Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: OUCH!!  (Read 2429 times)

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
OUCH!!
« on: May 28, 2018, 06:20:02 pm »
Millions of bees dropped dead after GMO corn was planted few weeks ago in Ontario, Canada.

http://dailynativenews.site/2018/03/37-million-bees-found-dead-after-planting-large-gmo-corn-field
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline moebees

• House Bee
Re: OUCH!!
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2018, 07:05:56 pm »
Millions of bees dropped dead after GMO corn was planted few weeks ago in Ontario, Canada.

http://dailynativenews.site/2018/03/37-million-bees-found-dead-after-planting-large-gmo-corn-field

Thanks for the article although it is terribly written.  Provides almost no information and talks about neonics in a generic way.  It is well established (see Dr. Greg Hunt at Purdue) that neonic treated corn seed (all of it is treated) is a substantial hazard to bees during corn planting time.  Much of the dust that coats the seed comes off in the planting process and can drift some distance.  In addition when farmers blow the planters out at the end of planting it also creates huge clouds of dust containing powerful insect neurotoxins. So although it makes sense that bee kills would occur around corn planting, I see nothing about that in the article.
Bee-keeping is like raising Martians  - Isabella Rosselini

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2018, 08:06:24 pm »
600 hives... I think it is a safe bet that when 600 hives die at once it is the cause of pesticide.  Can't say if it was the corn planting or not but it seems to happen.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2018, 10:48:13 pm »
I bet if they do properly investigate it, they find out that the corn was treated with an neonic. They may have bought it in the US.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline sc-bee

• Super Bee
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2018, 01:20:24 am »

Is this the same one from 2014.... circulating again? I have seen it on multiple pages.... I love the way these off the wall sources never use a date on their article. The articles are like a cat with nine lives  :wink:

https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/bees-gmo-cornfield/
John 3:16

Offline moebees

• House Bee
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2018, 01:52:36 am »
I bet if they do properly investigate it, they find out that the corn was treated with an neonic. They may have bought it in the US.
Jim

Its nearly impossible to purchase corn seed that isn't treated with neonics.

Offline LizzieBee

• House Bee
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2018, 03:18:37 am »
That is terrible! Imagine how much those hives were needed for pollination.

Lizzie

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2018, 07:56:55 am »
Its nearly impossible to purchase corn seed that isn't treated with neonics.
Funny you should say that.  I went to Agway and they said they didn't have anything in their store that was GMO.  It is very expensive and I believe it involves a contract with the farmer to plant it.  So for the back yard gardener it is unlikely he/she will get it.
However the seed I did buy was treated with a fungicide.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2018, 08:37:12 am »
GMO means Genetically modified organism. Neonics is a poison coating that is absorbed by the plant as it grows.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2018, 09:07:51 am »
GMO means Genetically modified organism. Neonics is a poison coating that is absorbed by the plant as it grows.
Jim
The plant needs to be genetically modified in order that the poison doesn't kill it but kills everything else.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2018, 02:41:33 pm »
In some cases the plant makes its own poison to keep the bugs at bay.
Jim
Ben Franklin

Van, Arkansas, USA

« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2018, 03:00:55 pm »
Yes Sir, Master Jim: to be specific about plants and some of the chemicals used to deter or kill insects, consider;

Coffee plant: caffeine
Opinion poppy: pure opinion
Rubber plant: latex
Cociane tree: cociane
Plant?: Chocolate
Garden flower (forgot name):pyrethrum
Hemp: THC
Hemlock: deadly poison
Tobacco: nicotine

The list goes on and on.

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2018, 04:53:39 pm »
In some cases the plant makes its own poison to keep the bugs at bay.
Jim
But round up is for killing vegetation.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Offline moebees

• House Bee
« Reply #13 on: May 29, 2018, 06:20:50 pm »
Jim
The plant needs to be genetically modified in order that the poison doesn't kill it but kills everything else.

The GMO is to allow the use of herbicides on the crops.  Neonics do not kill plants so they can be used on non GMO plants.  But when it comes to corn in the US almost 100% is GMO and neonic seed coated.

Offline paus

• Field Bee
« Reply #14 on: May 29, 2018, 06:47:54 pm »
Van.  Chrysanthemum thanks to spell check.