BEEKEEPING LEARNING CENTER > GENERAL BEEKEEPING - MAIN POSTING FORUM.

Fertil queen+virgin queen = ?

(1/3) > >>

2Sox:
I have two hives that I have doubts have queens. (Just introduced a week ago, not in the cages.). No eggs yet.  May be too early.  However, I'm thinking of putting a couple of ripe queens cells into them for insurance. If there are fertile queens present, what happens to the virgins when they emerge?

Van, Arkansas, USA:
Sox, if there is a queen in the hive, you queen cells will be destroyed.  At least a hole in the side of the queen cell will be made and the maturing queen will be killed.
Blessings

2Sox:

--- Quote from: Van, Arkansas, USA on June 20, 2018, 07:22:34 pm ---Sox, if there is a queen in the hive, you queen cells will be destroyed.  At least a hole in the side of the queen cell will be made and the maturing queen will be killed.
Blessings

--- End quote ---

I'm not sure this is correct.  Doesn't it happen that when a hive is preparing to swarm, there are many swarm cells being made - while the queen is still there doing her job?  And the virgins fight it out?  Not virgin and Fertile queen. 

My question is IF a colony is not in swarm mode, and there is a virgin present, what happens to the virgin while the Fertile queen is there?

2Sox:

--- Quote from: 2Sox on June 20, 2018, 07:25:50 pm ---
--- Quote from: Van, Arkansas, USA on June 20, 2018, 07:22:34 pm ---Sox, if there is a queen in the hive, you queen cells will be destroyed.  At least a hole in the side of the queen cell will be made and the maturing queen will be killed.
Blessings

--- End quote ---

I'm not sure this is correct.  Doesn't it happen that when a hive is preparing to swarm, there are many swarm cells being made - while the queen is still there doing her job?  And the virgins fight it out?  Not virgin and Fertile queen. 

My question is IF a colony is not in swarm mode, and there is a virgin present, what happens to the virgin while the Fertile queen is there?

--- End quote ---

Sending this out

BeeMaster2:
Hives supersede all the time. When this happens, most of the time you end up with a mother daughter pair laying eggs side by side. Eventually the mother queen will disappear.
Jim

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version