BEEKEEPING LEARNING CENTER > DOWN UNDER BEEKEEPING

My first hive

(1/12) > >>

wiifm:
I got a five frame nuc 2 days ago.  Successfully installed it (I think I saw the queen).  I have a lot to learn.

wiifm:
I decided to build a 4 frame nuc system after watching a lot of videos by Michael Palmer.  I won't experience the same winters as he here in the tropics of Queensland, but I am sure there are benefits to a nuc system for me too.

wiifm:
I conducted my first inspection today.  FYI, because I am running 4 frames wide and the new nuc was 5 frames, I place the two outside frames in the centre of the top box and the cenre three frames in the bottom box.  All spare spaces were filled with foundation.

I am keen to receive any help/observations from what you see in the photos here as I have no experience.

In the two days since install, they have consumed about 1L of 1:1 syrup.

Inside top box.  Is the SHB trap too tight in there?

Frame 3 top box

wiifm:
Frame 2 top box

Frame 4 bottom box

wiifm:
Frame 3 bottom box

Frame 2 bottom box

My observations:
The bees were alive and calm.  I used a couple of puffs of smoke before opening the hive, then none after.  I was not able to see the queen or any evidence of egg laying, however I have no experience.  There were a couple of emergency cells? which I squashed gently.  There are a few small hive beetles running around in there.

I am willing to take any and all advice to help with my learning at this early stage .

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version