Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Caught my first swarm  (Read 1771 times)

Offline bwallace23350

• Super Bee
Caught my first swarm
« on: April 09, 2018, 09:31:22 pm »
It was about the size or so of a football. I did not get a chance to give them sugar water as I had to pick my son up from daycare and also could not find my extra feeder. I will get on that first thing in the morning. I found the swarm at about 4:20-4:30 in the afternoon. I thought swarms left off early in the day?

Offline Waveeater

• House Bee
Re: Caught my first swarm
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2018, 10:12:44 pm »
I have had many swarms show up after lunch.

Online BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2018, 12:07:48 am »
I have watched swarms come in after the sun dipped below the horizon right as it started to rain.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline GSF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2018, 10:16:00 am »
bw, I have boxes prepared for a shake from a limb. Bottom board/Queen Excluder(now include), super with at least 2 drawn combs, and all strapped together. Once I move them I immediately start feeding heavily. After about 3 days I remove the queen excluder from the bottom of the super so mating can take place if needed. The queen excluder keeps her in, and once they pack 3-4 quarts of feed in there I figure they ain't going anywhere once I remove the excluder.
When the law no longer protects you from the corrupt, but protects the corrupt from you - then you know your nation is doomed.

Offline bwallace23350

• Super Bee
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2018, 11:18:18 am »
bw, I have boxes prepared for a shake from a limb. Bottom board/Queen Excluder(now include), super with at least 2 drawn combs, and all strapped together. Once I move them I immediately start feeding heavily. After about 3 days I remove the queen excluder from the bottom of the super so mating can take place if needed. The queen excluder keeps her in, and once they pack 3-4 quarts of feed in there I figure they ain't going anywhere once I remove the excluder.

So you would feed them? I read different things last night. Some fed some did not.

Online BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2018, 12:10:34 pm »

So you would feed them? I read different things last night. Some fed some did not.
BW,
Ask 3 beekeepers a question and you will get 5 answers.
😑
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline bwallace23350

• Super Bee
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2018, 12:36:57 pm »
Well I saw orientation flights today so I think they are going to stay.

Offline Waveeater

• House Bee
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2018, 03:14:20 pm »
Well you passed on some bad luck to me. I had a hive swarm on the 29th and I was able to catch them. I added space to the have and did what I could and I'll be darn if the same hive didn't swarm again today at 12:15. This time there about 35 feet off the ground in a Cypress Tree.  :angry:

Offline bwallace23350

• Super Bee
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2018, 05:38:07 pm »
Swarm left. Its ok. I can try again to catch one

Offline Waveeater

• House Bee
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2018, 06:32:55 pm »
Attempted to get my swarm from the cypress this morning but couldn't quite reach it. I have a 45' pole and the bees are about 50' up the tree. This is day two of them hanging there tempting me. With 3 swarm traps within 25 yards of them you would think they would get tired of being wind blown and cold all day and night. If I could float this would be a mute point.  :wink:

Offline eltalia

• Queen Bee
« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2018, 06:41:23 pm »
Guys... I am reading this same story everywhere, many many posts over
a dozen forums... I ask here as the shouting is way way less.

Why are youse fellas not fitting Queen restrictors to hived swarms?

Like,  such has been standard practice in my part of the World since
Adam ceased eating apples and took up herpetology! :-)))

Bill

Offline MikeyN.C.

• Field Bee
« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2018, 08:18:43 pm »
Don't the bees find suitable habit ?? When they swarm naturally ?

Offline Waveeater

• House Bee
« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2018, 09:49:13 pm »
I hate to ask but exactly what do you mean by Queen restrictiors? Using something at the entrance to prevent her from leaving? Such as excluder material?

Online BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2018, 10:53:35 pm »
I hate to ask but exactly what do you mean by Queen restrictiors? Using something at the entrance to prevent her from leaving? Such as excluder material?
A queen restricted is nothing more than a queen excluder placed below the bottom box to keep the queen from leaving.
Jim
Ben Franklin

Offline eltalia

• Queen Bee
« Reply #14 on: April 11, 2018, 11:47:02 pm »
I am begining to feel like the boy Scout who
was the only one to remember to pack his flint,
"let there be light" kinda thing.
Attached is example of an Australian QR.
There do exist many variations for the many
entrance styles.

Bill

anything