Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Temperature inside a beehive  (Read 5845 times)

Offline LizzieBee

• House Bee
Temperature inside a beehive
« on: April 09, 2018, 03:16:51 pm »
I?ve researched for the inside temperature of a beehive but the only helpful link I get is the temperature the brood must be in order to grow and emerge. The reason I ask is because I read that beeswax has to be 95 degrees (Fahrenheit) for the bees to work it. It?s been only 70 degrees during the day lately and they are cold blooded... I got a package of bees without a nuc. They are in a Langstroth hive with foundation on  the frames. I checked on them the day after I installed them and they haven?t built on the frames at all. Are they capable of hearing the hive up to 95? I?m new to this, and I?m starting to wonder if I should?ve done more research...

LizzieBee

Offline sc-bee

• Super Bee
Re: Temperature inside a beehive
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2018, 03:35:01 pm »
You should not be pulling frames and checking bees the day after you installed a package.
John 3:16

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2018, 03:40:25 pm »
Lizzie,
Bees are capable of and do produce heat, as high as 116 degrees, to kill Japanese hornets.
If they have enough bees they can build wax at 70 degrees. If they are making wax they will usually be very noisy.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline LizzieBee

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2018, 03:54:40 pm »
Thank you. I?m fascinated by how they can adjust the temperature so drastically!

I had to open it up because the owner of the apiary told me that the worker bees and queen bee had only been together for 24 hours and suggested I leave the cap on the queen cage a day longer and then allow the bees to eat the candy in the opening to release the queen.

LizzieBee

Offline eltalia

• Queen Bee
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2018, 06:11:36 pm »
"Thank you. I?m fascinated by how they can adjust the temperature so drastically! "

Think about the effect of blowing into your cupped hands in chilly weather.
Core body temp at work.
Bees use respiration and communal core temps (clusters/cascades) to achieve
such a focused outcome as your "warming of hands".

Bill

Online Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2018, 08:59:26 pm »
You should not be pulling frames and checking bees the day after you installed a package.
Duh, it hurts doesn't it SC?
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Offline LizzieBee

• House Bee
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2018, 02:54:54 am »
I had to remove two frames in order to access the queen cage. The bees seem to be doing fine today, I saw quite a few bringing lots of pollen. I did hear some loud buzzing so when I check on them in about a week hopefully there will be some drawn comb.

LizzieBee

Offline eltalia

• Queen Bee
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2018, 07:02:26 am »
I had to remove two frames in order to access the queen cage.
(edit)
LizzieBee

It can be a bit of a pain Lizzie - this question asking gig.
I certainly do not have the answer but I do know it is
not unusual for some to assume from reading the
question the author is in need of some basics to be
addressed in an answer.
I guess just rolling with it, "go with the flow" is maybe
the default approach in analysing answers.
   Lucks to your bees.

Bill

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2018, 09:25:03 am »
Are you feeding them?   It takes a lot of resources for them to make wax.   The best way to feed them is internal to the hive, not with a boardman feeder.

https://beevac.com/feeder-compare/
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

Offline LizzieBee

• House Bee
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2018, 01:33:35 pm »
Yes. I am feeding them with a boardman feeder. I would get a feeder for the inside but they?re difficult to find at stores around here, and I?m not old enough to drive. I don?t want to have someone go out of their way since the store is far away. The boardman feeder came with the kit so that makes me assume that it?ll work. I do see that a feeder inside is a little easier for them to access.

Thanks,
LizzieBee

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2018, 02:44:30 pm »
You don't need to buy anything, in fact you can use the jar from the boardman feeder, just place it over the inner cover hole.  The boardman feeder they won't feed from at night, or if the syrup gets cold.   With it inside they can feed 24/7 and it keeps warmer.  Check out the link I provided and look at inverted jar method.
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

Offline LizzieBee

• House Bee
« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2018, 12:20:30 pm »
It going to be cold and rainy for a few days. I like the idea of feeding the bees through the inner cover but having the empty brood box around the jar of syrup could make all the heat from below where the bees are rise to the top where they are not. I?ve never seen it done, but is it possible to take 2-3 frames out and place the boardman feeder and jar (which is currently on the landing board) in their place? Could this create other problems? There were no bees in the feeder tray this morning because it is very cold and gloomy outside.

Let me know if I?m missing something.
LizzieBee

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2018, 12:52:01 pm »
DON'T remove frames as they will build wild comb in the space instead of drawing out your frames.   The inner cover will help them retain the heat.  You can also but newspapers or other insulating material on top of the inner cover and around the jar if you are still worried.  But unless you think it is going to drop below freezing  I think the inner cover alone is enough.

Offline LizzieBee

• House Bee
« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2018, 09:36:27 pm »
Ok. I may change the current feeder setup soon.

LizzieBee

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
« Reply #14 on: April 11, 2018, 09:46:45 pm »
Keep us posted.   It is awesome to see young folks getting into beekeeping  :cool:

Offline cao

• Super Bee
« Reply #15 on: April 11, 2018, 10:22:16 pm »
Keep us posted.   It is awesome to see young folks getting into beekeeping  :cool:
Agreed

Offline LizzieBee

• House Bee
« Reply #16 on: April 14, 2018, 02:46:02 pm »
Just checked on the hive yesterday to see if the queen was released. I didn?t see her, but she was released from her cage. The bees have built wax on three surfaces of frames. Will the queen start laying in unfinished frames? I mean if the bees haven?t quite finished building the wax.

LizzieBee

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
« Reply #17 on: April 14, 2018, 05:21:06 pm »
The queen will lay in partially drawn cells.  As the eggs hatch and grow, the workers will finish building the cells so that they are ready to cap when the larvae starts to pupate.

Offline The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Traveler of the Multiverse, Seeker of Knowledge
« Reply #18 on: April 16, 2018, 12:57:58 am »
DON'T remove frames as they will build wild comb in the space instead of drawing out your frames.   The inner cover will help them retain the heat.  You can also but newspapers or other insulating material on top of the inner cover and around the jar if you are still worried.  But unless you think it is going to drop below freezing  I think the inner cover alone is enough.

Sorry, don't mean to hijack the thread or anything, but I'm having a sort of similar situation.  I just installed my two packages on Friday, and it's going down to 28 degrees Fahrenheit tomorrow night for us here in NC (that's -2 Celsius for anyone not in America).  I have each package in 2 mediums, but I have sugar bricks on top of the frames of the bottom box, so the 2nd box has no frames in it, then inner cover, outer cover.  Do I need to insulate them in any way for tomorrow night?       
I come from under the hill, and under the hills and over the hills my paths led.  And through the air, I am she that walks unseen.

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
« Reply #19 on: April 16, 2018, 08:21:01 am »
I wouldn't worry about insulating them,  but I would get rid of the sugar block and feed them 1:1 warm syrup instead.   It is not easy for them to consume the sugar block.

I would suggest putting the inner cover over the bottom box with bees and then inverting a jar of warm syrup over the inner cover hole.   then the empty 2nd hive box and top cover.   Make two jars of syrup and keep one in the house,   every 12 hours sway out the jar on the hive for a new one.   

The bees will keep themselves warm if you provide them with food that is easily consumed (warm syrup, they will not take cold syrup)  they have no brood yet that they need to keep warm.  Since you are in NC, the low temps will only be temporary and sporadic.  Syrup will encourage them to draw wax,  sugar alone will not as it requires them  effort to process.    I have used this many times here in NY in March with newbies and it works great.   Just keep them with syrup they can consume 24/7.   Since you are using mediums you will need to keep any eye on their growth and add the second box quickly.  I always use deeps for brood boxes.

« Last Edit: April 16, 2018, 08:31:50 am by Robo »