Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Brian D Bray  (Read 3754 times)

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
Brian D Bray
« on: April 08, 2018, 02:05:38 pm »
Several people have asked about Brian D Bray. So when I could not contact him I asked my son to do a deep search.
I just talked at length with Brian. He is not doing well. He is in pain all the time and cannot sit in front of a computer. He is now in hospice with 4 to 6 months to live. He is okay  with that and has all of his affairs in order.  He still loves Beekeeping and is teaching his daughter Jody how to take care of his bees since he can no longer do it. He was not able to finish writing his book and appoligizes for that. His memory is failing him and words can be hard to come by.
Hopefully Jody will join BeeMaster and take over ?keeping beeks like Finski in line? :cheesy:  His words.
He no longer has an email since he does not use a computer.
Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.
For the long time BeeMaster members if you want to give him a call, PM me. He loves to talk about bees. For his sake, I will bee very selective as to who I send it to.
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
Re: Brian D Bray
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2018, 02:54:35 pm »
I just want to thank you Jim for for the follow up on Brian and thanks to your son for doing the ground work to find him. Though I have never talked to Brian, I do feel that I knew him as an old friend
as I think I had mentioned in a previous topic. When he was a member here and a regular "poster"
And I was  just a guest,  it was always a pleasure when he chimed in, or for that part, started a new topic. He was always gracious, always kind, always a polite "host" to someones inquiries. Eager to share his learned knodlege and experience about  bees, or life in general, always patient with a new beekeeper or an old pro. Never rude, never short, never high heady,  always giving, always a gentleman.  And his service to his fellow man, his fellow citizen as a law officer is more than commendable. To sacrifice what he did for the betterment of each American is to be admired!!  By reading his post, I learned that he was in a wheel chair, paralyzed from the waist down and yet still had the will to continue tending to his bees 🐝 And teaching others. I had learned from a PM from Robo a few days ago that he was in this chair because of injuries inflicted while in the line of duty.  I am glad you found him before he passes on, I am also glad that he has his affairs in order. If by some chance that you can read this or have it read to you Brian D Bray I am saying to you God Bless you for your time and service to your fellow man, Mr. Brian D Bray!!  Sincerely, Phillip Hall "Ben Framed" and BTW Brian, I have never been arrested, that is just a joke. But if by some chance that I had been on the wrong side of things, I would have been honored have been arrested by you Kind Sir!!!  Again Sincerely, Phillip Hall
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline sc-bee

• Super Bee
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2018, 03:44:18 pm »
Ben Framed thanks for the description of Brian. I could not have said it better. Many on this page now could learn from his character traits and how he choose to compose his helpful post which were void of criticism and absent of haughtiness. I knew Brian was in a chair but was not aware it was from injuries suffered in the line of duty. Indeed God Bless You Brian Bray SIR.

Jim- thanks for the follow-up. I feared the news would be illness etc. I am glad you spoke with Brian and send him our best regards and let him know of the POSITIVE impact he made on the keepers of Beemaster.

John 3:16

Offline eltalia

• Queen Bee
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2018, 07:24:27 pm »
Several people have asked about Brian D Bray. So when I could not contact him I asked my son to do a deep search.
I just talked at length with Brian. He is not doing well. He is in pain all the time and cannot sit in front of a computer. He is now in hospice with 4 to 6 months to live. He is okay  with that and has all of his affairs in order.  He still loves Beekeeping and is teaching his daughter Jody how to take care of his bees since he can no longer do it. He was not able to finish writing his book and appoligizes for that. His memory is failing him and words can be hard to come by.
Hopefully Jody will join BeeMaster and take over ?keeping beeks like Finski in line? :cheesy:  His words.
He no longer has an email since he does not use a computer.
Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.
For the long time BeeMaster members if you want to give him a call, PM me. He loves to talk about bees. For his sake, I will bee very selective as to who I send it to.

All why when a poster "lets go" they should be allowed the dignity
deserved in a quiet exit. As well intended some are I can reount myself
first hand "pain" borne of a situation where doGooders made the
circumstance far more dificult for both the living and the dying then need
be.
The Internet is a public place, no boundries, no controls.
Personal private matters just do not have a place in that until you yourself
make it so. I urge those so inclined as to think on that before leaping
into Good Faith pursuits. You could not know what damage you may do.

[topic 0ff]

Bill

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2018, 07:47:30 pm »
Eltalia,
Not exactly sure of what you are saying but I totally agree that in some circumstances we should be able to make the decision to die in piece and not have to endure a long drawn out painful death that most present laws require. I just dealt with this with my father in law. He had to starve himself for 3 weeks when he should have been allowed to die the first day of his ordeal.
As to the second part, I think you are saying that I should not have posted this. I talked at length with Brian and specifically asked him if it was okay to let everyone know what is going on.
He is in constant pain but he is at piece with his life and where he is going. He has lived for 40 years with the pain he is in and I know from first hand experience with my son how bad that can be.
He really just needs our prayers.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2018, 08:42:27 pm »
I talked at length with Brian and specifically asked him if it was okay to let everyone know what is going on.
Thanks Jim.  I did not know him but I am thankful to know of him.  He will be in my prayers.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Offline moebees

• House Bee
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2018, 09:49:38 pm »
Thanks Jim.  I am new to the forum and obviously don't know Brian but have a friend in hospice right now so my heart goes out to anyone in such circumstances.  God Bless.
Bee-keeping is like raising Martians  - Isabella Rosselini

Offline eltalia

• Queen Bee
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2018, 10:26:08 pm »
"As to the second part, I think you are saying that I should not have posted this"

No Jim, not at all. In fact given the 'strength' of the original enquiry and all that follows
that I really do believe you had no choice but to "put it to bed" so to speak.
My post simply says "let those who go do so with dignity intact".

Pursuing past posters, and seeking background noise around that activity, is
not the actions of a truly caring person - they are simply using a tool, poorly.
I reckon you did right Jim, made the best of a poor pursuit by others.

I respond to this closed topic in deference to that thankless
"Job" as Moderator. Cheers.

Bill

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2018, 11:22:54 pm »
Thanks for clearing that up Bill.
Jim
Ben Franklin

Offline eltalia

• Queen Bee
« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2018, 05:48:13 am »
Thanks for clearing that up Bill.
Jim

:thumbs up:

All good, Jim.

Bill

Offline GSF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2018, 10:18:44 am »
Jim, thanks for the post. We will be praying for him. Life has a way of turning on you.
When the law no longer protects you from the corrupt, but protects the corrupt from you - then you know your nation is doomed.

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2018, 02:29:34 pm »
Thanks for that info.  I had been thinking about some of the people, Brian among them, who had been so helpful to me when I started.  He was happy to scold me when I screwed up too!   :grin:

Our lives are eventually measured by what we leave behind.  I hope Brian will rest easier knowing that in addition to all the other things he did in life, he leaves some better educated and more confident beekeepers. 
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline cao

• Super Bee
« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2018, 12:07:59 am »
Our lives are eventually measured by what we leave behind.  I hope Brian will rest easier knowing that in addition to all the other things he did in life, he leaves some better educated and more confident beekeepers. 
Very well put.  I agree completely.

Online The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Traveler of the Multiverse, Seeker of Knowledge
« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2018, 06:57:21 pm »
As a new member I obviously didn't know Brian either, but whenever I'm digging through old posts I love to hear his opinion.  I followed his instructions on what to buy for my first year almost exactly.  What a wonderful description of him, Ben Framed!  That's exactly the impression I got of him.  Thanks for doing the research, Jim.  Even as someone not heavily invested, it's nice to have some closure about what happened to him.   
I come from under the hill, and under the hills and over the hills my paths led.  And through the air, I am she that walks unseen.

Offline Beth the BEEutiful

• Brood
« Reply #14 on: June 19, 2018, 03:28:08 pm »
Hello everyone. This is my 1st posting. I am, Beth Fairchild and a sister to Brian D. Bray. I have been deeply touched by the kind and wonderful comments made about Brian. They are all true. He taught me the basics of beekeeping back in 1967, not long before he volunteered for the US Army. As indicated above Brian has been under the care of hospice. I would go over to his house (formerly our parent's home) nearly every day, and we would share memories and laughs of our childhood together. We were the two middle children and got along better together than with any of our siblings. When I discovered this thread, I printed it off and shared it with Brian. He was deeply touched. We were both brought to tears. He was so grateful that his advice lives on in this forum and will continue to help beekeepers. Brian, his family, and I want to thank Beemaster International and its members of this forum for the kindness and concern you have shown, Brian.
As an updated on Brian's condition, He was remarkably lucid and communicative up until Monday, a week ago. Since then he declined sharply and finally passed this past Sunday, Father's Day and his second son's 42nd birthday. While he was able, he blessed and consoled all the family and friends who visited him. His chief concern was the welfare and happiness of those he was leaving behind. Kind, gentle, generous, and helpful to the very end. Below I have pasted his obit (hopefully that is alright).
http://www.evanschapel.com/obituary/brian-bray?lud=CB1389B4093E04F5B28F11D1B9572A9B

I was first introduced to beekeeping as Brian's substitute for his 3 Seattle Times newspaper routes. One of his customers was a kind and gentle old soul who was a retired barber and longtime beekeeper. Mr. Girsch began keeping bees in the late 19th century and was a virtual encyclopedia of all things beekeeping. He became Brian's mentor. I sometimes tagged along with Brian & Mr. Grisch while they were out catching some errant swarm, but more often I subbed for Brian on his paper routes so he could receive his training with Mr. Grisch. It was Brian's dying wish that I edit his memoirs which I promised to do. I consider it a sacred trust. As you may imagine Brian's memoirs include significant discussion of beekeeping. Since Brian has passed, if I have questions about beekeeping I am hoping to be able to find the answers here.
Again, God bless you all for what you meant to Brian and your good wishes and prayers for him. Thank you.
Sister of the late Brian D. Bray

Offline Anybrew2

• House Bee
« Reply #15 on: June 19, 2018, 06:13:40 pm »
That's very sad indeed, I enjoyed his comments as they were always helpful and kind. The world has lost a nice man, even though I never met him I think it was obvious that he enjoyed being a nice bloke and helping others.

Cheers
Steve

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #16 on: June 19, 2018, 08:52:22 pm »
Beth,
Thanks you for the update. I am so sorry for your loss.
It is great to have you here on BeeMaster. I am also glad that you plan on finishing his book. A lot of old timers here, including myself, would like to buy a copy.
Jim
Ben Franklin

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #17 on: June 19, 2018, 09:35:52 pm »
My condolences as well Miss Beth, may God richly bless you and your family in this time of Brian's departure from  this earth to his Heavenly eternal home!!  Sincerely Phillip Hall "Ben Framed"
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline sc-bee

• Super Bee
« Reply #18 on: June 19, 2018, 10:21:08 pm »
Sorry for your loss.... Brian was indeed a sought out resource on the page. We have greatly missed him. Prayers sent....
John 3:16

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #19 on: June 20, 2018, 11:33:35 am »
I'm sorry to hear he has passed.  He was a blessing to a lot of people.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #20 on: June 20, 2018, 12:05:03 pm »
I am sorry Brian has passed.  Thank you for the update.  I, too, would be interested in his book.
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
« Reply #21 on: June 20, 2018, 02:16:42 pm »
My condolences. He will be missed.
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline GSF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #22 on: June 20, 2018, 02:32:30 pm »
Thank you Beth. Rest with the good feeling knowing that he'll be waiting for us on the other side.
When the law no longer protects you from the corrupt, but protects the corrupt from you - then you know your nation is doomed.

anything