Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Entrance Reducer / mouse guard  (Read 2054 times)

djgriggs

Entrance Reducer / mouse guard
« on: April 11, 2018, 05:26:21 pm »
Being in North Alabama do I need an entrance reducer / mouse guard and if so which kind do you recommend?

Offline cao

• Super Bee
Re: Entrance Reducer / mouse guard
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2018, 05:37:41 pm »
I keep my entrances reduced to 3/8" tall by 3-4" long.  I haven't had a need for a mouse guard yet.

Offline Spur9

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2018, 06:06:56 pm »
You won't find out that you needed a mouse guard until you open up a hive with a nest after winter.  After my mentor told me that, I chose to run them every year (Nov-Apr).  Once the hive is active, the mice don't care to try and get in.

I run this as a reducer/guard on my 10 framers -

https://www.dadant.com/catalog/m00855-metal-entrance-reducer-each-10-fr?utm_source=google_shopping&gclid=Cj0KCQjw5LbWBRDCARIsALAbcOe2KqWd04ugJxeqBESCyy39ccdkFyOx9NJMM-w30icE7urTyPbW4ZAaAtVyEALw_wcB

I won't say it is any better than others out there, I just like it.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2018, 09:25:19 am by Spur9 »
7a - 1650ft

Van, Arkansas, USA

« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2018, 06:18:59 pm »
Mr. Griggs, I utilize a reducer such as Cao mentioned, during warm months. Now in July and August if temp rises above 100 then I utilize full entrance, reducer is removed.  Then during winter 1/2 X 3/4 inch, our winters, N. Arkansas much colder than yours.

djgriggs

« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2018, 11:01:45 pm »
I had seen where some were used and others never did. Was not for sure about if it was needed or not,, I can see using them in case of robing or something. I will just get me a couple of the original reducers .. thanks

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2018, 11:17:40 pm »
Being in North Alabama do I need an entrance reducer / mouse guard and if so which kind do you recommend?
DJ,
You only need a mouse guard if it stays cold long enough to keep your bees in cluster. It would have to be an extended period of time. When your bees break cluster, they will kill any mice living in the hive. If the mouse lives in the hive all winter, it can kill a hive.
I run reducers on my hives all year around. It helps prevent robbing.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline cao

• Super Bee
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2018, 11:59:39 pm »
I had seen where some were used and others never did. Was not for sure about if it was needed or not,, I can see using them in case of robing or something. I will just get me a couple of the original reducers .. thanks
My first year I left the entrance open all summer.  I noticed that they only used about a third of the opening.  The rest was usually left open with a few guard bees.  That fall I put the reducers on my hives for winter to help keep the cold out.  The next spring I was going to take them off but they seemed to be doing fine with the reduced entrance.  So I left them on and they have been on ever since.  It can get a bit crowded during a heavy flow but the bees work it out.

anything