Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Early Split Followup  (Read 1574 times)

Offline Beeboy01

• Field Bee
  • Oh Look A Honey Bee !!!
Early Split Followup
« on: April 06, 2018, 03:23:44 pm »
Had a chance to check the early split from twelve days ago. The split was quite for about an entire week with only a few bees flying. Suddenly after the first week the activity at the entrance increased big time, I'm guessing the house bees that came over with the split turned into field bees as the brood hatched. Four days ago I spotted pollen coming into he hive which made me curious as to what was going on, maybe a laying worker making drones. Set up a get together and inspection yesterday with two newer beekeepers who needed some more time in the bee yard and opened up all my hives.
   The split was doing well and had three nicely developed queen cells on one frame, it was a little early to inspect the hive but I was relieved to see that the bees were making queens not drones. I rolled one Q cell that was on a separate frame which was a bummer cause I hoped to build a nuc with any extra cells that turned up. Hope I didn't injure the other queen cells.
   I ended up moving another five frames of brood and honey out of the remaining hives to make a second early split which will be sold to one of the beekeepers who was helping.  I'm keeping the second split in my yard for a month till it gets queen right and then letting him pick it up. Don't trust his level of experience to be able to pick up on problems yet. I also supered up my three main hives getting ready for the Saw Palmetto which will start soon.
  My plan for April is to feed the splits, monitor my other three hives by peeking in the top looking for a honey flow and work on equipment. With three hives and the split working out I'm going to be close to max for equipment this year. Cautiously optimistic so far.

Offline jtcmedic

• Field Bee
    • Sweetest sting honey
Re: Early Split Followup
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2018, 04:27:41 pm »
I?m in the same boat as you, wating for my splits to take off, I am giving one of mine to a new keeper that my wife is friends with, good karma will come my way I hope.

Offline Beeboy01

• Field Bee
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2018, 05:26:03 pm »
It's a combination of swarm control and hive expansion along with getting a honey crop. sounds simple doesn't it? LOL. Setting up a hive for a new beekeeper is the cherry on top.
  Now I just need to leave everything well enough alone for a couple weeks.

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2018, 05:59:09 pm »
Had a chance to check the early split from twelve days ago.
According to the calendar that I use you should be right close to hatching those queens.  I would say you missed your chance to use any of the other cells.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Offline Beeboy01

• Field Bee
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2018, 07:30:51 pm »
Ace, I could of cut the cells out of the comb and moved them but didn't want to take a chance of killing them plus I'm only interested in expanding to four hives. This was the first time I have gone in a hive early, usually I wait a full 3 weeks or more and check for fresh brood/eggs to see if the hive is queenright. I was concerned about seeing pollen coming into the hive and having a possible laying worker. I was 4 days early for the queens to hatch out. Next time I'll give it a full 16 days and see if I can catch a virgin queen.

Offline jtcmedic

• Field Bee
    • Sweetest sting honey
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2018, 07:57:40 pm »
I use a queen calendar Ohio beekeeping one . It works great usually +or minus 2 or 3 days but close. But it is hard to not peek in.

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2018, 09:01:21 pm »
Beeboy I would love for you to go in tomorrow and see if the cells are open.  Here is the site:  <thebeeyard. org>
Just so you know I never ever get concerned about bees bringing in anything.  I get concerned when they don't.  Because that means the pressure is on me.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Offline jtcmedic

• Field Bee
    • Sweetest sting honey
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2018, 11:15:05 pm »
Beeboy I would love for you to go in tomorrow and see if the cells are open.  Here is the site:  <thebeeyard. org>
Just so you know I never ever get concerned about bees bringing in anything.  I get concerned when they don't.  Because that means the pressure is on me.
Ace I love this site, they weren?t updated last month so I see they fixed it. http://www.thebeeyard.org/queen-rearing-calendar/ it reminds me of home in Halstead Pa.

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2018, 09:02:52 am »
I use their calendar every time I make a split.  It is important to stay out of the hive during the sensitive developmental phase.  It is about the only thing I have records on for my hives.  They recommend requeening in 41 days if there are no sign of eggs.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it