Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Bees bearding and ?licking? the hive  (Read 2834 times)

Offline LizzieBee

• House Bee
Bees bearding and ?licking? the hive
« on: June 13, 2018, 08:57:44 pm »
There are a bunch of worker bees standing with their heads down on the front of the lower brood box. I assumed this is bearding but it looks like they are also licking the hive. Is that normal?

Lizzie

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
Re: Bees bearding and ?licking? the hive
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2018, 10:11:26 pm »
It is called washboarding It is normal. This is bearding.....

"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline LizzieBee

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2018, 10:58:09 pm »
Thanks! They do it every afternoon and through the evening.

Lizzie

Offline MikeyN.C.

• Field Bee
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2018, 02:29:14 pm »
That driveway looks familiar.  :cool:

Offline The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Traveler of the Multiverse, Seeker of Knowledge
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2018, 02:37:23 pm »
My one hive has been washboarding almost constantly for the past few weeks.  I love watching them do it, I think it's a riot.  No one's entirely sure why the bees do this behavior, so it's also a fascinating reminder of just how much we still don't know about them.     
I come from under the hill, and under the hills and over the hills my paths led.  And through the air, I am she that walks unseen.

Offline beepro

• Field Bee
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2018, 07:36:58 pm »
They should be out foraging not cleaning up the hive.   Planting plenty of bee plants near your hives will avoid this situation.

Offline Cappy

• New Bee
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2018, 02:45:49 pm »
I agree with 15th Member; it is fascinating. We have so much yet to learn about the honeybee. I have not seen washboarding on the outside of my hives. But I put windows on the brood chambers and I see them almost every evening doing the same looking washboarding activity on the outside ends of the frames. Odd and cute at the same time.

Offline Hops Brewster

• Field Bee
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2018, 09:06:49 pm »
My washboarding hypothesis;

They are applying moisture to the outside of the hive to aid in evaporative cooling.

that, or they simply can't tolerate all the muddy hoof-prints the foragers leave on the wall of their boxes.
Winter is coming.

I can't say I hate the government, but I am proudly distrustful of them.

Offline The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Traveler of the Multiverse, Seeker of Knowledge
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2018, 02:32:22 pm »
I agree with 15th Member; it is fascinating. We have so much yet to learn about the honeybee. I have not seen washboarding on the outside of my hives. But I put windows on the brood chambers and I see them almost every evening doing the same looking washboarding activity on the outside ends of the frames. Odd and cute at the same time.
You have windows on your brood boxes?!  That sounds so cool!  How did you install them?  What material did you use? 

They are applying moisture to the outside of the hive to aid in evaporative cooling.

that, or they simply can't tolerate all the muddy hoof-prints the foragers leave on the wall of their boxes.
Ok, I love the phrase "bee hooves", fantastic concept.   :grin:  Hey, that evaporation idea is interesting.  My girls did start washboarding about the same time they started fanning.       
I come from under the hill, and under the hills and over the hills my paths led.  And through the air, I am she that walks unseen.

Offline MikeyN.C.

• Field Bee
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2018, 06:52:21 pm »
My bees beard up 2 - ten deeps, the only bees fanning are on landing board. I thought the bees that are bearding above landing board were forage bees in a dearth and are just moving out of hive to regulated temps.  Then go in late night or early morning?

Van, Arkansas, USA

« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2018, 07:28:49 pm »

Hops, that is as good a guess as any I ever heard regarding washboarding.  Courious just in the front of the hive, very few bees on the side.  I am fairly sure the bees are not cleaning and my bees go back into the hive as as the temps drops with darkness approaching.  By morning almost all bees are in the hive.  The honey is capped so in my opinion the washboarding is not related to Honey.  In N Arkansas we are in a severe dearth, not a flower for miles, so I my opinion is washboarding is not related to nectar or pollen, there is none.

So again Hops your hypothesis is number 1.  One of us should place a block of ice on top of the hive and determine the washboarding effect, if any.  Your younger, you do it.  Lol

Van, Arkansas, USA

« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2018, 07:58:44 pm »
Washboarding:  I have one of those lazer thermometer that takes surface temp, actually the lazer just indicates the spot, just a pointer.

So I checked the temps of the front of 5 hives:  washboarding was one degree cooler. Conditions, sunny 98F, calm, 41 percent humidity, shaded hives.

The hive entrances were 99F, hanging clusters were 100F, the top super was 103. One hive is vented in the top back with a 1.5 inches hole that is screened.  This hive was same temp as the unvented hives.  I dunno??

Offline herbhome

• Field Bee
« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2018, 10:59:14 pm »
I always thought it was busy work to get the kids out from under foot. Kinda like rock stacking. :smile:
Neill

Offline Hops Brewster

• Field Bee
« Reply #13 on: July 15, 2018, 04:35:09 pm »
I always thought it was busy work to get the kids out from under foot. Kinda like rock stacking. :smile:

Yeah, I like that idea, too!   BRATS! Get out of the kitchen!
Winter is coming.

I can't say I hate the government, but I am proudly distrustful of them.

Offline Dabbler

• House Bee
« Reply #14 on: July 16, 2018, 08:13:14 am »
Washboarding:  I have one of those lazer thermometer that takes surface temp, actually the lazer just indicates the spot, just a pointer.

Could you get the bees to chase the laser spot like a cat?   :wink:
Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the tests first, the lessons afterwards .
-Vernon Sanders Law