectar. There is a heavy nectar flow. If I block the lower entrance so they begin to use the upper entrance to (hopefully) fill the super cells, how long should it be blocked? I've seen a drone fly through the upper entrance once, but no workers. There are usually two bees standing outside the upper entrance.

Lizzie

Field bees pass nectar to house bees so I don't know that it makes a difference what entrance they go in.
Bee-keeping is like raising Martians  - Isabella Rosselini

anything