Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Clean up  (Read 2035 times)

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
Clean up
« on: June 05, 2018, 10:00:11 pm »
I just spent a few hours stripping out brood comb and cleaning up some boxes.  Jim, I don't think you should be so hard on carpenter ants.  Maybe they are your friend.  While I was stripping comb they were carrying out SHB larvae.  Of course they were in direct competition with the chickens.  The chickens won.  The beak of a chicken is like a heat seeking missile.  They don't miss.
I might have enough equipment to run one or two hives in FL  Just need foundation.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
Re: Clean up
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2018, 10:54:55 pm »
What size foundation and how many sheets. I'll have them waiting when you stop in here.
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2018, 08:28:17 am »
Wally, what style do you have?
My frames are all mediums but there are several variations due to me changing my mind and BetterBee changing manufacturers.  I started heading in the groove top and bottom direction even though I think the bees like the split bottom bar version best.
If I bring down 8 boxes I will need 64 sheets.  Because I don't wire my frames I like to install the sheets just before I use the frames.  I have had problems installing the foundation into the frames and storing the frames.  The foundation bows like crazy.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Offline yes2matt

• Field Bee
  • Urban setting, no acaricides
    • Love Me Some Honey
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2018, 09:23:49 am »
What size foundation and how many sheets. I'll have them waiting when you stop in here.
Y'all hanging out in Sophia,  keep me in the loop, maybe I can come up.

Sent from my SM-J327P using Tapatalk

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2018, 12:20:20 pm »
Wax foundation without hooks for groove  bottom. With hooks for the slotted bottom. We have both.
Yeah, Matt, we will keep posting here. may have a get together when he comes down.
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline Hops Brewster

• Field Bee
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2018, 12:29:22 pm »
Look out, Ace, they're planning to overwhelm you by shear force of numbers!
Winter is coming.

I can't say I hate the government, but I am proudly distrustful of them.

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2018, 12:52:15 pm »
Didn't happen at the Beefest when they were both there.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2018, 09:54:40 am »
I just spent a few hours stripping out brood comb and cleaning up some boxes.  Jim, I don't think you should be so hard on carpenter ants.  Maybe they are your friend.  While I was stripping comb they were carrying out SHB larvae.  Of course they were in direct competition with the chickens.  The chickens won.  The beak of a chicken is like a heat seeking missile.  They don't miss.
I might have enough equipment to run one or two hives in FL  Just need foundation.

That?s not going to happen. They almost wiped out my flow hive. Had to take it completely apart and reduce it down to a single 8 frame box and they did not fill that up. Luckily the queen survived and is in there. Yesterday I added that Nuc or abandoned bees to to help them out.
Removed several hundred carpenter ants and as many eggs from it.
As little Johnny said. GD ants.  :cheesy:

Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline yes2matt

• Field Bee
  • Urban setting, no acaricides
    • Love Me Some Honey
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2018, 11:11:43 am »
Didn't happen at the Beefest when they were both there.
You won't have as far to travel for Beefest 2019

Sent from my SM-J327P using Tapatalk

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2018, 02:18:24 pm »
You are right Matt.
Jim, maybe the ants are more aggressive down in FL.  They are no problem up here.  I thought you had grease cups on your stands?
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2018, 10:03:43 pm »
Ace,
I do. The grass is growing like crazy due to all of the rain we have had. The hives are all very full and are covering the bottoms of the hives. Makes it hard to weed wack it with out stirring up a hornets nest.  :angry:
It is the carpenter ants that cause the problems here. We have micro ants in our hives but they are never a problem. I have never had a problem with fire ants in a hive same with sugar ants.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2018, 12:25:44 am »
It is a little taboo but you could put your stands on a bead of rock or stone and sprinkle a little rock salt on the stone.  Not too much just a little to keep the grass out of the stone.  No one will know they will just think you are a professional landscaper with the stone under your hives.
50% on my job is cutting grass and keeping weeds out of the rock landscape.  I have to use Round up because there are bushes mixed in.  But if there is no other plants to worry about then salt it.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #12 on: June 09, 2018, 12:28:13 am »
Thanks for the info Ace. 
Jim
Ben Franklin

Offline beepro

• Field Bee
« Reply #13 on: June 09, 2018, 01:59:52 am »
The landscape grass or weed guard fabrics will not work.   Over time the grass will
take over again.   What works for me is the 45 mil EPDM pond liner.   They will last a
long long time without the need to replace every season.   Thick enough to keep the grass and
tree roots in.   

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #14 on: June 09, 2018, 08:47:24 am »
Thanks Beepro. I will keep that in mind. I will be moving the bees soon and I may rework the stands.
Jim
Ben Franklin

Offline Beeboy01

• Field Bee
  • Oh Look A Honey Bee !!!
« Reply #15 on: June 09, 2018, 10:28:11 am »
I redid my bee yard this year and laid down two bundles of old roofing shingles under the hives. So far it has worked great but I"m still having problems with weeds growing along the edges of the covered area. Going to try clearing them out with a electric hedge trimmer instead of a weed whacker.