Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Using 10 Frame Queen Excluder on 8 Frame Hive?  (Read 2498 times)

Offline The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Traveler of the Multiverse, Seeker of Knowledge
Using 10 Frame Queen Excluder on 8 Frame Hive?
« on: March 24, 2018, 01:22:41 pm »
Ok, so I'm kind of in a bind here.  My packages are arriving next Thursday.  I ordered some queen excluders to use as queen includers for them, but the excluders are backordered and may not get here in time.  My local farm store has 10 frame excluders in stock, could I use a 10 frame excluder on an 8 frame hive?  Obviously it would stick out over the edges, but would it really matter?  If I can't use the excluder whole, could I somehow cut one up and turn it into 2 swarms guards? 
I come from under the hill, and under the hills and over the hills my paths led.  And through the air, I am she that walks unseen.

Offline little john

• Super Bee
Re: Using 10 Frame Queen Excluder on 8 Frame Hive?
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2018, 04:54:44 pm »
As I understand your plan, it's to place a QX over the entrance of a standard Langstroth hive ?  If so, then within reason, almost any form of QX would do that job.

Even if your excluders were of wooden-framed wire construction (excellent excluders, but worst-case here), then I'm sure they would do the job ok - even if you needed to pack gaps at the side with some foam rubber or cardboard.  After all, it's only the queen you're trying to restrain.

Yes - you can certainly cut them up as required.  The plastic ones being the easiest to cut (obviously), and probably the best for your immediate purpose.
LJ
A Heretics Guide to Beekeeping - http://heretics-guide.atwebpages.com

Offline The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2018, 06:46:11 pm »
Actually what I was asking is can I stack a 10 frame QX on top of an 8 frame bottom board, i.e. bottom board, then excluder, then 1st box, etc.  But now that I've been thinking about it that question doesn't really matter, because I'd probably rather just buy 1 10 frame QX, cut it up, and cover both entrances, instead of buying 2 10 frame excluders, using them whole, and then never needing them again.  Thanks, little john.   :happy:         
I come from under the hill, and under the hills and over the hills my paths led.  And through the air, I am she that walks unseen.

Offline eltalia

• Queen Bee
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2018, 08:01:28 pm »
Okay... I'll be the Mugs Malone and ask why it is you
are seaching that method of QX on an entrance?
What denys placing one directly over the entrance?

Bill

Offline little john

• Super Bee
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2018, 04:40:40 am »
[...] I'd probably rather just buy 1 10 frame QX, cut it up, and cover both entrances, instead of buying 2 10 frame excluders, using them whole, and then never needing them again.  Thanks, little john.   :happy:   

Good one ...  Flexible thinking - can't beat it.

I don't know what your future plans are - but unwanted QX material is alway worth storing away (providing you have the space) - as it's useful when queen-rearing, and some folks even use it across the entrance of boxes (as you are presently doing) to help contain newly-caught swarms.

Will you also be putting-out swarm traps, once your packages are installed ?
LJ

Offline Anybrew2

• House Bee
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2018, 05:09:01 pm »
Yes,I have done it heaps it just looks ugly. But I'm not that pretty either and the Bee's don't care.

Cheers
Steve

Offline eltalia

• Queen Bee
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2018, 07:32:46 pm »
Huh!??
...now I truly am bamboozzl'd..!..how in Lang's name
is a fitted QX over an entrance "ugly", or so hard to bespoke
a manufactured product has to be cutup??

Attached is the example of my queen rearer which employs
three - left to right is Open:Closed:4.5mm restricted (QX).

Sure has to be a matter of perspective, like " not attractive
garden furniture"???

Biil

Online Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2018, 08:05:55 pm »
I am not sure why you think you need them with a package?  The package is shipped with the queen in it and if she's in a box you/they won't let her out right away anyway. 
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline eltalia

• Queen Bee
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2018, 09:20:54 pm »
I am not sure why you think you need them with a package? 

It is good(safe) practice to restrict the queen until at least half a brood cycle
to ensure bees get no impetus to abscond/split. Applies anytime manipulations
include queening manouvres (sp?).

Bill

Offline The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2018, 02:53:28 pm »
I don't know what your future plans are - but unwanted QX material is alway worth storing away (providing you have the space) - as it's useful when queen-rearing, and some folks even use it across the entrance of boxes (as you are presently doing) to help contain newly-caught swarms.

Will you also be putting-out swarm traps, once your packages are installed ?
LJ
Don't worry, I'm the kind of person who never gets rid of anything on the off chance I may need it.   :wink:  I'm planning on putting up swarm traps at some point.  I've had so much to do with getting ready for the packages that I've sort of put it on the back burner.  Are you asking because you think it's a good idea to have some up if they are so inclined to abscond? 

Huh!??
...now I truly am bamboozzl'd..!..how in Lang's name
is a fitted QX over an entrance "ugly", or so hard to bespoke
a manufactured product has to be cutup??

Sure has to be a matter of perspective, like " not attractive
garden furniture"???

Biil
Ugly is definitely a matter of perspective.  Yours certainly does look nice.  I bet mine aren't going to look that good!   :cheesy:     

Speaking of which, what's the best way to attach it to the front?  Duct tape?  Staple gun?  My sister painted my boxes really pretty for me, so I'd rather not do anything that causes excessive cosmetic damage, but I'll do what I've gotta do.     

Offline little john

• Super Bee
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2018, 04:20:17 pm »
Don't worry, I'm the kind of person who never gets rid of anything on the off chance I may need it.   :wink: 
LOL - you're singing my tune ...

I'm planning on putting up swarm traps at some point.  I've had so much to do with getting ready for the packages that I've sort of put it on the back burner.  Are you asking because you think it's a good idea to have some up if they are so inclined to abscond? 
Not at all - I'm just being curious (aka 'nosey' !).  Most new beekeepers seem to focus on catching swarms - I know I did - just wondered if you had such plans.  There's not much expense involved (if any) - and you might just get lucky ... :smile:

[...]  or so hard to bespoke a manufactured product has to be cutup??
Not so much 'hard' - just more economical to cut-up just the one QX.

Speaking of which, what's the best way to attach it to the front? 
If the QX is thin enough - then I'd suggest drawing pins (thumb tacks).  If it's plastic and a tad too thick for that - then just loop some string around the box ?
LJ

Offline The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2018, 05:10:48 pm »
Well this whole thing just became a moot point.  I just got an e-mail from my package supplier saying that the weather around here is going to push back package shipping, and I won't be getting them until April 11th now.  That means that my 8 frame excluders will definitely be here in time.  Thanks so much everybody for all the advice anyway, I'm sure I'll use it in the future.  Maybe this delay will give me time to put up some swarm traps....   

Offline eltalia

• Queen Bee
« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2018, 05:41:54 pm »
 " Yours certainly does look nice"
[preens n struts]

My son has not got your eye, tellya! :-)))

"Dad, yer sure not getting any better at it
with ALL that age AND practice"

"It" being wood bashing :-))

Bill