Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Keeping ants out  (Read 5123 times)

Offline VermontHoneyBee

• House Bee
Keeping ants out
« on: June 07, 2018, 11:38:35 am »
Hi

I am having a bit of a challenge with ants entering my hives.  I thought that the bees would chase them out but they do not.  I also thought that they would impact the hive and my hives are doing ok but the number of ants is increasing per day.  I thought of using sticky tape in the inner cover because they are going after the sugar syrup.  I can put the tapes in a way that they would have to cross it but not the bees.

Is there any recommendations on what glue tape to use?

Offline LizzieBee

• House Bee
Re: Keeping ants out
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2018, 12:07:11 pm »
I had a minor problem with ants a month ago. A local beek I know used this stuff called tanglefoot, it?s a weird goo that he smears on the legs of the hive stand. The ants get stuck in it... but so do the bees. I don?t use that. There was a tiny ant hill under my beehive and I would see a few going into the hive between the brood boxes. I poured boiling water into a pitcher and sprinkled half a teaspoon of cinnamon in the water a mixed it. Then I poured it around the hive stand and in the ant hole. Ouch. Well now I don?t have ant problems.

Another choice is the ant mote, which I think is one of the best ideas.
Lizzie

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2018, 05:45:30 pm »
Take your used coffee grounds and spread them around the hive base to create a barrier. Ants hate it. I built stands with upside down facing cups but the grass grows so fast that it is not working. I should have put black ground cloth to stop the grass but I doubt if that would work.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline DuaneB

• New Bee
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2018, 06:16:39 pm »
Like most setup, I have my hives on (2) 4"x4"s, suspended between cinder blocks.  I had the same problem with ants getting into the syrup as well.  Went to Walmart and purchased 4 non-stick cake pans for $3.48/ea.  Cut some 4" risers out of an old 4x4 I had lying around.  Put the risers on the cinder blocks; put the cake pans (up-side down) on the risers; then set the 4x4s and hives back on.  Ants fall off when they try to crawl on the non-stick surface.  Problem solved. 

I don't drink coffee, but I like the idea.

Offline beepro

• Field Bee
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2018, 01:12:08 am »
Simple!

I use canning jars filled 1/4 way with vegetable oil.  Put the 4 hive stand legs inside these jars.  On the upper part of the legs wrap the aluminum duct tapes around one piece of heavy duty AL foil over hanging the jars but not touching it. This way rain water cannot get in to fill up the jars.  I don't know how much pressure a canning jar can withstand.  So far I have 5 nucs, including the 5 level nucs, sitting on this stand.  No ants issue so far this season.

Offline VermontHoneyBee

• House Bee
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2018, 09:45:13 pm »
The ants are gone.  A good dose of DA and tanglefoot did the trick.

Thanks

Offline beepro

• Field Bee
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2018, 02:47:52 am »
They are gone now but after the rains they will be back bothering your
bees again.   Some ants are so smart that they hauled the debris to cover the
tanglefoot to get to the other side.   After a while the tanglefoot got covered with
dust and not work anymore.    The long term solution is to use oil and aluminum foil on
the legs of the hive stand.   High-temp grease doesn't work either as I've tried that before.

Offline Sputnik

• House Bee
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2018, 08:25:14 am »
I will give the coffee grounds a try. I had a nest of carpenter ants try to move in between the inner cover and lid on one of my hives. Took a week of tearing there nest out daily but they are no w gone. A friend of mine had a hive leave due to ant infestation.

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2018, 08:30:56 am »
When I find a nest of ants in the hive, top or bottom, I close it back up and get a vacuum. Then open it and suck them up real fast. It works the first time as compared to using my hand to kill the scrambling ants. I use a shop vac when power is available and a battery powered hand vacuum when it is not.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2018, 08:45:39 am »
Stop feeding the ants sugar water and let the bees have access to the area the ants are taking over.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Offline VermontHoneyBee

• House Bee
« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2018, 02:50:56 pm »
Stop feeding the ants sugar water and let the bees have access to the area the ants are taking over.

The ants are gone.  Using tanglewood and DE got rid of all of them.  Not a single ant in site.

I need to feed the hives.  I am encouraging them to draw comb.  This is my first year and I have zero drawn comb.

Thanks

Van, Arkansas, USA

« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2018, 06:07:32 pm »
Vermont, question,,, what is {DA} the stuff you used to rid ants??

AGREED, Using sugar solution is the best means I know of to get the bees to wax out frames.
Blessings

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2018, 06:36:52 pm »
This is my first year and I have zero drawn comb.
And you are very impatient.  It will bite you in the butt.  Vermont is a haven for bees.  Why do you think Michel Palmer does so well?
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Offline VermontHoneyBee

• House Bee
« Reply #13 on: June 10, 2018, 06:45:10 pm »

And you are very impatient.  It will bite you in the butt.  Vermont is a haven for bees.  Why do you think Michel Palmer does so well?

Hi.  Not to sound defensive but you don't know me to render an opinion on me being inpatient or not.  I am actually following his methodology but you perhaps don't know that.  How would you?.  You did not ask me.

I don't understand why some older folks on this board come swinging the way you do.  Asking before rendering an opinion may deliver your message in a better way, as opposed to condescending.  Oh yes, Mike Palmer and Randy Oliver are in sync on this.  I actually communicated with Randy and he has a study on feeding for comb production.  The only right thing you said was "Vermont is a heaven for bees"

Offline VermontHoneyBee

• House Bee
« Reply #14 on: June 10, 2018, 06:50:46 pm »
Vermont, question,,, what is {DA} the stuff you used to rid ants??

AGREED, Using sugar solution is the best means I know of to get the bees to wax out frames.
Blessings

Hi.  Diatomaceous earth.  I put it on the legs of the stand.  My stand holds all 6 hives.  The problem with DE is that if it rains you have to apply again.  Diatomaceous earth is made from the fossilized remains of tiny, aquatic organisms called diatoms.  They are so tiny that they cling to the ants and pierce their skeletons causing them to lose their water.  They also carry it to their nest and share with their friends.  The DA was effective only to slow them down and had to be replaced often.  The tanglefoot was effective 100% in 24 hours.  I know I will need to apply more but this is only while I build comb.  Once I am done building comb, I suspect I will no longer need it since I will not be feeding the bees until the fall (only if they need it)

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #15 on: June 10, 2018, 06:54:36 pm »
Is Mike Palmer feeding bees now?  Randy is in the west.  He could be doing anything.  Does Mike have an ant problem?  Never heard of Mike having an ant problem.  Please, if you are following him show me a post where he is having an ant problem.  I don't believe it exist in VT.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Offline VermontHoneyBee

• House Bee
« Reply #16 on: June 10, 2018, 07:00:50 pm »
He does feed bees, not know.  He does speak about if for drawing comb.  I was not aware that California bees knew what to do with syrup but the ones in Vermont don't.  Do we have ants in Vermont, yes we do.  Lot's of them.

Shall I point you to all the research done on this topic "Feeding sugar to increase comb production"?.  I am assuming that you have it, since you are an experience beekeeper but just choose to ignore it. 

Can we just say that you and I don't agree?.  Does everyone who disagree with you is inpatient?.  Or wrong?.  I have been to many apiaries here, specially the ones that sell hundreds of nucs and they feed.  Shall I tell them that they should stop too?.  They are in VT and one of the largest producers of nucs.  Do they have an ant problem, yes they do.  They must be inpatient also.  I will be sure to send them an email at once.

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #17 on: June 10, 2018, 07:16:57 pm »
You are on your way to be a great beekeeper with such a thin skin.  Ants are everywhere but in the north east they are not a problem for honeybees.  I don't want any newbies up here thinking they are.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Offline VermontHoneyBee

• House Bee
« Reply #18 on: June 10, 2018, 07:32:15 pm »
Now I am thin skin because I called out you condescending approach?.  Don't twist things.  I never said that we have an ant problem in VT.  I give you the facts but you just ignore them.  Mike, Randy and many others, just page up and see my other post, have supported the idea to stimulate comb production.  I am a new beekeeper but one that has done extensive support and is happy to paste it here.  For your reference

http://scientificbeekeeping.com/light-or-heavy-syrup-for-drawing-foundation/

Want to know where I got this link....here.  From another expert who did not fire with statements accusing me of being inpatient or asking me if Mike Palmer does this or not.

New beekeepers should be well informed.  Not be told "You are inpatient".  I am trying to build comb because I have none.  And guess what, I have 6 hives.  One does not get any sugar and 5 do.  The one that is not fed is still on one brood box.  The other have already drawn 8 frames and exploded in bees because those queens are laying everywhere.  The remaining 5 are have 2 brood boxes.  I want the strongest hives I can to survive the winter.  Oh yes, Michael B was the one that pointed me to Randy's research.  His quote was "Yes.  I've observed this for years and recently Randy Oliver experimented and came to the same conclusion.  Stronger syrup has the same effects as weaker syrup.  Either will stimulate comb building.".  He must be wrong too then.

I am not thin skin or inpatient.  What I am is someone who calls out others when poor email etiquette is used.  Your email, sir, was condescending at best and called for an expert who you have no clue if I follow, live right next to, or a new beekeeper who actually does a lot of research.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2018, 11:10:34 pm by VermontHoneyBee »

Offline Cappy

• New Bee
« Reply #19 on: July 06, 2018, 02:12:15 pm »
You are on your way to be a great beekeeper with such a thin skin.  Ants are everywhere but in the north east they are not a problem for honeybees.  I don't want any newbies up here thinking they are.

Acebird, you are a jerk. No need for that puke here. No need to attack and insult people like this. And as for Palmer, he ain't God. Yeah he has said some brilliant stuff. But like most "brilliant" beekeepers I have studied he has said some pretty stupid stuff too. I'll play your game now: Since you praise Palmer so much I will assume you agree with him that the traumatic decline of the Honeybee around the world is to be blamed on the American government for deporting illegal aliens. YES he said that! And at the National Honey Show no less, during one of his hour presentations. Now leave the guy alone for trying to help his bees. Feeding them may not be a perfect solution but it is what we do to help them draw comb. Get over it! You are not helping anyone.

Offline sc-bee

• Super Bee
« Reply #20 on: July 06, 2018, 02:41:04 pm »

There is no need for me to wonder why participation on this forum has dwindled. It is right here in black and white...the forum admins needs to decide whether the forum wants to assist folks including new folks or be a good ole boys clubs..... just saying...
John 3:16

Offline Cappy

• New Bee
« Reply #21 on: July 06, 2018, 06:41:19 pm »

There is no need for me to wonder why participation on this forum has dwindled. It is right here in black and white...the forum admins needs to decide whether the forum wants to assist folks including new folks or be a good ole boys clubs..... just saying...

Amen. And yep, I reported him. But there is a need for "active" admins. That's why I had to go thru the facebook page to get my account activated.

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #22 on: July 06, 2018, 09:31:01 pm »

I don't understand why some older folks on this board come swinging the way you do.  Asking before rendering an opinion may deliver your message in a better way, as opposed to condescending.  Oh yes, Mike Palmer and Randy Oliver are in sync on this.  I actually communicated with Randy and he has a study on feeding for comb production.  The only right thing you said was "Vermont is a heaven for bees"
I am very sorry that I have upset you.  Please accept my apologies.  Sometimes I come on too strong.  Both Mike and Randy are brilliant beekeepers but Mike is in your back yard.  He knows Vermont better than anyone.  I am not part of the good ole boys club.  I have no influence at all on Beemasters.  The participation on this forum has not dwindled in the least.  Certainly not because on my post.  I have not posted on this thread in a month and will not do so in the future.
Again, please accept my apologies.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Offline VermontHoneyBee

• House Bee
« Reply #23 on: July 06, 2018, 10:33:57 pm »
Thank you for the apology. 

Ants are no longer a problem.  I used tanglefoot and coffee grounds both suggestions from this forum.  My goal with feeding was to accelerate drawing of comb which I think I was very successful.

I have 6 hives.  Each was fed starting on May 30th and for 3 weeks.  In three weeks all hives went from a 5 frame nuc to 2 deeps (8 frames) and one medium (8 frames).  By July 4, two of my hives needed honey supers and filled 1 solid 8 frame medium super.  I am adding a super to every hive tomorrow.  It has been hard keeping up with the girls because I really did not expect any honey year one.

Our second nectar flow has not even gotten started.  It is possible that I will end up collecting at least 6 honey supers this year alone.  I also repurposed 3 acres from lawn to wild flowers and it is in full bloom today. 

I don't know if my luck will continue.  I hope so.  My mite count is 1 to 2 per hundred and I am monitoring closely

Thanks

Offline sc-bee

• Super Bee
« Reply #24 on: July 06, 2018, 10:38:45 pm »
I am not part of the good ole boys club.  I have no influence at all on Beemasters.  The participation on this forum has not dwindled in the least.  Certainly not because on my post.  I have not posted on this thread in a month and will not do so in the future.
Again, please accept my apologies.

As far as dwindle I am comparing it too years in past and I don't mean just five years.... yes a lot has changed and times do change things. One reason this site flourished in the beginning was because of the back biting and arrogant attitudes over on that other site. There is no way Beemaster John would put up with the BULL I have seen on here in the past year or so.

Don't get me wrong sawdustmkr (Jim) does a good job but when folks throw out slangs and comments it makes Jim's volunteer job harder and also discourages folks in particular new folks who come here to learn reluctant to participate. I assure you I am an old fart and my thick skin can handle it but THAT AIN"T THE POINT. So as far as posting ACE the decision is YOURS. I personally think you have a lot to add to the page and are a strong member but it is your choice to BEE part of the solution and not a part of the OTHER.

Good Day Brother
« Last Edit: July 07, 2018, 08:35:07 am by sc-bee »

Offline sc-bee

• Super Bee
« Reply #25 on: July 06, 2018, 10:41:34 pm »
Our second nectar flow has not even gotten started.  It is possible that I will end up collecting at least 6 honey supers this year alone.  I also repurposed 3 acres from lawn to wild flowers and it is in full bloom today. 

What did you plant?

Offline VermontHoneyBee

• House Bee
« Reply #26 on: July 06, 2018, 10:48:21 pm »
I bought 15 pounds of Vermont Wild flower from the Vermont Wildflower farm.  They sell a "Pollinator" centric mix designed for bees.  The mix contains many flowers that bloom at different times.  For the past 3 weeks it has been flowering none stop.  The mix is designed to provide self seeding so I should not have to do anything next year.  So far it has worked out great and the best part, not to mention that it looks beautiful and wild, is that I don't have to argue with my son to cut the grass :)

I have learned a lot from this forum.  I do appreciate your comments and totally agree.  This forum should be a safe environment where we share opinions and tactics.  Honestly, I have has several issues and every one was fixed by suggestions found here.  Let's work on making this forum a forum based on mutual respect where ideas are respected and debated.  I think then people will feel safe to post things that may be crazy or completely wrong.  It is all about the approach :)

Offline sc-bee

• Super Bee
« Reply #27 on: July 06, 2018, 11:08:25 pm »
What kind of prep did you have too do and post some pictures... :cool:

Offline VermontHoneyBee

• House Bee
« Reply #28 on: July 06, 2018, 11:13:43 pm »
Before my nucs arrived, I used roundup to kill all the grass.  I ended up having to treat three times but eventually I killed everything.  Two weeks later I used a rototiller just to break up the dead grass and seeded.  That is all I did.  I only had to water twice.  I will take some photos.

I like how it turned out that I am doing the acre in front of the house.  It is just really nice and no lawn.  I still have lawn in the back of the house but the wild flowers are a hit at my house.  I don't know if weeds will eventually take over but I am hoping that as long as the local wild plants are maintained strong, weeds will not win.  I see a lot of open fields in Vermont that no one weeds and the wild flowers do well.

Thanks

Offline eltalia

• Queen Bee
« Reply #29 on: July 07, 2018, 12:30:43 am »
" I think then people will feel safe to post things that may be crazy or completely wrong.  It is all about
the approach :)"

What you think VHB, Sir, is important in then evolving what you do personally believe...
... and that is the end of it. Any new player is entitled, welcomed even, to express their
thoughts, anywhere... in a perfect World.
However it aint (perfect) and so some do develop a 'hardness' for new players who
then choose to challenge what they are advised, moreso when quoting some bespoke '
'guru' as verified reference.
I'd be the last to back Acebird on anything - pretty much - as g00gle.com is not
beekeeping per se, however reacting to his posts is silly when you do not know the topic.
Resorting to quoting others gets you nowhere and gives folks like myself the grits as that
default reflects a "beekeeping by numbers" approach, devoid of independant thinking
around understanding the topic.
In this case ants - another social communal organism.
So the solution is very simple, kill the queen or queens and ants are gone, period.
Think on how to do that -  for example.
Now...
... you are buying wildflower packs, something some entrepreneur clicked onto in that
"Save the Bees" crowd persuasion. In short, sucker bait.
There are stats published on what backyard bees benefit from as forage and it is not a
patch of a few acres of wildflowers, regardless of what it says on the packet.
And...
... you are feeding bees lollywater, and again following what you read not what you see.
Most here do know doing so (lollywater) is a pet peeve of mine. I do what I can to
discourage the practice for backyard bees but it is true one may as well take a leak from
the top of the beetruck heading into a gale!
You run backyard colonys.
Yes there are times to feed bees. No, not lollywater.
Your 'job' is to manage your colonys around what they can do.. *in your yard*.
You are not the frenchie goose farmer making commercial pate, okay?
Metaphorical but exactly what significant numbers believe tbey can do in their backyard in
emulating commercial enterprises in any of the Apis disciplines for profit.

Patience is indeed required in beekeeping successes, that and knowing what your bees
_are_ doing is at the core of starting out. Way way too many are on the More-Is-Best Train,
and thus cannot drag themselves off the lollywater tit.
You feed your bees what stores you can gather. Growing colonys you cannot support in
that way (lollywater) is folly, whether new to it or as insistent in repeating a mistake as to
gather years "at it".

It is likely pointless in mentioning but you have a think about why selfpromoting 'gurus' do
run against what ecology and bee biology dictate... start with knowing some are earning
well over $4000 USD  a weekend (holidays)  during the tour season in filling the heads of
absorbant new players as yourself. Others produce hoardes of nucs @$250 USD each, to
again sell off to new players as yourself. Yet others are flogging DisneyLand queens at $80
a pop.... and let's not go down the "natural raw honey" path, hey!
Then there is EweTube, the shearing crate of the Internet!!!
It _is_ an industry.... and buggerall to do with Bee Husbandry.

... go well, stay safe, and Lucks to your bees.

Bill

Offline buzzbee

• Ken
  • Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
    • N Central Pa Beekeepers Facebook Page
« Reply #30 on: July 07, 2018, 07:12:00 am »
Gee,
I haven't been here in a while, but one of the first posts I come across and I see infractions of one of the main forum rules going out the window here.
We have always been a forum of civil discourse.
This is a snippet from the bylaws if you need to refresh yourselves.

Be kind to other members, do not put them down, bait them into fighting or do anything to create a fight whether in open forum or private messaging. Trashing another member will surely lead you toward the banishment door quickly. New members are expected to abide by the same rules as seasoned members. We believe that Ignorance of a rule is NO excuse to break it – you are expected to read the bylaws and strictly abide by them.

Here is a link to the bylaws at the top of the main forum page. If you need a refresher. guys
https://beemaster.com/forum/index.php?topic=19652.0
Take note to repercussions on personal attacks.

Keep it civil people or keep it to yourself. I may not come often, but I will not let Johns forum legacy be turned upside down.   

Offline sc-bee

• Super Bee
« Reply #31 on: July 07, 2018, 09:17:10 am »
... you are buying wildflower packs, something some entrepreneur clicked onto in that
"Save the Bees" crowd persuasion. In short, sucker bait.
There are stats published on what backyard bees benefit from as forage and it is not a
patch of a few acres of wildflowers, regardless of what it says on the packet.

Vermont.... The point is if you enjoy the flowers, and the kid benefits from not mowing  :wink:, so BEE it plant them. Will the small plot benefit the bees much to a point you see a return.... most likely not. But if you plant three acres and the neighbor down the road plants three and so on and so on.... who knows??? Actually USDA has a pollinator program and they prefer to sponsor and encourage small plots of a few acres vs large plantings.

Offline VermontHoneyBee

• House Bee
« Reply #32 on: July 07, 2018, 03:00:21 pm »
" I think then people will feel safe to post things that may be crazy or completely wrong.  It is all about
the approach :)"

What you think VHB, Sir......
... go well, stay safe, and Lucks to your bees.

Bill

Bill, talk about approach....  We are talking about different opinions here are we not?.  You mention that the approach is key and yet, re-read your post and see your approach.  Was your approach appropriate and proportionally correct?.  Come down, read the entire post before going off the deep end.  I fed my bees for 3 weeks.  The decision to feed them was based on documented studies both by experts on this board as well as Mr. Oliver.  Why is my topic so electrifying?.  Why are people making assumptions based on no facts?.  I fed them for 3 weeks once the drew the comb I wanted.  They have not had any problems supporting their populations and in fact if you read my posts, in the past week they filled a honey super.  I stopped feeding them more than 3 weeks ago.

About the seeds, I did not plant it for them for the bees, I planted flowers that grow wild in my area (known as one of the best areas in the world for beekeeping (Champlain valley).  I bought the seeds primarily to not have to cut grass. 

As we say in the US "Take a chill pill".  Apparently every decision I have made so far is wrong.  You don't know why I bought the seeds and all their blends are about the same price.  I bought that bland based on extensive research I did to make sure that everything in there indeed was native to my area in Vermont. 

If everything I have done is wrong or because I am an inpatient "New Beekeeper", I must have dumb bees.  I started with 6 hives.  Each hive has exploded in population.  I did one inspection today of one of my hives and it had 11 deep frames solid with capped brood.  In addition, 3 frames with brood in all stages.  I started with 6 hives and now I have 6 hives with so many bees I am fighting their drive to swarm.  They are so packed that I already split 3 hives into 2 production hives and one queenless nuc.  Now I have 9 hives.  I started a new nuc with no queen because I wanted them to raise their own queen.  I inspected that nuc today and it has 6 capped queen cells (I had given them a frame of eggs).  The queens will come out this week and I hope to have a laying queen in 14 days or so.

Out of my 6 initial hives, I did not lose any.  Today the number is 9 hives (including the nucs).

So if I am so bad, then my bees must be super special that despite my stupidity, they are still thriving.  I belong to a bee club near me and many were complaining that they lost their hives, or that they swarmed, or that they are still in just a few frames.  I don't know if I am better than anyone but I have done a lot of research, hundreds of hours where I built a several hundred page electronic notebook with notes.  I have attended many classes and speeches and I researched for 3 years before I bought a single bee.  Why?  Because I wanted to do it right.  It is how I am.

Now, let's respect each other and don't make assumptions.  My bees are doing great, I am enjoying this board (well some postings more than others).  I pick the information that I find makes sense to me and my area.  I may be doing everything wrong but my bees don't seem to agree.  I do many things for many reasons but not always what you may think.  Hope that this makes sense.

If this is such an electrifying topic, perhaps we need to put a warning to let people know to read this thread at their own risk :cool:

Thanks

Offline VermontHoneyBee

• House Bee
« Reply #33 on: July 07, 2018, 03:11:55 pm »
Vermont.... The point is if you enjoy the flowers, and the kid benefits from not mowing  :wink:, so BEE it plant them. Will the small plot benefit the bees much to a point you see a return.... most likely not. But if you plant three acres and the neighbor down the road plants three and so on and so on.... who knows??? Actually USDA has a pollinator program and they prefer to sponsor and encourage small plots of a few acres vs large plantings.

Agreed 100%.  I know that I can never make a dent.  My intent is more to take my property to be more wild than manicured.  I am not a fan of cutting grass and my son is allergic to any type of hard labor (even cleaning his own room).  I may turn all of my grass into wild fields.  Many people are doing this in Vermont so I think the community, working together, do make a difference.  People here are bees "aware".  I am in the middle of milk farms and I was talking to one of the owners of a farm near me and asked him why he was not cutting his hay before they flower.  I knew why because Vermont is trying to educate as many people as possible.  He said, just a few more weeks makes no difference to him and he knows the bees will benefit if the fields are allowed to flower.  He told me exactly what I wanted to hear because my bees forage on his fields.  I told him that I was going to give him honey this year and he went inside his house and gave me two gallons of Maple Syrup.  Yes, he has a sugar house in his property.  I thought that was really nice of him.  I did ask him if I can put hives in his land next year and we share honey profits and he said yes.  I don't even know what a fair share would be but we will see.  If my bees survive the winter and I continue to thrive, I will put 6 or 8 hives in the middle of his fields.  We will see.  I am very optimistic   :happy:

Offline eltalia

• Queen Bee
« Reply #34 on: July 07, 2018, 05:39:54 pm »
VermontHoneyBee wrote:
" I think then people will feel safe to post things that may be crazy or completely wrong.
  It is all about the approach :)"

What you think VHB, Sir, is important in then evolving what you do personally believe...
... and that is the end of it. [\quote]

>Bill, talk about approach....  We are talking about different opinions here
> are we not?.

No.

>You mention that the approach is key and yet, re-read your post and see
 >your approach.  Was your approach appropriate and proportionally correct?.

Sorry? As is posted, I defined _your_ reflected approach to beekeeping.
Shoot me and all others who reach the very same conclusion on your own
evidence, Sir.
Now...
In my read of your reposte I cannot find (proportionally) the word "ant" even
getting a passing mention.
I may well be "just dumb ol' words" on an Internet page, Sir... yet in
quicktime on this here Internet thingy I have learnt(learned) well not
to engage in 'argument' which begins with false premise to expand
then where-ever the proposer wishes to take Topic.
A method well oiled in some debating circles, known universally as
Series Expansion.
I am certain many here would require a g00gle.com expansion of the
method.

... mind how you go.

Bill

[edited for tap tap misfires]

Offline VermontHoneyBee

• House Bee
« Reply #35 on: July 07, 2018, 06:45:52 pm »

>Bill, talk about approach....  We are talking about different opinions here
> are we not?.

No.

>You mention that the approach is key and yet, re-read your post and see
 >your approach.  Was your approach appropriate and proportionally correct?.

Sorry? As is posted, I defined _your_ reflected approach to beekeeping.
Shoot me and all others who reach the very same conclusion on your own
evidence, Sir.

Bill

[edited for tap tap misfires]

I don't even know where to begin.  Let's just say that I don't need your input, did not ask for your insults and don't think I have done anything to raise such a strong attack.  Since I upset you so much, how about you not commenting or replying to any of my posts?.  Can we do that?.  I started this thread with a simple question and some people have gotten so upset that this thread is no longer about ants or even bees.  I am new to beekeeping and will make mistakes but I hope that when I am an expert, that I do not ever talk to anyone like you do.  Are you matured enough to not respond or react to any of my posts?.  I don't need to be bullied...  I am here to learn, share ideas and even debate them.  However debating is not ever supposed to be about challenging anyone's ideas or a platform to insult others.  Frankly, I am seriously thinking of leaving this board and I never thought I would write that.  I read the bylaws and I don't see anywhere where we, if we disagree or even make a mistake, creates a platform where insults can happen.

I went into this hobby hoping that it would be a great experience and that I would find a welcoming community willing to debate and share experiences.  What I am finding is that there are a few "Prima Donnas" who think they are the authority in beekeeping.  I started this thread based on a well documented research by Mr. Oliver, who btw I spoke to personally on this very topic".  But you somehow think I am crazy.  Sounds like if we don't agree with you, we are wrong.  That kind of mentality is one where new ideas, new concepts and new discoveries are ever allowed.  That kind of mentality, if allowed, would result in all of us still thinking the world is flat.  I have ideas, I do research, I share here, if you don't like it, you are welcome to ignore all my posts.  Sincerely thinking I am done with this board.

Offline buzzbee

• Ken
  • Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
    • N Central Pa Beekeepers Facebook Page
« Reply #36 on: July 07, 2018, 07:16:42 pm »
I am locking this thread due to its downhill spiral. This is not the type of conversation needed here at Beemaster. If you want to start a new thread and keep it civil,have at it.
I got notices through different channels on this threasd, so learn to get along and no personal attacks. Period.

anything