Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Bee Hive Stand Buy / Build  (Read 1664 times)

djgriggs

Bee Hive Stand Buy / Build
« on: April 03, 2018, 11:12:18 am »
Hello All..  I am a new bee keeper , well I will be by mid / late this month :cool: , I have everything ready with the exception of a beehive stand. I have two Hives . One with foundation and one without.

From my understanding for the one without foundation I need to have it as level as possible is this correct. Also What is every ones thoughts on building vs buying a stand...... Please feel free to send all of your thoughts this way for build ideas as well.

Thank you
DJ

Offline Hops Brewster

• Field Bee
Re: Bee Hive Stand Buy / Build
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2018, 01:22:51 pm »
My thoughts;
Beekeeping is expensive enough.  I cut costs where it makes sense.  My hive stands are (used, 50 cents apiece) cinder blocks spaced about 3 ft apart with 2 (used, free) treated 2x6 laid on them, upon which I place 2 or 3 hives. 

Your location might require measures such as oil trays to help control ants or SHB.  Build as expensive and fancy as you wish.  Aesthetics have value too, but I don't particularly care if my hives are the prettiest garden decorations in the area.  Some other people have different priorities than I.

Level enough is level enough.  I am more concerned with having the back of the hive tilted slightly higher than the front so that any excess moisture can drain out the front.
Winter is coming.

I can't say I hate the government, but I am proudly distrustful of them.

Offline jtcmedic

• Field Bee
    • Sweetest sting honey
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2018, 01:38:50 pm »
I do concrete block and 4x6x8  25.00 total from big box store. Can fit 3-4 on it.

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2018, 01:49:49 pm »
I don't use stands I use used pallets.  Hives get too high for a stand.  Level is of no concern with a SBB.  Level side to side is important for foundationless and not important from front to back.  Asking the question "build" means you must know how.  Build usually gets what you want.  Buy usually means a compromise.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Offline GSF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2018, 01:58:49 pm »
Just make sure it will be strong enough to hold a couple hundred pounds
When the law no longer protects you from the corrupt, but protects the corrupt from you - then you know your nation is doomed.

djgriggs

« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2018, 02:33:56 pm »
Everyone has great points.

I am not interested in looking pretty. As mention it is expensive , Not knowing what was what I had purchased 3 hives originally ( 2 langstroth, 10 frame and one 8 frame cypress )  for $500 Turns out that the inside of both Langstroth hive there is a ton of moth damage , the wood is all eat up. I have sense cleaned them up as much as I could Even cleaned the frames and foundations. Honestly I am afraid to use them because the of the condition ( I was only able to get the boxes, frames and foundation only so clean , ,still does not look great ).. thinking that I could not use them I purchased two cypress hives.. ( 2 brood boxes and two medium supers , Frames and foundations for one hive and foundationless for the other ) . That and the tools. I think I am moneyed out for now. :)

For the stands I am just looking for something sturdy . I was thinking something like this at first.... but not for sure..

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2018, 03:12:54 pm »
I would encourage you to consider not building a common stand but keep the hives separated.

https://youtu.be/T7CB8E7jKBc
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

Offline Beeboy01

• Field Bee
  • Oh Look A Honey Bee !!!
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2018, 05:27:52 pm »
I use three cinder blocks per hive, one across the front with the other two supporting the sides. On to pf that goes a wooden frame made out of pressure treated 2x4's and 4x4's.  Then I have home made SBB's that use trays and then the hive itself. 
  The cinder blocks help support the weight of the hive while the 2x frame distributes the weight evenly on the blocks. Remember a big production hive full of honey can weigh over  500 pounds and needs a wide base where it sits on the ground so it won't dig in.
  My setup costs about $4.00 for the blocks if I buy them new and another $3.50 for the pressure treated 2x4 and will last just about forever.

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2018, 05:35:09 pm »
After watching the presentation it would seem beneficial to leave the inside of the box rough sawn to encourage propolise.  it would also cut cost and make for a thicker lumber stock.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Offline Oldbeavo

• Queen Bee
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2018, 05:53:55 pm »
Level sideways is good, slope from back to front is important to stop rain from running down the hive front and does not enter the hive entrance.

anything