Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: If Drones are visiting the hive. . .  (Read 1180 times)

Offline DuaneB

• New Bee
If Drones are visiting the hive. . .
« on: June 17, 2018, 07:27:51 pm »
  I have a hive, that upon inspection yesterday, didn't show signs of a queen.  Today, I observed Drones flying in  and out of the hive.  Would that indicate the presence of a queen? 

Thanks

Offline Aroc

• House Bee
Re: If Drones are visiting the hive. . .
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2018, 08:22:58 pm »
Not necessarily.  The drones flying in and out are in all likelihood drones that emerged from that hive and are simply doing what drones do.

The only way you can really tell if you are queenless or not is to check inside and see for yourself.  If you can?t see her at least look for eggs.

It?s really hard to tell what is going on inside a hive simply by observations made outside.
You are what you think.

Offline beepro

• Field Bee
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2018, 02:44:43 am »
Drones will not indicate a queen right hive.  The only way to make sure is to do a hive
check to find her.  Hopefully she is there if not give it a new mated queen.

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2018, 08:27:29 am »
During Beefest 2018 we inspected a top bar hive that, at first looked like it was swarming when we walked up to it. Then we realized that they were not workers but drones. Apparently there was a drone congratulation area real close by and the drones decided to use this hive instead of flying all the way back to their hives.
By the way we did find the queen but she had nothing to do with the drones. They just wanted to bee fed.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Online Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2018, 12:29:17 pm »
>Would that indicate the presence of a queen? 

It means you have drones... If a lot of drones are hanging out in one hive and not in other hives, I would look for evidence of a queen.  Drones are tolerated more in queenless colonies.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline DuaneB

• New Bee
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2018, 05:44:21 pm »
Thanks for all he info.

I'll be looking into the, seemingly, queenless hive this weekend.  If there is evidence of a queen, great.  If not, I'll move a frame of eggs over from the other hive that is doing very well.  May have to split that one soon.

anything