Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Fall management  (Read 1482 times)

Offline Butteredloins

• House Bee
Fall management
« on: May 05, 2018, 07:18:15 pm »
Hi everyone.
We are going into winter here, and was just wondering my hive is a single 10frame deep box. It has alot of honey in it and only one frame appears to have abit of brood on it. Is it bad to have to much honey, as they are going into winter. But just worried about the tiny amount of brood space.
Thanks

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
Re: Fall management
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2018, 09:49:30 pm »
No such thing as too much honey.  Too much syrup maybe but not too much honey.  Does anyone pull honey from a feral hive?  Without intervention the bees would not do such a thing.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Offline Butteredloins

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2018, 07:27:01 am »
Yea thought it looked like a good thing. Just worried how little brood there was.

Online cao

• Super Bee
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2018, 11:00:27 am »
I don't know your area but I know that in my area the queen will reduce her laying and the bees will backfill the broodnest.  As long as there is plenty of bees in the box, I would say they are doing just fine.

Offline bwallace23350

• Super Bee
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2018, 09:00:00 am »
How long and severe are your winters? Do you know if that will be enough honey to get them through the winter?

Offline Butteredloins

• House Bee
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2018, 02:36:10 am »
Our winter are in the daily max temps of 9-16? celius. They have 7 frames full of honey.

Offline beepro

• Field Bee
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2018, 09:37:54 pm »
Without enough young fat winter bees to form a cluster the situation does not look too good.  How many
frame of bees do you have in this hive now?   Over the winter many will died too.   Some will do a combine but with only
one hive you are stuck until next Spring.   

Offline Butteredloins

• House Bee
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2018, 07:02:43 am »
The bees seem to cover the tops of about 8 frames and that doesn't include the bees that are out foraging.

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2018, 07:22:12 am »
The bees seem to cover the tops of about 8 frames and that doesn't include the bees that are out foraging.
That sounds like it should be fine. Feel the weight of the hive by lifting up the back side. Since you know it is full of honey, use this as a standard. If you feel it get a lot lighter, feed they moist sugar on the top Boards.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin