Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: The Real Classroom  (Read 2414 times)

Offline NasalSponge

• House Bee
The Real Classroom
« on: May 19, 2018, 11:39:37 am »
If you truly wish to learn the art of beekeeping, to learn your bees...a chair in your apiary and lot of time spent in it is a must. There the bees will teach you without opinion and philosophy......pure, unadulterated knowledge.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Offline Bush_84

• Field Bee
Re: The Real Classroom
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2018, 01:31:24 pm »
I love to sit and watch my bees. In previous years I just setup a concrete block and sat next to them. This year I bought three Nucs, which turned out to be very strong but very hot. I get 2-3 bees pinging off my veil once I get within 10 yards of my hives. Inspections are worse. So until I am able to remedy this situation my watching will have to be done suited up. 🙁
Keeping bees since 2011.

Also please excuse the typos.  My iPad autocorrect can be brutal.

Offline LizzieBee

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2018, 01:35:24 pm »
I can spend up to an hour a day sitting only about two inches from my beehive. The stand has four cinder blocks with two pieces of wood resting across. I sit on one of the cinderblocks and watch them come in and out. It doesn?t seem to bother them. I?ve seen them coming into the hive with all sorts of colors of pollen (yellow, orange, red, gray, purple, brown) on their legs. Some of them are covered in pollen when they come in. All those colors of pollen get me curious as to what plant they are from, so I went around the property and found where the bees were  foraging and what color pollen they had on their legs. Wild blackberries was gray, carpet roses was orange, wild lilac was pale yellow. I think the other colors are plants that aren?t on my property.

Bush, what type of bees are they? Sorry to hear they?re grumps.

LizzieBee

Offline Bush_84

• Field Bee
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2018, 11:47:42 pm »
I can spend up to an hour a day sitting only about two inches from my beehive. The stand has four cinder blocks with two pieces of wood resting across. I sit on one of the cinderblocks and watch them come in and out. It doesn?t seem to bother them. I?ve seen them coming into the hive with all sorts of colors of pollen (yellow, orange, red, gray, purple, brown) on their legs. Some of them are covered in pollen when they come in. All those colors of pollen get me curious as to what plant they are from, so I went around the property and found where the bees were  foraging and what color pollen they had on their legs. Wild blackberries was gray, carpet roses was orange, wild lilac was pale yellow. I think the other colors are plants that aren?t on my property.

Bush, what type of bees are they? Sorry to hear they?re grumps.

LizzieBee

They are vsh Italians I bought from a guy north of me. They were Nucs. I have typically gotten packages from Mann lake. I?m pretty sure they get their stock from Olivarez (sp?) from California. Gentle bees but I have had not always had much luck in winter and have had chalkbrood issues. So I figured it was time to change. I?m thinking about getting some carnis from Strachan next.
Keeping bees since 2011.

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2018, 01:12:04 am »
Bush,
The next time you do an inspection, try smoking them with 3 or 4 good puffs of smoke, leave them sit for 10 minutes, then smoke them again and wait 30 seconds.
Do you use leather gloves? They can cause the bees to be very aggressive. If so try the blue neoprene gloves.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline Bush_84

• Field Bee
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2018, 01:20:22 am »
Bush,
The next time you do an inspection, try smoking them with 3or 4 good pics of smoke, leave them sit for 10 seconds, then smoke them again and wait 30 seconds.
Do you use leather gloves? They can cause the bees to be very aggressive. If so try the blue neoprene gloves.
Jim

I?ve tried them with smoke and without smoke. Inspections on perfect days. At first I thought it was maybe due to all the recent intrusions. Getting stuffed in a cardboard nuc. Jammed in a car. Stuffed into a new hive. Oav treatments. Possibly skunks (constant presence here). Then it hit me as I was inspecting my other three hives of a different pedigree. My other three hives are always extremely tame. I can pull frames and they are calm and quiet. That?s how my bees have always been. Now I can?t get within 10 yards of my hives and they chase me darn near 100 yards and still don?t give up. With these Nucs as soon as I pop the lid bees immediately fill the air. As soon as I pull a comb it nearly empties and the remaining bees run on the comb like they are being chased. Sometime this next week I?ll be rearing a few queens. Maybe I?ll pull the other queens and stick them in a mating nuc for now as an emergency backup. My issue is my only time tested queen gets chalkbrood every single spring no matter what I do. My other two options are untested first year package queens.
Keeping bees since 2011.

Offline little john

• Super Bee
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2018, 04:56:08 am »
With regard to the OP, there's a relevant book entitled "At the Hive Entrance" by a guy named Storch, in which he describes how much information can be inferred by just sitting and watching - that is, providing you have no other jobs around the place that are making demands upon your time ... :smile:
If you Google for 'At the Hive Entrance, H. STORCH' - this throws up a couple of links for a .pdf download.
LJ

A Heretics Guide to Beekeeping - http://heretics-guide.atwebpages.com

Van, Arkansas, USA

« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2018, 09:31:45 pm »
Nasal, LBee, Agreed.  I also sit next to my hives and watch activity.  I also count beetles in the evening.

Bush, I have dealt with defensive bees and I realize it no fun.  I requeened but not by standard means.  Defensive bees will kill an introduced queen by standard methods.  An experience I learned in the beeyard, not the books with methods that got me queens killed.

In brief requeening a defensive hive:  there must not be any egg or young larva in the hive.  A queen frame cage roughly 16 by 3  by frame width is used for introducing a queen.  The large queen cage allows a new queen to spread her pheromones for the entire length of the frame.

Bush: Consider if your bees are defensive now, just wait until they have a hive full of honey.
Blessings

Offline gww

• Super Bee
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2018, 10:28:57 pm »
Here is a link to a free copy of at the hive entrance.
https://app.box.com/s/331cea17cbd2e7500bab
Cheers
gww

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2018, 10:42:16 pm »
Here is the frame Van is referring to.....

https://beezneedz.com/product/qrs-queen-intro/
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline beepro

• Field Bee
« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2018, 10:55:28 pm »
The real learning for me is to get inside the hive for a thorough inspection.   During the process a few prized queens got
killed.   Got my first victim yesterday :(   Now I know what not to do the next time!

Sitting on a chair observing will only make me sleepy.  Once I woke up a few hours later sitting next to the bee hives.  Yep, it was that
relaxing, alright.   Now I have a foam bench a few feet from the hives inside a 10x10 open top tent.   Gotta draw the boundary somehow.  I will go hands on until all the kinks got iron out.   

Offline Hops Brewster

• Field Bee
« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2018, 11:02:33 am »
If you truly wish to learn the art of beekeeping, to learn your bees...a chair in your apiary and lot of time spent in it is a must. There the bees will teach you without opinion and philosophy......pure, unadulterated knowledge.
Well, this activity is actually tinted with your own opinions and philosophy.  Can't be avoided.  Yes,  I know, "pure science has no opinion."   But beekeeping is not a pure science.  It is an art, as well, and art is chock full of opinion and philosophy.  IMO, anyway  :tongue:
Your observations are of immeasurable value in your own understanding of how and why you manage your colonies.
Winter is coming.

I can't say I hate the government, but I am proudly distrustful of them.

Offline Hops Brewster

• Field Bee
« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2018, 11:10:20 am »
I can spend up to an hour a day sitting only about two inches from my beehive. The stand has four cinder blocks with two pieces of wood resting across. I sit on one of the cinderblocks and watch them come in and out. It doesn?t seem to bother them. I?ve seen them coming into the hive with all sorts of colors of pollen (yellow, orange, red, gray, purple, brown) on their legs.

LizzieBee

My hives are set up the same way, and I was doing exactly this early Sat. morning with a hive I had captured in my swarm trap about 2 weeks ago.  A guard bee took exception to my observations, zipped out and tagged me on the edge of my ear.  Yowzer!  She obviously did not realize that I am their kind benefactor, deserving of respect.
Winter is coming.

I can't say I hate the government, but I am proudly distrustful of them.

Offline NasalSponge

• House Bee
« Reply #13 on: May 21, 2018, 12:12:00 pm »
Well, this activity is actually tinted with your own opinions and philosophy.  Can't be avoided.  Yes,  I know, "pure science has no opinion."   But beekeeping is not a pure science.  It is an art, as well, and art is chock full of opinion and philosophy.  IMO, anyway  :tongue:
Your observations are of immeasurable value in your own understanding of how and why you manage your colonies.
Well, at least it is the bees forming your opinions and not a bunch of "internet experts"

Offline little john

• Super Bee
« Reply #14 on: May 21, 2018, 05:00:56 pm »
If you truly wish to learn the art of beekeeping, to learn your bees...a chair in your apiary and lot of time spent in it is a must. There the bees will teach you without opinion and philosophy...... pure, unadulterated knowledge.

Earlier today I opened-up a hive in good heart - everything looked perfectly ok from the outside.  But what I found inside the hive was 3 or 4 combs with four-inch diameter capped-brood, snow-white honey cappings ... and drones being raised - even though the total colony strength was nuc-sized.
When taken together, the above tells me (without even examining the bees themselves) that's an AMM colony which has sneaked-in among my Carnies and Buckfasts, and so the drones were immediately culled, and the colony marked as requiring re-queening asap.

Sometimes - to really learn the art of beekeeping - it's necessary to get off your butt and take a look inside the beehive, as well as watching from the outside.
LJ
A Heretics Guide to Beekeeping - http://heretics-guide.atwebpages.com

Offline beepro

• Field Bee
« Reply #15 on: May 22, 2018, 05:55:30 am »
LJ, I agree with you.  The real learning for me is inside the hive.  In my 1st year, I inspected the hives 3 times in
a day.   Over kill but I learn a lot in the process.

Offline NasalSponge

• House Bee
« Reply #16 on: May 22, 2018, 11:57:39 am »
Really? In 31 years I have never thought of that! (He says with much sarcasm!)

anything