Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Pollen on Bottom Board Tray  (Read 4149 times)

Online The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Traveler of the Multiverse, Seeker of Knowledge
Pollen on Bottom Board Tray
« on: May 04, 2018, 01:42:52 pm »
I got my bees 3 weeks ago, and yesterday I decided to take a look at the trays below my screened bottom boards just to see what I could see.  I've attached a picture of one of the trays.  Both hives seem to be dropping a lot of pollen, is that normal? 
I come from under the hill, and under the hills and over the hills my paths led.  And through the air, I am she that walks unseen.

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
Re: Pollen on Bottom Board Tray
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2018, 02:08:22 pm »
I would say that looks more like cleaning out frames and maybe some uncapping of honey.
keep that tray clean so you can better see the mites.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Online The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2018, 02:31:45 pm »
keep that tray clean so you can better see the mites.
Definitely.  I hadn't realized they'd be so messy!

Here's a close up view, if you'd like it. 
I come from under the hill, and under the hills and over the hills my paths led.  And through the air, I am she that walks unseen.

Offline herbhome

• Field Bee
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2018, 04:16:07 pm »
Yep,

They will lose some pollen pellets through the screen. I clean it out regularly and dump it near the hive where they can collect it if they want but it seems they will tend to ignore it.
Neill

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2018, 04:24:52 pm »
Bees drop pollen a lot. Sometimes from walking on the screen, climbing through the hive and I have seen them in the observation hive drop it while they are trying to put the pollen in a cell.
I would not clean out the tray right next to your hive, it will draw ants. Don?t put it into a pile, the SHBs will lay their eggs in it and the larvae can grow in it.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline herbhome

• Field Bee
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2018, 05:01:49 pm »
Bees drop pollen a lot. Sometimes from walking on the screen, climbing through the hive and I have seen them in the observation hive drop it while they are trying to put the pollen in a cell.
I would not clean out the tray right next to your hive, it will draw ants. Don?t put it into a pile, the SHBs will lay their eggs in it and the larvae can grow in it.
Jim

X2! :smile:
Neill

Van, Arkansas, USA

« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2018, 05:11:30 pm »
Times 3.

Online The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2018, 05:45:17 pm »
Haha, it seems I've found one of the few topics in beekeeping that everybody just agrees on!   :cheesy:  Thanks a lot guys.   :smile:

Jim
I definitely have ants around, so I'll be sure to remember that.  I saw my first hive beetle today as well, so I'll have to get on figuring out what to do about those little buggers. 

Offline paus

• Field Bee
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2018, 06:51:15 pm »
Pollen drop in my double screen bottom boards is a contributing factor in making a mess in the oil tray.  My DSBB will only have screen in the back third of the board.  The SHB will still go to places to hide from bees, so far the oil tray is doing the job although the screen is only in the back of the board.  I do not anticipate any decline in SHB control but am concerned about Mite control as the screens do seem to be an effective control.

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2018, 10:33:48 pm »
15th,
?I saw my first hive beetle today as well, so I'll have to get on figuring out what to do about those little buggers.?
The best thing to do is keep your bees packed into the space they have. If it is a small hive, give them a small area even if you have to add a baffle/spacer.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2018, 10:36:29 pm »
The 2-? Are supposed to bee quotation marks. Every time I type question marks on my iPhone, they get changed to question marks.
Jim
Ben Franklin

Offline eltalia

• Queen Bee
« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2018, 06:34:11 am »
Haha, it seems I've found one of the few topics in beekeeping that everybody just agrees on!   :cheesy:  Thanks a lot guys.   :smile:

Jim
I definitely have ants around, so I'll be sure to remember that.  I saw my first hive beetle today as well, so I'll have to get on figuring out what to do about those little buggers.

Heh heh... not pouring water on your enthusiasm but what you are seeing is the result
of using a screen(SBB).. not saying they drop no pollon whatsoever on a solid BB but
you sure do not get to see it if it does happen in quantities.
SBB are baaad , mkay?

Ditto for the comments re pests innit.. gather it up and feed it to your chooks ;-)))

Bill

Online The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2018, 12:49:58 pm »
The best thing to do is keep your bees packed into the space they have. If it is a small hive, give them a small area even if you have to add a baffle/spacer.
Jim

I literally yesterday just gave them a second medium.  Do you think that's a problem?  The one hive had 4 frames almost fully drawn, 3 partially drawn, and one with festooning bees.  The other hive had 6 almost fully drawn, 1 partially drawn, and 1 blank.   

Heh heh... not pouring water on your enthusiasm but what you are seeing is the result
of using a screen(SBB).. not saying they drop no pollon whatsoever on a solid BB but
SBB are baaad , mkay?

Ditto for the comments re pests innit.. gather it up and feed it to your chooks ;-)))

Bill

Don't worry eltalia, my enthusiasm knows no bounds!  :cheesy:  That does bring up another question I had though.  I do have chickens and will certainly let them pick through that hive debris from the tray.   Is there anything else useful I can do with the stuff that I clean off the trays?  If not for the bees, perhaps for the garden or something?   

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #13 on: May 05, 2018, 02:07:52 pm »
15th,
?I literally yesterday just gave them a second medium.  Do you think that's a problem??
From your info I would say it is too soon to add a super. The bottom box should be pretty well full of bees befor adding a super. At least 8 frames drawn an covered with bees before you add.
What is in the super you added?
Jim
Ben Franklin

Online The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
« Reply #14 on: May 05, 2018, 02:24:50 pm »
15th,
?I literally yesterday just gave them a second medium.  Do you think that's a problem??
From your info I would say it is too soon to add a super. The bottom box should be pretty well full of bees befor adding a super. At least 8 frames drawn an covered with bees before you add.
What is in the super you added?
Jim

I'm doing foundationless, so just frames with starter strips.  So you think I should take it off?

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #15 on: May 05, 2018, 02:34:31 pm »
Foundation less is much safer. It is like having an empty bedroom that you do not have to take care of or clean. Drawn comb requires a lot more protection. I would remove the super, especially if you have waxed the center of the top strip, the bees often time steal the wax to use where they want it.
Jim
Ben Franklin

Online The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
« Reply #16 on: May 05, 2018, 02:36:10 pm »
No, I only have wooden starter strips, just the wedges nailed in sideways. 

Offline MikeyN.C.

• Field Bee
« Reply #17 on: May 05, 2018, 02:43:50 pm »
Howland Blackiston says 7/10
rule, when bees have drawn 7 frames complete add 2 box, but that is using foundation.

Online The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
« Reply #18 on: May 05, 2018, 02:50:05 pm »
Howland Blackiston says 7/10
rule, when bees have drawn 7 frames complete add 2 box, but that is using foundation.

How does that relate to 8 frame equipment? 

Offline eltalia

• Queen Bee
« Reply #19 on: May 05, 2018, 06:11:33 pm »
Jim

I literally yesterday just gave them a second medium.  Do you think that's a problem?  The one hive had 4 frames almost fully drawn, 3 partially drawn, and one with festooning bees.  The other hive had 6 almost fully drawn, 1 partially drawn, and 1 blank.   

SBB are baaad , mkay?

Bill

Don't worry eltalia, my enthusiasm knows no bounds!  :cheesy:  That does bring up another question I had though.  I do have chickens and will certainly let them pick through that hive debris from the tray.   Is there anything else useful I can do with the stuff that I clean off the trays?  If not for the bees, perhaps for the garden or something?

The bees are there, use them?
They will scatter their detritus (sp?) yards away from the hive body, if they can get to it.

Bill

anything